Exercising & Sculpting your body while pregnant?

Guppy051708

2 by Sea 2 by Land
Reaction score
Bc of a thyroid condition i have always been significantly overweight. Before I got pregnant with this baby, I had lost about 25lbs, beyond my baby weight, but still very far from a healthy weight. Obviously, once i got my :bfp: i stopped trying to lose weight. (kept up with good eating habits as best i can with hypermesis). I also am well aware that exercise during pregnancy is a good thing (not overdoing it of course). I am excited to get back on the weightloss journey, once I am PP.
What i am wondering about is sculpting different body parts, like my arms and thighs, that sort of thing. Is it possible to sculpt these body parts without losing weight? Remember, i am overweight so there is a lot of "cushion" covering any muscle i do have. I know in order to kick the surpluss fat, i need cardio (which would lead to weightloss and i know thats a no-no while im pregnant). Is it possible to get decent looking arms without making me appear heavier (Since there is unburned fat on top)? Im not sure if im making any sense. Nor have i attempted anything, but im just wondering how that works in pregnancy and such. It would be nice to work something over the next few months.

Am no expert but with my first pregnancy I continued to go to 3-4 spiining classes a week, which kept my legs well toned. Postpartum I suffered with Pelvic girdle pain and the advice from the physio was to continue with the spinning, I then fel pregnant agaon and the advice is the same keep spinning... I feel better for it, I have the opposite problem to yourself and struggle to keep or put weight on... so I try and tone up so I dont look so bony!
I think any form of exercise that tones your muscles is fine, even if you have surpluss fat there, the muscles underneath will be more toned, it can only mae your postpartum journey an easier one.
I think the no cardio is a bit of a myth, if your sensible and do what your body is already used to or build up gradually your o.k, just listen to your body. I went spinning at 40 weeks pregnant, being so active really help me in labour too!
Just do what feels right for you, but if you feel pain then stop trust your body.

dont start lots of excercise if ur not used to it. ur body will also find it a strain bcos ur overweight,as i am. drs said go have a leisurely swim if ud like to tone.and just eat healthy.

this will be my last so im looking forward to getting my boy back again and it staying that way :)

oh im used to it, that's how i lost 25lbs :)
I just stopped for a few weeks bc i wasn't sure what i should and shouldnt be doing and whats effective or not during pregnancy.
I do think excercise is very important during pregancy as well, i just dont know what actually works when your pregnant.

if uv been doing it all along then yes carry on just listen to ur body and if u feel faint then stop.

maybe do some yoga or something rather then anything heavy

thanks hon <3

So i guess my bigger question is, will my arms actually look good for summer or will they not since im not relly burning fat since im not losing weight?...suppose the only way is to try and see how it goes...just dont want to look super thick is all.

thanks hon <3

So i guess my bigger question is, will my arms actually look good for summer or will they not since im not relly burning fat since im not losing weight?...suppose the only way is to try and see how it goes...just dont want to look super thick is all.

hunnie by the summer noone will be looking at our arms:haha:

you can still exercise :) Discuss your best options with your midwife. I have been swimming and doing a yoga pregnancy class and it has helped me to stay in good shape :) xx

I think toning is a great idea :). Lifting light weights would help tone the muscle and help you feel stronger. It would also help recovery time after baby is born.
I'm still lifting weights myself but I've lowered the amount of weight and intensity. Im also doing yoga and water exercises (both are great for toning)
I feel so much better after my workouts and it helps me sleep at night :)

I lift weight three times a week while pregnant and it's not a problem.

Also, losing weight /as a rule/ isn't a no-no during pregnancy, it's just that you shouldn't be off on a diet restricting calories and trying to drop tons of weight. If you happen to lose a little bit, you lose a little bit. Baby will take what it needs (obviously talk to your doctor about this, but it's not a strict "don't lose weight or you'll hurt the baby" sort of thing)!

Keep it up, lady - and good work!

It's prob best to check with your doctor and/or a personal trainer who has a good knowledge of exercise during pregnancy, but I am pretty sure you can still do cardio, but just not as intense as you did before. I've been told cycling (in the gym) is fine throughout pregnancy, and swimming is a great cardio and toning exercise.

The great thing about building up muscle is that it can help you to lose weight too - not loads and loads, but having more muscle speeds up your metabolism and keeps your body burning calories even when you're not working out, because muscles do their repair work and growth whilst you're not exercising. Sp yeah I get what you mean about fat covering the muscles but your muscles won't become like Arnold Schwarzenegger or anything!

So overall I would give it a go if you're confident and used to exercising. And hopefully should leave you a step ahead when it comes to losing weight post birth :thumbup:

My personal trainer has me lifting weights 3x per week, with 15 min cardio on top of that. Then I try to get cardio in on other days. Cardio is not bad at all during pregnancy. Just listen to your body and don't overdo it. It helps in blood flow through out your body, increase in oxygen and to build up endurance to help with your up coming labour. Walking and swimming are fantastic:). Weight training will help you maintain those muscles you worked hard for before pregnancy. If you don't you may lose some of the progress that you have already made. Staying in a similar routine as prepregnancy will also make it easier to get back into it full swing after baby is born. But like others said, always check with your doctor:). Congrats on your weight loss!!!

Just curious, how hard of cardio are you doing while pregnant? Do you watch your heartrate?

I don't really watch my heart rate. If I think it is getting to high I check it on the machine. Anything over 150 I try to slow down a touch. They used to say nothing over 140, but that has been proven a myth. I just make sure I am able to carry on a small conversation.

I usually use the machine as well, to keep me in line with HR. Its easy to figure out target heart rate though and usually your body will tell you before you get into the "danger zone". For me my chest starts to hurt. But usually it doesn't get to that point bc the elipticial (or whatever machine im on) will tell me. And if i lift weights, since its not cardio, its not usually something i have to worry about.

Im starting a prenatal swimming class next week. Im excited about it. I took it when i was pregnant with DS1. Will be nice to socialize as well :blush: Plus its great bc i get stress fractures in my feet, even when i use the elipitical, so it eliminate that and it makes my bump feel weightless....well until i get out of the pool that is :haha:

Of course you can! Lift weights and do thousands of squats! You can also keep doing cardio. You won't lose weight if you eat enough to sustain your workouts. So when you workout, you need to up your calorie intake. You can expect to tone a little bit but be realistic. You can't build up a lot of muscle mass when pregnant. Your body is already focusing its energy on the growing baby, not growing your own muscles.

I swim about 3x a week and I love it! I can really see and feel a difference plus the baby likes it!

You have to lift heavy for a long time to put on a lot of muscle. You will probably mainly just be maintaining the muscle you have (which is good!) rather adding tons more so don't worry about it. Besides the belly ends up making everything else look smaller by comparison :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->