Exercising.

Tudor Rose

Mummy
Reaction score
is anyone exercising as normal?

im still doing my fitness dvd twice a week plus swimming and going on the strider, i dont do the high impact on the dvd which involves boucing about and jumping.

i was wondering with my growing bump should i slow down,

i do have mild SPD and siatica which plays up so at times i cant exercise.

I try to. But my excerising is going on the treadmill so its not like I am doing situps or anything! I didn't do a whole lot in 1st tri as I had severe morning sickness. I'm getting back into a routine now. I started to get mild SPD about two weeks ago and I found that the walking really helped.
I just make sure not to go too crazy, if I start getting cramps or really out of breath I stop. I also make sure to warm up before and cool down after the workout as to not strain anything.

I think it should be fine!

I am exercising as clost to normal as possible, now that the morning sickness has eased.

I think thats great, swimming and striding is excellent, but maybe aerobics dvd is a little too high impact at 22 weeks. I do a bit of yoga and pilates now to keep the muscles stretched and toned. I just wish I could get on my bike, i have loads of energy some days but lack of balance due to the dizziness is putting me off and I may fall off.
Id recommend getting a bump band (if you havent already got one) when doing any sort of movement as this will support the bump bouncing around and help prevent back ache.
https://www.more4mums.co.uk/p641/Carriwell-Maternity-Support-Bump-Tummy-Band/product_info.html

I would like to get back into my routine but have no idea what actions are actually safe to do.

Is it safe to do something that gets your heart rate up? or should that be avoided?

Im doing my 15 mins a day on the exercise bike, and a pre natel dvd twice a week. I feel fine but they say you should keep your pulse under 140bpm which i can keep track of on the heart monitor on my bike.

When you get out of breath and start panting, its time to stop (thats what she says on the dvd anyway)

Ive obviously not doing what I used to do as I just cant manage that now

my midwife said its perfectly fine to exercise like normal as long as ur pregnancy is going good.

I would like to get back into my routine but have no idea what actions are actually safe to do.

Is it safe to do something that gets your heart rate up? or should that be avoided?

My trainer told me it's okay to get your heart rate up, but not so much past 140 or so.

I am working out 5 days a week at the gym. I do about 30-40 min of weight lifting and then 30-40 min of cardio everyday. I used to lift quite heavy...so I have cut my weights down a bit so I'm not straining. I lift just enough to break a sweat, but not where I'm struggling to lift.

I use to walk 2 miles to work but since being pregnant, I get out of breath quickly so I cut it in half. I still think I need the exercise but trying not to over do it.

I can't do my normal exercise rountine as before, because I used to Jog or powerwalk up steep hills and have a high impact workout for 40min every morning as well as jogging on my treadmill for 30min every afternoon. I was getting too out of breath and since I am carrying twins I was advised to slow it down a bit.

These days I get up and am on the treadmill by 5:30am and I do a good moderate powerwalk for 30min, I find it actually really helps me get through the day.

iam in the wrong department but sore this thread. iam a fully qualified fitness instructor and trainning at a personal trainner at the moment and tbh hunni i would go and speak to your doc but i would slow down but if you are comfortable with exerciseing i dont see a problem but my word isnt gosbel but its a defo go see your doc and ask them if its ok to still exercise as i wouldnt want your exercises agrivate anything with the pregnacy.

I was told to never overwork yourself while pregnant and you'll be fine :shrug: xx

is anyone exercising as normal?

im still doing my fitness dvd twice a week plus swimming and going on the strider, i dont do the high impact on the dvd which involves boucing about and jumping.

i was wondering with my growing bump should i slow down,

i do have mild SPD and siatica which plays up so at times i cant exercise.

i'm still taking dance once a week, however, no sit-ups/crunches and i pace myself more. i've switched from regular yoga to prenatal yoga one a week as well. both of these have helped me feel better physically and mentally/spiritually. my midwife said dance classes are fine, as long as i'm not pushing myself and/or trying to prove anything to myself. i'm due june 19th and i realistically only see myself doing dance a couple-few more times. prenatal yoga i plan to do all the way to the end.

be well:hugs:

as long as you can hold a conversation at the end its ok,

thanx for your imput ladies:flower:, i may just do the warm up of the dvd and do an extra strider or swimming session in the week, dont wanna cause my self damage or anything happen to the baby, i walk every day anyway as i prefare to walk every where. i see my midwife in a week or so and i.l speak to her.

Im still doing my Boxersize class which involves pad and glove work and floor work including sit ups etc and I just do all I can, there is only one tummy one I cant manage as the impact is too high. My midwife last week told me I have got really strong tummy muscles which I was thrilled about!!
I have also started swimming once or twice a week and am doing more walking now the nights are lighter and the weather milder, cant wait till the summer to do more like cycling and stuff!
I think its so important to excersize especially during pregnancy, Im sure its helps to get your figure back and helps being fit in labour. As long as you know your limits its fine to do whatever, the only thing my instructor told me not to do was star jumps - i laughed and said i cant anyway, ill wet myself!!!!! lol!

thanx for your imput ladies:flower:, i may just do the warm up of the dvd and do an extra strider or swimming session in the week, dont wanna cause my self damage or anything happen to the baby, i walk every day anyway as i prefare to walk every where. i see my midwife in a week or so and i.l speak to her.

Hi Tudor Rose- interesting thread. Just wondering what kind of swimming you are doing/ how much? I am finding doing the front crawl quite difficult now (21 weeks) - as if things are stretching too far. Do you ever experience this? I find I am sticking to breast stroke most of the time but would like to know if I am just being a wimp.

I was a runner before I got pregnant and still am...I even ran a 5k last Saturday. So what if I was passed by some 8 year olds :). My doctor told me its okay to run as long as you go at a pace where you could have a conversation while you ran.

I have also been doing yoga. I am NOT going to a pre natal class because I have I wonderful instructor who is very knowledgable and she lets me know what adjustments I need to make in certain positions to make sure the baby is safe. She also lets me know what I can and cannot do.

What you can do in pregnancy depends on how fit you were before you got pregnant. If you have never exercised in your life, you are still allowed to exercise, but only swimming, walking etc. If , like me , you have always exercised it is perfectly safe to keep it up. The 140bpm for heart rate has actually been withdrawn as in pregnancy your heart rate varies significantly naturally. The guideline now says that as long as you are able to carry on a conversation while you work out you are fine. Obviously you should stop immediately is you have pain, bleeding, light head etc, but as long as your doc says its ok you can continue with your fitness programme while pregnant.
I am still attending Body Combat, Body Attack etc. If you tell the class instructor that you are pregnant, they will give you the low impact options.
Abdominal exercises should be avoided as you want your muscles to loosen to prepare you for stretching and pushing the baby out.
Resistance training is also safe in pregnancy if your body is used to it, although you should never be straining, so lower your weights.
The bottom line is that keeping fit during pregnancy set us up better for coping with labour and birth; you recover more quickly afterwards and research has shown that labours can be shorter and easier if you are fitter.

I know this has been a bit of a long rant, but I have researched this subject significantly to be sure of what is safe and my husband is a personal trainer who has also researched it to a great degree.

enjoy keeping fit in your pregnancy

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back