Expecting 1st and clueless about breastfeeding

GeralynB

Reaction score
I'll be 29 weeks tomorrow and want to breastfeed but it all seems so overwhelming I don't even know where to begin. How do you know baby is eating enough? When do you pump? How often does baby need to eat? Can I both breast and bottle feed or will it confuse him?? Any help/advice would be welcome.

Kellymom is a great website for this. Try this link for starters

https://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

Have a search for any FB support groups near you, I recently found one and it's been a great source of info. As far as everything else goes I would stick to the basics, don't worry about pumping just yet, as a general rule feed baby as and when he or she wants (and it might be A LOT), google early hunger ques, latch on and they baby will 'fall off' the breast when he or she has had enough. You can offer the second breast at this time but baby might not be interested. Start the next feed with the second breast, so starting with a different breast every feed. In the early weeks don't worry too much about routine, just feed on demand as this will increase your supply. Don't worry if baby is getting enough, its unlikely that they wont be, but if in doubt look for swallowing and milk around the mouth at the end of a feed! :)

Other posts gave you some great links -- kellymom is a wonderful resource. I'll answer your questions to the best of my knowledge, though, as someone who runs breastfeeding groups and has been trained in it to a degree.

How do you know baby is eating enough? If baby is peeing, pooing, and doesn’t have signs of dehydration, baby is most likely eating enough. Many babies lose weight after birth, and it’s completely normal, but rely on your baby and not the scale.

When do you pump? You don’t have to pump if you have no reason to do so. It will increase your supply, but then you might end up with over supply. Your milk will be produced based on supply and demand, so the more you pump after feeds, the more you’ll produce and the more you’ll be engorged and need to feed/pump.

How often does baby need to eat? Baby needs to eat whenever he or she is hungry. Babies give off hungry cues (crying with a dry diaper, sucking on fingers, rooting, etc.), so just feed your baby then. Your baby will tell you when he or she needs to eat.

Can I both breast and bottle feed or will it confuse him?? You can, but some babies do get nipple confusion if you do it too early. It’s usually recommended to wait at least 6 weeks before introducing artificial nipples (including pacifiers). Some babies can handle the switch off earlier, though.

Most hospitals have information for contacting a lactation consultant. I had the lucky experience of having a lactation consultant as one of my delivery nurses with my first baby and she was a great help when DS wasn't wanting to latch well. I highly recommend talking to one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->