Experience on iron tablets?

SonnyH

Reaction score
I know that tolerance of medication is totally dependant on the person but I just wanted to gather a few peoples experiences on ferrous sulphate?

I've just being diagnosed with 'quite bad' anaemia as my doctor said and prescribed with bog standard iron supplements. However, I'm really worried about the side effects. I have a long term issue with my stomach that means the muscles in my intestines don't work properly and I therefore suffer from chronic constipation and stomach niggles such as pain and bloating most of the time. Pregnancy certainly hasn't helped these problems!

From everything I've read and heard from friends, iron tablets are notorious for causing stomach ache and constipation which I'm desperate to avoid making worse! I had to stop taking my pregnancy multivitamin as it made me sick and even more constipated and I figured that was maybe because of the iron in them!

Should I just try them and see how I get on? Or are there alternatives out there I could speak to my doctor about? I do already take spa tone iron water every day but clearly my levels are too low for it to be helping :(

I had to take them. All they seem to do was give me an iffy stomach and bad constipation. I switched to the liquid form in the end. This tasted horrible but didnt seem to have the stomach/constipation issues. Not sure why.

Good luck !

I take chelated iron. Please ask and/or do your research about this. I live in the US and can get this form in an Honest brand prenatal vitamin, but I usually take Chelated Iron 25mg when not pregnant anyway.

You won't know for sure until you try! But like a PP said, the liquid stuff tastes horrible but I guess has less side effects. I used to work with a lot of elderly patients who needed it (liquid and tablet form) and most didn't have any issues.

Best of luck to you!

I took that kind after my daughter was born, I lost so much blood that they considered giving me a blood transfusion. I tolerated the iron you were prescribed really well.

My favorite kind of iron is ones that are made from whole foods, I love one called Blood Builder - I forget who makes it but it's found at just standard supplement stores.

Thanks guys! I've picked up the tablets today and will see how I get on. My heart palpitations are driving me bonkers, so I'm really hoping I can tolerate it and it makes them go away!

I was quite suprised to find out I was anaemic. I don't have any other symptoms bar these near constant palpitations and shortness of breath sometimes. I'm not particularly tired, or at least no more than a regular level of tiredness I generally feel in life! I always thought exhaustion was the main symptom!

The regular iron the dr prescribed me did not raise my levels. I was still anemic at delivery and hemhorrhaged. All they did to me was constipate me and make me feel sick. I can't say if it's the same iron you have, it was 5 years ago. Every pregnancy since I have started using 'blood builders' by mega food or 'healthy blood' by vitamin code. Made from actual food so no side effects and my level stays around 14. Very thankful to my friend who told me about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->