explaining sexuality to children?!

I don't remember ever learning what gay means, or what sex is or any of it. I think I always just kind of knew. My parent have always had friend that were gay so it just seemed normal to me, then I wasn't surprised when my mom stared dating women when I was in high school. I also was in "Take Back the Night" marches from about 6 years old, so of I not only knew what sex was but rape too.....then I wasn't happy with the children's explanation of sex so I went to the library and checked out medical texts. Now that I think of it, I was a strange child.

then I wasn't happy with the children's explanation of sex so I went to the library and checked out medical texts. Now that I think of it, I was a strange child.

I guess I was a strange child too! I used to look at the cross cut photos of what the male/female organs looked like. I was quite curious too! :blush: Perhaps too curious lol with my 5th one in the oven here! :muaha:

I think it is great that you guys are all raising your kids to be open-minded. Before getting married, I was always bi so I am totally open. I think it is hiding that people have "alternative" preferences is what causes all the problems. :)

I think it's a great idea. Children grow up knowing about Mummies and Daddies, so why not Mummies and Mummies and Daddies and Daddies?!

its hard when you dont feel your child is old enough to understand the explanation unfortunitly with they way the world is these days in a sexual context sex of any kind is everywhere so they ask questions a wee bit soon

oh dear i haven't had to talk to my kids about this yet because they are still young but gosh i am not looking forward to it

i think its brilliant you are open with your kids. there are ways to explain it to all ages in a way they understand and come school time they are going tp pick things up anyway. the world is full of homophobes so this is so good to hear.
i will explain it to my child asap, as a lesbian she is going to ask why she has no daddy.

It's just a subject we all kinda fall into when the need arises. I remember my daughter being about 4 when she started asking about what gay was. LOL, both of my kids have this "Oh fair enough" thing going on after I've explained something.

Never been one to sit them down and give a lecture..We end up having these sort of conversations while larking about doing the kitchen chores. They know they can ask me anything. Much rather they come to me than be fed misinformation in the schoolyard.

Luckily, we have very close friends that are gay. Actually, two sets! So Liam knows his "uncles" and his "aunts" very well already and when he gets old enough, we have all decided to sit down with him and talk about it. They are actually excited about the prospect. I wanted my son to be surrounded by all types of people because I want him to be open minded and tolerant. I also have a wide variety of friends of different races and religious affiliations and he just thinks everyone is part of the family! LOL :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->