expressing hurts!!!

lisac25

mum to 2 beautiful girls♥
Reaction score
so as the title says i tried to express using 2 different pumps one electric and one hand held, and they both really hurt, am i just being a baby??? it felt like it was gonna vacuum suck my nipple off lol and i seriosly didnt know my nipple could stretch that far!!!! someone help pleeeeease am i doing it all wrong??? would really love to be able to express as my OH would love to be able to give her a bottle, but its like torture at the mo x

oh and sorry if this is all tooooooooo much info lol :blush:

The pumps you have tried, which are they?

Do they have variable suction? Different Mums find different suction works best - on some pumps you control the suction by how far you press down the handle. On others, you can control it by using a dial. It is recommended that you start at the lowest suction, and gradually increase it until it gets slighly uncomfortable. Then turn it back down until it is comfortable again. Some women can only use the very lowest setting, others can have it high. It can vary depending on what mood your nipples are in too!

Another thing, what does your nipple look like when pumping? Does the side of your nipple rub on the tube as it is pulled into the horn?

a tommee tippee one and a snow bear baby one, my nipple doesnt rub on it, it just pulls it soooooo far in it feels like its gonna rip it off lol
oh and i'll add the couple of time i have tried them no milk came out :-(

I had the tommee tippee manual one and I now think it's just some form of medieval torture device!! I'm using the medela swing which is great. I think asacia is right about keeping suction low to begin with and build it up from there. Very easy to do on the swing but I never figured it out on the tommee tippee manual one properly so that was probably my problem. Does the manual have options for strength of suction?

I never got any milk on the tommee tippee one either, I think because my nipples were too terrified!! :rofl:

Have you tried changing the position of it? I don't know how big your boobs are, lol, but I find it easier to let my boob hang down and angle the pump the same way as otherwise it pulls in a different direction and hurts. Also try pumping a bit more gently, I found my hand pump hurt at first and then realised I was doing it too hard. Have you been massaging towards the nipple for the let down first? I also find it a lot easier to express when he's feeding. I find I don't get much if I just start pumping but if he's feeding off the other side I seem to just leak into the pump rather than having to actually pump, I just gently pump slightly to drain it off. Also try doing it first thing in the morning when you have more milk.

i have this one https://www.mothersdirect.com.au/ca...alogue/title/Medela+Harmony+Manual+Breastpump
and i cant reccomend it enough! You control how much suction there is and ive never once had any pain. And it seems to get me lots of milk so thats gotta be a good thing!

It's normal to pull it right in....freaky but normal ;)

Another one with the medela harmony. I was for packing it in when Amber was in special care and the hospital pump gave me mastitis, then special care gave me this pump and its bliss. Easy to use and very gentle.

I thought the same thing, with my medela hand pump, my DH bought a Avent on, and it didn't hurt at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->