Expressing is saving my sanity!.....

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
Hi,

Ive been breast feeding for almost 3 weeks and what with cluster feeding and LO falling asleep on the breast constantly I thought I was going to go crazy. The pressure that comes with being the only person who can feed a LO is incredible.
Anyway, a couple of days ago LO was falling asleep at the breast after 5 mins at every feed, then waking 10 mins later starving. I was basically attached to her 24/7. I was crying a lot and exhausted. DH said enough was enough and to switch to formula but I wasnt keen so decided to try expressing. I had the medela swing from dd1 and Dr Brown's bottles (although I do want to get medela calma). The first time I expressed I got 2.5. DH gave that to LO and although I felt a bit guilty as I know LO likes snuggling uo to my boob, I also knew that she would have a nice full tummy and be more satisfied. She was! She slept for 3 hours after. Result!
I still bring her into bed and BF her 'breakfast' around 6am and last night I comforted her by putting her in the breast once and hopefully I can continue to alternate.

So far so good :)

Hope things continue to work out for you. I agree about the pressure from being the only one to feed LO. My dd used to take a bottle of expressed milk from anyone but now she's picky and will only take it from me :dohh:

At such an early stage I would try and make sure you express when dd takes a bottle to try and keep your supply from slipping. I still do this now and I'm over four months in! Xx

Hope things continue to work out for you. I agree about the pressure from being the only one to feed LO. My dd used to take a bottle of expressed milk from anyone but now she's picky and will only take it from me :dohh:

At such an early stage I would try and make sure you express when dd takes a bottle to try and keep your supply from slipping. I still do this now and I'm over four months in! Xx

Thanks. I usually pump just before each feed so she gets the milk at body temp without being heated up. Somtimes I pump one side while she feeds on the other. Do you think thats enough to keep my supply up/increase or do you need to pump more than you would feed? I.e if she has 8 feeds per day (24hrs) should I pump more than 8 times?

I assume pumping per feed should work fine, perhaps if you have the energy pump more just to be on the safe side.

I'm really glad that expressing has helped you x

I'm with you 100%. My boy struggled to latch at first so my nipples are SO painful. Expressing is the only way I've been able to get my milk into him without me crying through every feed :cry:

Thanks. I usually pump just before each feed so she gets the milk at body temp without being heated up. Somtimes I pump one side while she feeds on the other. Do you think thats enough to keep my supply up/increase or do you need to pump more than you would feed? I.e if she has 8 feeds per day (24hrs) should I pump more than 8 times?

I have no idea as I tend to only give her one bottle a day. Perhaps there are some exclusive pumpers who would be able to help you out more. Perhaps finding a time to pump an extra feed a day might help you build a little stash though so that if ever you don't get enough out for LO you could use that. Although I don't know how you manage to find the time to pump as much as you do already lol! Xx

I have been thinking about expressing for some regular feeds as well... or at least starting to ine the next month or so. I love the bond of bf but I might need to go back to work part time this summer and want DD to be used to less actual boob if that happens since she uses it for major comfort right now.

I have been thinking about expressing for some regular feeds as well... or at least starting to ine the next month or so. I love the bond of bf but I might need to go back to work part time this summer and want DD to be used to less actual boob if that happens since she uses it for major comfort right now.

Our LO is a major comfort suckler too which is why I am trying to still bf for some feeds, and I also put her to the boob if shes stressed, got tummy ache etc and she instantly calms down in most cases. Maybe start by doing 1 bottle a day and whenever possible have someone else give it to her so shes also familiar with being fed by someone other than you.

You need to pump at least 8 times a day in the first 12 weeks, every 2-3 hours, including at night :) some people do more like 10-12 times. I never did though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->