• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Expressing whilst pregnant

princessellie

Pregnant with #3
Reaction score
Is it worth doing? I struggled with establishing supply with my two girls so I want to make sure I succeed this time. Is it actually safe to express while pregnant? I won't use up all the colostrum will I?

I don't think it will make any difference to the production of milk, as far as I am aware that is triggered hormonally by the removal of the placenta. But I wish I had expressed some colostrum when I was pregnant with my last as she went into the special care unit totally unexpectedly, had low blood sugar and I couldn't breastfeed her as she was on CPAP. I expressed in hospital but there was so much pressure to hurry up and nurses kept coming in to nag me about getting at least 3mls each time and it was really stressful.

You can't use it up it will still continue to be produced. Because it is in such small amounts it can be easiest to use a syringe to collect it, then pop the syringe in to a milk bag or sterilised Tupperware and in to the freezer.

Yup syringe is good. I had a bunch of 3ml syringes. I think most only got 1.5ml in them at a time.

Yup syringe is good. I had a bunch of 3ml syringes. I think most only got 1.5ml in them at a time.

Wow 1.5ml! Even after my LO was born, the most I got was 0.6ml and I was told that was loads for colostrum!

OP don't panic if you get zero, or only a few drops. Not everyone can express colostrum. Some do get loads as you can see from above :haha:, but not all of us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->