Extra Long Periods???

MrsR3AM5

TTC and Mommy to an angel
Reaction score
Hi all...just a question: I've usually had rather long periods...blegh! Used to be about 5 days when I was a teen, but then lengthened to a full 7 days. Yuck. Anyway...this time, we're on day 8 and still going strong...:growlmad:. Any clues as to what contributes to the length of time bleeding?
And any other ladies out there that go that long? I'm so jealous when I read those posts of "my period lasts 3 days..." I wish!

Do you have pain during AF or the rest of your cycle? I know that long periods can be associated with endometriosis, but hopefully that's not the case for you. Some women just have longer periods than others, too. Mine have always been around 3-4 days max.

Good Lord! As always, I am doing everything backwards. :wacko:

Mine used to be 7 days long, but now they are 5 days. This started about a year ago.
My cycles are longer now, too...31 days or so....again, started changing about a year ago.

Who is having 3 days of menses? I wish!

Why can't I ever be normal? :growlmad:

What is a typical menstrual period like?

During your period, you shed the thickened uterine lining and extra blood through the vagina. Your period may not be the same every month. It may also be different than other women's periods. Periods can be light, moderate, or heavy in terms of how much blood comes out of the vagina. This is called menstrual flow. The length of the period also varies. Most periods last from 3 to 5 days. But, anywhere from 2 to 7 days is normal.

For the first few years after menstruation begins, longer cycles are common. A woman's cycle tends to shorten and become more regular with age. Most of the time, periods will be in the range of 21 to 35 days apart.

MrsR...FYI....

https://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/menstruation.
https://www.livestrong.com/article/200851-what-causes-long-menstrual-periods/

If it last more than 8 days, you should see your doctor...:flower:

Do you have pain during AF or the rest of your cycle? I know that long periods can be associated with endometriosis, but hopefully that's not the case for you. Some women just have longer periods than others, too. Mine have always been around 3-4 days max.

No, my periods are not very painful at all...just a little heaviness on day 2. About a year ago, I was waking up in the middle of the night with pain on nite 2, but then went on BC and then off again, and now that nite cramping is gone too (thank goodness!). Wish mine were 3-4 days...

I suppose I should add that the only thing I've done differently is that I started take 81 mg of baby aspirin, as I've got concerns about an over-active immune system. Since aspirin is a blood thinner, do you think that's what's making it so long? On day nine and although the flow is *very* light, there's clumps still coming out. If it weren't for the clumps, I would say it's just spotting...???

I would stop the baby aspirin until a doctor tells you to take it.

My acupuncturist seems to think that clots are not good, and it is true I have far fewer since seeing her. As to the length, poor you! I have a three day af and am worried that indicates thin uterine lining, just goes to show what ever we have we will worry about it!
I have never heard of asprin for over active immune system, only immune suppressants and white cell blood transfusions. I agree with Dmom, don´t take it unless you Dr advised it. If they did ask about how it may affect AF.

I suppose I should add that the only thing I've done differently is that I started take 81 mg of baby aspirin, as I've got concerns about an over-active immune system. Since aspirin is a blood thinner, do you think that's what's making it so long? On day nine and although the flow is *very* light, there's clumps still coming out. If it weren't for the clumps, I would say it's just spotting...???

Yes, it must be the baby aspirin. The same thing happened to LL when she took it.

Curious as to why you think you may have immune system issues?

My cycles used to be all over the place...they're still not 100% regular, but are a lot more manageable these days. The longest I bled for was 14 days...of which 11 were 'heavy' days.
But my cycles were haywire due to my thyroid issues, due to Grave's Disease...an auto-immune disease.

And so...have you had your thyroid checked recently?

Curious as to why you think you may have immune system issues?

My cycles used to be all over the place...they're still not 100% regular, but are a lot more manageable these days. The longest I bled for was 14 days...of which 11 were 'heavy' days.
But my cycles were haywire due to my thyroid issues, due to Grave's Disease...an auto-immune disease.

And so...have you had your thyroid checked recently?

The reason I'm concerned about immune system issues is because I have hypothyroidism. Going for bloodwork to check levels this month...But since I've been on my levothyroxine, my periods are pretty regular.

However, I've researched autoimmune disorders (hypothyroidism falls into that category), and often the reason for hypothyroidism is from an over-active immune system (the cause for my disease has never been established...my thyroid "just stopped working" back in college, but no doctor ever found it till I was 33:growlmad:)...and sometimes an over-active immune system attacks the embryo as it tries to implant. I've been reading the book "Is your body baby friendly" and thought I would try the baby aspirin, as it didn't seem there were many side effects. It certainly didn't mention longer periods!

Have endocrine and ob/gyn appointments in November...but I just moved and it's taken a while to get in to see a brand new doctor, etc.

If they (you?) think your thyroid issues are auto-immune linked then I'm guessing you have Hashis? Not fun :hugs:

I'm more inclined to think your cycle blip is thyroid related, than aspirin related...so I'm glad to hear you're due to get your bloods done soon. When my cycle goes properly wonky it nearly always ties in with crappy bloods.

In my teens and early 20's my cycle was 29 days and my menstruation was 3 days, no more, no less....I could time the flow starting & stopping almost to the hour. Once my thyroid decided to spit the dummy...well my cycles and menstruation also decided to do their own thing....the worse my thyroid levels, the worse my cycle is.
But that being said, I do now tend to blame every out-of-the-ordinary thing on my thyroid levels....and charge it as guilty until proven innocent...and 99% of the time it is my thyroid levels to blame.

However, I wouldn't personally be adding any pills, aspirin or otherwise, without running it past my Endo first...just to be on the safe side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->