Extreme stress right after conception -- long-term impact on child?

cl86

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I just found out that I'm pregnant (currently 5 weeks). I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm having such mixed feelings. My husband and I had been trying for a baby for almost two years and were getting to the point of almost losing hope. It came as a total surprise that we got pregnancy this cycle after so many failed cycles and my continually declining health (thyroid getting worse, cycles getting longer, depression/anxiety getting worse). Although we did the deed this cycle, I really wasn't holding my breath that we'd get pregnant. But here we are.

I'm having mixed feelings instead of being overjoyed like I always expected I would be because I'm afraid that I've done grave harm to my pregnancy. I was under VERY EXTREME stress and eating poorly/skipping meals at the time of conception and continuing for a few days afterwards (not because I wanted to, but because of the stressful circumstances). The research I've done indicates that increased cortisol levels and malnutrition around that time can have a potentially huge impact on the long-term health of a baby. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of this research until after I discovered I was pregnant, and I am hating myself for not responding to the stressful situation differently/better. I really wasn't expecting that I would be pregnant, and in any case, I didn't think skipping a few meals would be harmful prior to implantation (which was wrong). I was wondering if anyone here happened to suffer severe stress right after conception and how that ended up impacting the long-term health of your child. Even if it ended up negatively impacting your child, I would appreciate hearing about it so I can be prepared. Thank you.

But - you’re presumably not actually malnourished - so certainly no need to worry about that part!

C186, worrying about what was happening up to and during the conception won't be helping you now, although I understand your concerns. What's most important now is to take control of your diet and stress levels and provide a good base for the rest of your pregnancy. I was lucky enough to not suffer from stress before or during my pregnancy but lots and lots of people begin their pregnancies at some of the most stressful times in their lives - my own mother was conceived during the 2nd world war and the bombing and total devastation of the town the family lived in, the evacuation to poor, but safer, accommodation etc. There is lots and lots of information available now telling us the very best way to do everything in our lives, these are the ideals in perfect circumstances, let face it, very few of us live day to day in 'perfect circumstances' and it's more about making the best of what we have. Congratulations on you BFP and a I hope the rest of you 9 months is more peaceful, relaxed and positive, but whatever happens you will hold your lovely baby at the end of it and smile and get on with your lives together in the way that works best for you both (no matter what the internet tells you the latest research say you should be doing/worrying about).

Please try not to worry. In an ideal world, we would all fall pregnant under the best circumstances and would be stressfree. However that's often not the way it works out. When I fell pregnant with my DD1 I had some issues with eating, I fell back into bad habits in restricting my calorie intake significantly. DD1 is healthy. When I conceived DD2 I was under a lot of stress due to a very worrying time with my health, the ensuing tests/waiting to find out/treatment and the fear that I would lose my LO. DD2 is very healthy and robust.

Thank you all for your replies and well wishes. I have struggled with anxiety for years, and finding out that I'm pregnant has really exacerbated things. I have been feeling such incredible guilt and worry over what I did/failed to do, and your responses have helped ease my anxiety. Thank you for sharing :)

Please do not worry, alot of people don't realise they are pregnant so quick and may have had alcohol etc in this time .This happened with all of mine as I didn't realise until a a missed period and honestly the stress has not appeared to do a thing (I know yours isnt realting to that however it is still stress)
Just try and let your midwife know to help you with anxiety through your pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->