Extreme stress right after conception -- long-term impact on child?

cl86

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I just found out that I'm pregnant (currently 5 weeks). I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm having such mixed feelings. My husband and I had been trying for a baby for almost two years and were getting to the point of almost losing hope. It came as a total surprise that we got pregnancy this cycle after so many failed cycles and my continually declining health (thyroid getting worse, cycles getting longer, depression/anxiety getting worse). Although we did the deed this cycle, I really wasn't holding my breath that we'd get pregnant. But here we are.

I'm having mixed feelings instead of being overjoyed like I always expected I would be because I'm afraid that I've done grave harm to my pregnancy. I was under VERY EXTREME stress and eating poorly/skipping meals at the time of conception and continuing for a few days afterwards (not because I wanted to, but because of the stressful circumstances). The research I've done indicates that increased cortisol levels and malnutrition around that time can have a potentially huge impact on the long-term health of a baby. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of this research until after I discovered I was pregnant, and I am hating myself for not responding to the stressful situation differently/better. I really wasn't expecting that I would be pregnant, and in any case, I didn't think skipping a few meals would be harmful prior to implantation (which was wrong). I was wondering if anyone here happened to suffer severe stress right after conception and how that ended up impacting the health of your child. Even if it ended up negatively impacting your pregnancy/child, I would appreciate hearing about it so I can be prepared. Thank you.

I’m sure everything will be find many of us go through a lot of stress during conception / pregnancy and our babies turn out fine.

I would have thought the other way around to be honest , more stress during pregnacy would be more harmful than at the point of conception.

Main thing now is to take extra care of yourself vitamins, good diet etc now that you are actually pregnant .

You can worry yourself sick when you start googling / researching , one of the main reasons I stopped . Congratulations on your pregnancy and try and relax x

Oh just to add I had a lot of stress not at conception but around 11/12 weeks with DD1. My little newborn niece passed away from medical issues . Obviously I was devastated , couldn’t eat / sleep , cried for what seemed like forever. Still suffer anxiety from her passing today (she would have been 6 in the summer) DD1 is absolutely perfect no negative impact on her what so ever ! My DDs are the lights of my life ! I’m sure your baby will be yours too !

Oh just to add I had a lot of stress not at conception but around 11/12 weeks with DD1. My little newborn niece passed away from medical issues . Obviously I was devastated , couldn’t eat / sleep , cried for what seemed like forever. Still suffer anxiety from her passing today (she would have been 6 in the summer) DD1 is absolutely perfect no negative impact on her what so ever ! My DDs are the lights of my life ! I’m sure your baby will be yours too !

Thank you so much for sharing your story, Babybump87. I'm so sorry about your niece. And I apologize that my question brought up difficult memories/feelings for you. That must have been such a difficult time for you and your family.

I'm so glad to hear that your DD1 is healthy. Congratulations on Baby #3! You're just a few weeks ahead of me (I'm on week 6). I wish you and your growing family much happiness! Thanks again for helping to ease my anxiety. I've struggled with anxiety for years, and being pregnant has made it a lot worse. Trying my best to reduce my anxiety/stress and eat better from here forward.

No problem ! I am quite happy to talk about her now in a positive light ! It will always be a hard thing to talk about but her memory lives on this way !

Thank you very much ! Congratulations to you too !!

I wish you a happy and healthy 9 months and beyond . Anxiety is a awful thing to go through just know there are always better days ahead. This forum brings lots of support and advice, don’t feel alone when times feel bad ! XX

Thank you so much! Yes, anxiety is awful, but thankfully these days it's far less stigmatized than it used to be and people are able to talk about it more openly. And thank goodness for wonderful resources like this forum that women can turn to for support :)

No personal experience, but do monitor your thyroid as having low thyroid levels can have an impact on brain development.

Thank you, @SarahBear . I am having them monitored every 4 weeks per doctor's orders.
Then I'd say just keep doing what you're doing. I have no idea how much stress at conception can impact a child, but the care you give yourself during pregnancy and the love you give your child after birth will be far more important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->