Eye Testing

anita665

Mum of 2 & expecting 3rd
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can get free or at least part paid for eye tests on the NHS?

My vision is normally really good and I can ready things really far away but quite worryingly, fairly recently I haven't been able to read writing on the TV or see the clock anymore. It's all blurry!! :shock:

- Free sight tests and optical vouchers are availbe to people exempt due to age (under 16 or over 60) and people with certain medical conditions. Also if you or your partner recieve Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Pension Credit Guarantee Credit or you have an NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate you are entitled to Vouchers towards the cost of glasses or contact lenses - But by just having your Maternity Exemption Certificate does not gain you this entitlement.

Some workplaces offer vouchers for free eye tests. Might be worth asking if you are working.

I am absolutely terrified of opticians *shudders*

xxx

I don't know anything about NHS (since I live in Canada) but I have heard that eyesight can change during pregnancy and normally corrects itself after the baby is born.

yep like vickie ive heard you shouldnt go for tests during pregnancy as your prescription wont be the same as after.

Maybe it's just another pregnancy thing then. I will ask them and then make an appointment if they say it's ok. My sister said it didn't cost much when she went. Don't know why I thought it was so expensive but I too hate optitions. Don't mind the dentist though.

Anita have you been checked for gestational diabetes ? If your sugar levels are high this can cause you to become short sighted ( things far away look blurred). Pregnancy can cause a few problems with sight but if anything it tends to cause more problems with reading. The other problem is eyes feeling dry due to changes in hormones.

If things far away looking blurred then you should defo go get an eye test.

We charge £19-50 for eye test, and glasses are from £25, so not hugely expensive.

Maybe I should go to scotland then , lol.

I haven't been checked for gestational diabetes. I was going to be but then they stopped finding glucose in my urine. I guess I should mention it to the midwife when I next see her too.

I would get a check for diabetes first. If clear go get eyes checked, if sugar levels high then I'd wait for eye test cos once they go down your sight may well go back to normal, if it is still a problem then go get them tested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->