Facebook - how do you manage

AP

Reaction score
As Alex gets older and is doing more, I feel like a knife going through my heart when I see status about friends babies, doing things that she cant. You know the ones - the baby in question is normally a good few months younger than your LO's corrected age.

How do you manage, I find some consolation a lot in my preemie friends on FB and feel like normal and then I see stuff like "xxxxxx is walking" and im like :cry:

i feel esactly the same at the moment! Would love to know how you cope! My son is 11months old, 8 months corrected and still at 6months in his development when my friends baby is 7months and is starting to crawl and sit up and everything! :(

Its hard to explain I think! Sometimes, im confident with Alex's progress. Everyones telling me shes on target so thats ok - but then you see that and you're like "eh?"

I did once hide someones status updates. I couldnt handle it, it was driving me insane. Not her fault but I was tearing myself up.

I try to tell myself every baby is different, even at term, you know. I know some term babies dont do things until later, so i try to remind myself.

But I seen yet another status tonight and i felt a bit hurt.

And then again, often enough i find theres been a bit of exageration!

Jade I think from what you've said so far Ethan sounds very much like Alex, she didnt sit unaided for a long time (I will go check when she did just now)

*right I'm baaaack. Alex managed to sit unaided at 1 year actual, with the help of her favourite singer....... Alex is pretty obsesses with Lady Gaga so she managed to sit nice and watch her without falling over. ('scuse the untidyness)

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs216.snc4/39147_415596354317_514829317_4398562_1871617_n.jpg

I don't have that many people with young children on my FB and the ones that do are rarely on. But I think I would have to hide there status updates if they were the type to write loads about there kids.

Actually the only people I get updates from really is you Sandi! Lol but I love your updates :D

I do have a few friends that are about giving birth and that I have had to hide there updates.
I had a bit of a downer today felt a bit like a failure cos I cant get her to eat. But then I come on here and its ok because we are all in the same boat - not that its realy ok, given the circumstances but its great to escape and come read about other 'normal-to-us' babies.

Its more OH nana that gets to me.
She keeps saying like ''she will be able to sit up soon, probably by xmas'' and I keep saying I doubt she will be sitting much if any before April, and I really doubt she will be walking until after then either.
I use you as an example Sandi I say how early Alex was and how old she is now and what she can do, it shuts her up til next time where if I say preemie babies can take alot longer to do stuff, she goes on and on about how SIL was early (6 weeks early) and was really fast at learning stuff.

:rofl: i am off my rocker can u tell my days are filled of just me and alex? :rofl: gosh i am a loner :rofl:

Well we can be loners together this week, son is off to his grans and OH working 6 days so will be just me and Anna all week! Lol

oh oh we'll have the A team all week then lmfao

I wish everyone didn't live so far away from me :(

Iv just put a thingy on my FB wantin a lift its too much hassle getting the bus esp with her not eating properly I dont want to mess up times, seems everyone is on hols or busy and I dont really even have anyone here I can go see.

I live on here and FB when she sleeps during the day Lol!

Can I join the "A" team? :D

I only have a couple of friends on FB with young babies, and I just ignore their statuses. They didn't have to go through what I went through with Andrew in NICU, so there can never be a comparison between what their babies achieve and what Andrew achieves. He's come sooooo far and I'm sooooo proud of him :happydance:

If either of you want to add someone else with a premmie baby onto your FB friends, you can find me under my other nickname of "Tigsteroonie" :D (but tell me who you are please!)

If it makes you feel any better i know from experience (Tay is 4) that after a while it all evens out. Tay was a 27 weeker and at kindy you wouldn't know, he's just like all the other kids in every way. So it doesn't last forever, it's just another thing to get through. Usually by around 2 and a half they say it isn't very noticeable anymore. It annoyed me as well but now i don't give it much (if any) thought.

thank you anna, cant tell u how reassuring that is to hear xxxx

Sb- Do you know i've just realised we have kids almost the exact same corrected age. My Sebastian is just a few days younger corrected.

OMG :shock: right enough!!!!
Its a sign - I will listen to you now! :rofl:

I wanted to chime in. I don't have FB, nothing against it, just not for me. But I tend not compare Kali to any other child. I know I did at first. I did it ALL the time!! But she was a 23wkr. I mean when she hit 4months actual, she was only considered a newborn. If people ask me questions about her, I tell them what she is doing, but I don't feel as though I have to explain that she was a preemie and that's why she isn't walking at 15months old or sitting up at 8 months, or crawling at 10months. But each person deals with it differently. But I do love to hear updates about preemie children, even though I'm glad that everyones child is doing great, you kinda push for the preemies. I guess kinda like in a competition, I always route for the girl, cause I'm a girl. lol I don't know.

sweets! ur 26+1 now - how is it all going?!?!?

As Alex gets older and is doing more, I feel like a knife going through my heart when I see status about friends babies, doing things that she cant. You know the ones - the baby in question is normally a good few months younger than your LO's corrected age.

How do you manage, I find some consolation a lot in my preemie friends on FB and feel like normal and then I see stuff like "xxxxxx is walking" and im like :cry:

I just totally ignore it to be honest. Even at full term all babies are so different. You just have to trust that Alex will get there in the end.

And remember, no matter how "behind" you think Alex is, that Abby "lazy arse" Paris, STILL isn't crawling/walking/sitting/climbing/cruising etc etc. Alex will be running marathons before Abby decides it's time to move.

Yeah right then G! I remember looking one of Abbys videos and saying to David "look look look this is what we have to look forward to!"

Sometimes I am strong about it, others i get hormonal and think whhhhhyyyyyyyy!

Yeah right then G! I remember looking one of Abbys videos and saying to David "look look look this is what we have to look forward to!"
lol, I said the same thing showing Mr Foo the video of Alex climbing up David's legs!

My friends baby was born full term and is 4weeks younger than Ella and it really annoys me how she constantly tries to compare what her baby does in compairson to Ella. As i said in a previous thread im just trying not to compare her to anyone else and just go off that shes growing and happy and getting bigger and stronger everyday xxxx

nineena that is exactly what my OH told me today. Stuff everything else, what truely matters is LO is doing well, and just to remember what they've come through xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->