Failed the one hour diabetes test - tips to make 3 hour easier?

sil

Reaction score
I'm really upset. I failed the one hour diabetes test by just two points and my doctor is making me take the 3 hour one. The same thing happened in my pregnancy with DS2 (literally the same thing...failed by 2 points), but I ended up passing the 3 hour with flying colors. Even though I passed, I barely made it through. The drink made me feel SO dizzy and nauseous. The sugar rush combined with not eating the morning before (which is required for 3 hour test) just made me feel awful. The sickness lasted the entire day and I didn't feel better until 24 hours later.

Does anyone have any tips to make this easier on my body this time? I plan on trying to eat a meal immediately before I go to bed this time (they said no meals after midnight), drink a lot of water as I go (which they ok'd), and pack distractions. I'm going to try to bring a snack for right after I finish. I'm not sure what else to do that might pass the time or ease the nausea/dizziness. Do you think that sea sickness bands would help?

😡😡😡

Just don't do it. You have the right to decline. The "glucola" is NOT an accurate test for GD, it gives false positives. I never eat high fructose corn syrup or anything even remotely close to that toxic drink, even if it did make me react as if I had diabetes it wouldn't be a concern because I would never have that reaction in my normal life because I don't eat that shit!

My midwives had me eat 1/4 cup of maple syrup over French toast as my gd test. I've heard of other people using jelly beans, too.

I had a two hour test in the UK recently and found it ok. I ate a big carb based meal the night before (loadsa pasta!) and had a big snack (2 massive hot cross buns) before 10pm when they told me to stop eating. I wasn't particularly hungry in the morning after all that food! The drink was disgusting but maybe I was lucky in that I didn't really notice any side effects from it. I downloaded a movie onto my iPad that covered the full 2 hours and sat in a quiet corner of the hospital with my headphones in.

I had my first blood test at 8.30am, so I could eat again not too late in the day. Can you ask for a test as early as possible so it's not dragging into the afternoon? I did feel really light headed at the end of the test but a decent sausage sandwich in the hospital coffee shop and I felt much better. I'd say I felt a bit off for the rest of the day, kinda jittery and a bad headache in the afternoon but I guess that was just from such a sugar hit! But as my OH said, probably still way less sugar than I get from all the rubbish I'd eat and drink on say Christmas Day or while on holiday! :) just not all at once as you get with this drink!

Good luck for it, hopefully if you carbo load as much as you can and distract yourself, you'll find it bearable! Keep nibbling savoury foods afterwards and drink lots of water too 😊

Protein helps- so have some cheese sticks ready and drink lots of water.

Thanks everyone. :) I am here now. I am one hour in to the 3 hours and so far so good. Two hours to go. They said no sips of water are allowed during the test but I brought a bottle and a bag of nuts for right after to eat in the car. So far it's not as bad as the last time I had to do it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->