Family doesn't seem to care about 2nd pregnancy?

ltrip84

Mom and pregnant
Reaction score
For those of you that have had more than 1 child, are people just as excited about your other children as your 1st? I have only told a handful of family members since I'm not far along, but it really doesn't seem like they are excited like they were with the first. Hardly anyone has even acknowledged it since I told them or asked me how I am feeling.

Nope, it's slid downhill from being unexcited to now being downright disapproving.
I think the lack of excitement about subsequent children is fairly common though.

It's even worse when you get to your third :-(

Exactly... It has been the same experience for me with #2 and #3.

I'm sure #4 will be more like OMG!!!!!!!!! But still yeah once you did it before they just expect you to do it.

I got so upset with family members when I announced our 3rd pregnancy...I was really dissapointed by their reactions, this will be my 4th and I can hear the responses already! I don't know why it happens but it just does..xx

Even though people knew what we had been through to get our second there wasn't the level of excitement as there was with our first. When we announced our third there was no excitement at all. I think that's just how it is a lot of the time. After your first people just expect you to have more and it's no big deal to them.

Im dreading that part if we have another.. My mum has made it clear she doesnt approve of anymore and wont be babysitting 3 kids etc.
What can you do, the ovaries want what they want 😋😋

I haven't announced yet but I'm fairly certain I'll get the same thing. They all know we were gonna try for another bc of my miscarriage but I doubt there is going to be any kind of overwhelming excitement. Which is a shame. Im super happy though and I know my kids will be so F em. Lol I don't need anyone's blessing.

At this point, my family doesn't care. If this baby makes it, it's their 7th grandchild on my parents side and 4th on my husband's side. They seem over it. :/

Unfortunately this has been my experience as well. Everyone was very excited for our first. When we announced our second, it was like everyone was expecting it. Now that we're almost 12 weeks pregnant with our third (surprise baby!) we're dreading announcing it. Pretty much our whole family is of the mindset that 2 kids is MORE than enough, so I know we will face (probably very vocal) judgement. I'm putting it off as long as I can!

My first daughter was VERY unplanned (I was only 19 and in college) but my family was very supportive because of my "predicament". My second daughter ended in stillbirth so everyone was again very supportive and sad right along with me. So of course with my 3rd daughter everyone was happy again just because she was here and healthy....that being said, I seriously suspect if I'm pregnant right now/when I get pregnant again they'll all just be over it....unless it's a boy cause that would be different lol

^^oh yeah I'm pretty sure if mine is a boy my family will be more enthusiastic bc my parents don't have a 'blood' grandson although they treat my stepson like their own grandchild even though I'm not actually married to my OH.

Thanks gals! cleckner, I'm not married to my OH either, which is a whole other issue. My family won't ever be 100% happy unless we are married. They had issues when I got pregnant with my 1st (at first) because they wanted us to get married. Even though they know we tried for almost two years to get pregnant! I guess they were just hoping a baby would change things? My grandmother will especially be unhappy about having #2 without marriage. She mentions marriage every time I see her. It gets old. We are engaged and plan to get married once we finish getting our house built so we can have a grand reception at our new home.

My family was super excited our first was a boy since there aren't many boys in either family. My son is the first boy in my OHs family in 30 years!

It's nice to know I'm not the only person who feels this way about family not being as excited having a 2nd. At least it's sort of normal.

Thanks gals! cleckner, I'm not married to my OH either, which is a whole other issue. My family won't ever be 100% happy unless we are married. They had issues when I got pregnant with my 1st (at first) because they wanted us to get married. Even though they know we tried for almost two years to get pregnant! I guess they were just hoping a baby would change things? My grandmother will especially be unhappy about having #2 without marriage. She mentions marriage every time I see her. It gets old. We are engaged and plan to get married once we finish getting our house built so we can have a grand reception at our new home.

My family was super excited our first was a boy since there aren't many boys in either family. My son is the first boy in my OHs family in 30 years!

It's nice to know I'm not the only person who feels this way about family not being as excited having a 2nd. At least it's sort of normal.

Older generations... *shakes head* sometimes a stickler for being married first.

Honestly it's your choice, and it really sounds like marriage is in the cards someday for you, and with your children you're already committed anyways. I don't see what the big deal is.

My mom is really excited but that's about it. My dad and brother are "meh" about it, my dad especially.

I didn't expect nearly as much excitement as we had with our first, but I didn't expect my dad to be so apathetic about it. Anyway, from what I've read from multiple ladies, people usually aren't nearly as excited about the second as they were the first.

yeah was the same with my second, told my mam we are planning to TTC next summer and she barely batted an eyelid

Yip, I'm dreading telling my parents. I know they will be supportive in the long run but I'm preparing myself for the lecture about how I already struggle with 2. And it's crazy because we are very financially stable, and really don't ask for much help (maybe the odd baby sitting now and then). I'm sure they will get over it but still, putting off announcing for as long as possible...

Yes, no one is excited at all this time around! I have found friends are a bit more enthusiastic than family, oddly enough. I feel like my mom doesn't care at all, even though of course she is happy for me and does want more grandkids. No one really asks how I am doing unless I just tell them. Everyone seemed especially not thrilled when I announced it was another girl. I guess it's just boring to them now. :/ Makes me sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->