Family tradition?

kathykins

New and terrified mother!
Reaction score
Got a bit of a sticky problem here ladies....I'm having a little boy in the next few weeks. Now, my husband's family have this weird tradition that the first son in every generation is named Nicholas John - to give you a clue of how far back this goes, my husband is number seven in a line.

Now I love the name, but when LO is older, that means there will be three Nicholas Johns living in the same village. And it's not a big village. As a compromise, I'm thinking of insisting on Nicholas Jack instead - Jack being my Grandfather's name and meaning exactly the same as John.

I know it's terrible to be the one to break the tradition, but seriously, what do you think?

I think it's perfectly reasonable to change the middle name to Jack. I'm amazed that seven generations of women have agreed to it so far!

I think thats a great idea, and a good compromise. xx

Both names are lovely and I don't see why you shouldn't use Jack instead of John. My dads family have a similar tradition where the first son has the same name - three names + surname. My dad never liked it and didn't carry the tradition on, instead giving my brother his first name as a middle name. My brother always wished he had the family name. You never know, your LO may like to carry on the family name...although Jack is a good compromise.

I agree with Rachel it's surprising that so many before have agreed to it. People have such different tastes don't they. It's a great tradition though! As you said Jack is a form of John anyway so I'm sure it would be fine.

PS LO and his future wife can always pick up the 'John' tradition again for their child one day!! :happydance:

I think it is a great compromise

Tradition is fine IF both parties agree...otherwise it just nakes for bad feeling. I think the compromise you have come up with is a good one.

Luckily theres no tradition in my or the OH's family but the OH does want to give his Mothers Maiden name of Owen to the baby as a middle name if its a boy which is ok by me as its a lovely sentiment to his Ma who brought him up without a Dad before she remarried years later.

keep it . I like those tradtions xD

I think its a good compromise and a nice name.

My uncle is called John and his dad is Jack (just a side note lol) My family have a traditional middle name for girls going back 5 generations :)

xxx

Your compromise sounds very reasonable to me. Hopefully his family respond well to it! :)

I'm amazed that seven generations of women have agreed to it so far!

me too
i don't think there's any need to name your child something you don't want

if you really don't want John i think it's a great compromise to settle for Jack :)
ask them what they think.... how do you think they'll respond?

In DH's family there was a tradition where the oldest boy was called Henry. This has gone back for generations. My DH's mum didn't like the idea so they settled on having it as a middle name.

If we're having a boy, we'll do the same but I wouldn't be worried about changing it - most traditions alter over time and you will have left your mark on the family tradition. I like the compramise you've chosen.

I sympathise.

My husbands family alternate generations between

Eirwyn David (my father in law) and
John Eirywn (my husband)

My family all the men have the middle name Girvan

If i go with tradition im going to have a son called

Eirwyn David Girvan + our sirname

Poor little thing - no chance im agreeing to that!! luckily my husband agrees so rather than offending one family we are going to offend both and end the traditions.

I think in your situation you're making the right decision. Joshua is a nice name and your nodding to both families by using ur grandfathers name aswell. Go for it!!!

I sympathise.

John Eirywn (my husband)

Poor little thing - no chance im agreeing to that!! luckily my husband agrees so rather than offending one family we are going to offend both and end the traditions.

I think in your situation you're making the right decision. Joshua is a nice name and your nodding to both families by using ur grandfathers name aswell. Go for it!!!

Wow what a name that would be! :wacko:

I sympathise.

John Eirywn (my husband)

Wow what a name that would be! :wacko:

tell me about it!!! One for the school playground thats for sure :dohh:

Well, I wouldn't worry about changing it to Nicholas Jack as it's so close in meaning and sound. But you said you like Nicholas John as well and honestly, I wouldn't worry about how many others there are in the village. You could always call him something unique (like one of them might be Nick, one Nico, one John, one Jonny, one NJ...). Or how about Nicolas Jonathan if that's not too long with your surname?

I agree it sounds like a reasonable compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->