FAO: All the young Mums to be

toastie

Mummy to an angel and TTC
Reaction score
Urgh just a little rant really,

I often find myself feeling judged because Im a young person wanting to start a family, it drives me insane.

Its odd as when i found out i was pregnant, about this time last year, i was at university and it was a total shock, I hadn't planned at all on becoming pregnant and was on the pill. But i decided to have the baby, finished my year at uni, came back home, moved into my own place with my fella, got a Job and starting saving for our little arrival.
Everything was going fine but then at one of the check ups they couldnt find a heartbeat and we found out our baby had passed away. I was 22 weeks at the time.
I was devastated, so was my fiance Jordan. He wanted to try again as soon as possible but it wasnt what i wanted. Its only in the past few weeks that I've decided that i want to try again.
I'm a totally different person since my pregnancy, i cant think of anything better than having a child and becoming a parent. Financially both me and jordan are in a position to be able to provide, We're both mature enough to be able to provide emotionally so i dont understand why people make such a big deal of our age? Surely we're in the same position as some 30 odd year old couples. Young parents get so much bad press and i think its a real shame.
During my pregnancy, i was shocked at how i was treated by some of the midwives because of my age. On one occasion one of the midwives made a comment about "people my age getting pregnant and expecting everyone else to clear up the mess" and i was furious and ended up having a massive argument with her, When she found out i was 19 she apologised for the comment and said she thought i was alot younger ( i look alot younger than my age when i dont have my make up on) But even then i thougt what has age got to do with it?! It was no excuse.

What are your views on the reception you get from other people?

Sophia xx

Sorry for your loss and that you have suffered from other people's negativity. I was 19 when i had my first child, he's nearly 14 now, a complete sod but i love him with all my heart.

Good luck to you xxx

I was 18 when I had Andrew and got this all the time.

Now I am 28 and still get lots of comments but now it's on how many kids I have lol

:hugs:
Surely the midwife shouldn't say that to anyone at all! They are paid to do a job and it's not their business.
I'm only a bit older than you (21, almost 22) but kinda similar situation (ish) fell pregnant at uni on pill.. but my loss was a lot earlier.
I plan on moving in with my OH when I finish this year out. and start ttc when we're financially stable.

i know some amazing mums who were preg at 16/17. Age has nothing to do with capability. It's true there are bad mums, but they can be any age. And 50 odd years ago was normal to be married at 18 etc. Annoys me blind people who judge!

I was 17 when I got pregnant and 18 when I had my LO.
What a HORRIBLE thing for a midwife to say!!! Thats shocked me.

Good luck hun xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->