FAO any vets or dog owners that could help

S

Siyren

im just looking for any advice possible for my dog, he seems to have an ear infection and i really cant afford to take him to the vets until monday. is there anything anyone can suggest that could help him?

please dont make me feel anymore guilty about my lack of money than i already do. the only vets in our town wont work with a payment plan because too many people have defaulted on them in our town before. so i have no option but to wait.

thanks to anyone who can help x

Wash his ears out everyday with a solution of 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 rubbing alcohol, then clean with cotton swabs or balls. (The first time you may have to use quite a few swabs as it may be pretty dirty. The vinegar and alcohol will kill both yeast and bacteria and also prevent them from growing back. Once the infection is down cut it down to once a week or every other week unless he gets another infection. It works better than what the vet would give you in the office. :)

(Oh, and don't jam the swabs in, just gently swab a bit more than you can see.)

thank you so much!!

poor dog, he's been through the mill lately. half the reason we're so broke is our neighbours tried to poison him :(
he's a good dog, doesnt even bark so god knows why they'd do that. x

Oh that's awful what your neighbours did cruel evil idiots. I hope your dog is better soon x

Thanks hun. He seems ok just annoyed by his ear. Yeah we reported them to the police x

That's awful that they would do that! We normally use a mixture of olive oil and warm water to give our dogs ears a bit of a clean, as the end up pretty stinky sometimes. I hope his ear is better soon x

Cant believe they did that. Have you got a pdsa near you? If you have and your on certain benefits they just ask for a donation of what you can afford

It's very difficult but I really wouldn't recommend putting anything down your dog's ears until they have been checked by a vet to ensure that his ear drum is intact-if it isn't then anything you use can go straight into the middle ear and cause problems.
You can clean any discharge away from the ear flap itself without putting anything down there. Hope it clears up soon.

It's very difficult but I really wouldn't recommend putting anything down your dog's ears until they have been checked by a vet to ensure that his ear drum is intact-if it isn't then anything you use can go straight into the middle ear and cause problems.
You can clean any discharge away from the ear flap itself without putting anything down there. Hope it clears up soon.

The alcohol and vinegar will do no harm. It will simply evaporate over time if any is left behind. I've used it for years. The stuff they used to give us at the vet never got rid of the infection, but this does quickly.

We have only been wiping the outer ear with the solution hun. I'd never stick anything down them. X

We have only been wiping the outer ear with the solution hun. I'd never stick anything down them. X
You'll have to pour it in there as the infection is down in the canal. It won't hurt them, I promise. I've been using it for years. They shake out most of it on their own right away anyway most of the time.

thanks hun! we're off to the vets tonight (now that its normal price and not crazy expensive weekend costs) and i cant wait to get him there! i cant get his haltie on him. (he whines and then lies down, so guessing it hurts) so 5:30 appointment so my oh is back with the car x

How did the vets go?? Hope everything is ok

aww its so sweet of you to ask hun :) he's got some antibiotics and some prednisone aswell because his ear is so swollen.
she didnt want to wash it out because its so swollen that she cant tell if his ear drum has gone or not (so im a little glad i held off on actually washing his ear out and just cleaned the outer ear)- she did say that's what she'll have us do when she can check it out properly though (once the prednisone kicks in)

he has a rather fetching lampshade collar on! and his claws have also been trimmed (she threw that in for free bless her!)

all in all he's slightly happier now bless him!

Hope he feels better soon bless him, the preds should make him more comfy fairly quickly and the vet should be able to have a good look down there.
Watch out for the backs of your legs with the cone!

lol! he's already had me over once! and poor lyssa is right at the level he can knock her flying!- thankfully she finds it funny x

Glad you've managed to get to a vet and get your dog treated. :thumbup:

Just so you know for future reference, vets are legally bound not to let an animal suffer, regardless of whether you can pay, so if your dog is in pain (as they would be with an ear infection) then they have to see you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->