Faux Fireplace...

Amy89

Soulmate, Ollybear, and I
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, so decided here is better than anywhere! Basically, I hate our apartment, and especially our living room. The layout is crappy, it's got the entrance door, to and then the kitchen door, an electric storage heater on another wall, and then the window on yet another wall...there's something on each wall, which really restricts where I can put our furniture. Currently, I've got a big old wooden (beautiful) sideboard on the long wall with the TV on, it's stunning, but too big for the room.
What I really want to do is build a fake fireplace, and put the TV on that instead, so it blends into the room rather than jutting right out. I'm also thinking of putting some shutter across it, so the TV can be hidden when we aren't watching it. That's just a maybe. My question is, has anyone actually attempted this and it's turned out ok? I'm ok at DIY, but I'm not massively confident in this. I'm on a budget, and we rent, so I can't make too much of a permanent mess...I don't mind having to fill a few holes when we move, I've got loads to do already since I hate blank walls, but I don't want to be taking the plaster off the walls or anything.
I just think it'll make a lovely focal point in the room, which I can then paint and change to my hearts content, especially if I mount the TV on the wall. I can then also make it hollow and hide the wires too. OH obviously thinks I'm mental, I have all these crazy ideas which I know will look amazing, but I just don't have the funds to do them all!
Anyway, that's off topic...real question is, has anyone done it, has anyone done it and its turned out good, do you think it'll look good or rubbish, and do you think I'll be kissing goodbye to our deposit on the apartment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->