Favorite book?

runnergrl

Mom to 2 boys and 1 angel
Reaction score
I am really trying to read more lately, but I dont really know what to read.. I had several books I was into in college by the same author, but she hasnt written any recently.. So I was wondering...

What is your favorite book, or what is a book you would recommend reading for pleasure.. not for preparing for TTC, LOL! I have plenty of those. I need a good story:) This should be fun..

I like anything by Chuck Palahniuk or Steven King :)

I read BirdSong By Sebastian Faulks when I was in College. I think it is a brilliant book but it is very sad and had me in tears a few times.
Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold is another brilliant book but again that is very sad and had me :cry:
Seems I only read sad books lol I like Mark Billingham books aswell they are more crime books.
:)

I loved Memoirs of a Geisha, and Three Cups of Tea. I'm currently reading *The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo*.

The Historian by Anna Kostova is a brilliant read. If you like the Red Dwarf style humour, read Incompetence. The Georgina Kincaid Succubus series is brilliant. Anything by Laurell K Hamilton is good- Anita Blake series is vampire heavy with a lot of sex in later books, Merry Gentry is fairy based (sidhe rather than creatures with wings), sexual from the outset and features a lot of mystery and Celtic mythology. The Dead Witch Walking series is great. I'm really enjoying the Sookie Stackhouse books at the moment. They might be children's books technically, but the Septimus Heap books are amazing, as is the Wolfbrother series.

It all depends on what you're into, to be honest. Most of the books that I like are heavy on vampires, weres and other supernatural creatures but have a genuinely good love story or mystery or both underlying the supernatural element. The Historian is a very good alternative interpretation to a Dracula story and is spine-chilling.

Beca :wave:

wow, great suggestions so far.. i havent really ever gotten into mythical creatures or supernatural type books.. as close as I have come has been Lord of the Rings.

The books I like are easy reads, usually consisting of a strong female lead character who is very independent, but wanting to find love.. and for some reason, most of them take place in England! The two authors I love are Jane Green and Marian Keyes..

Good In Bed was hysterical.. super easy and fun read. had me laughing out loud on several occassions:) Keep 'em coming:)

Based on that, I would suggest Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field. If you want to try something in the same sort of vein but with a different angle, I'd suggest Mike Gayle, whose books are from a male perspective but are nonetheless very good. Matt Thorne's Dreaming of Strangers is also very good and looks at both the male and female characters as they meet and get to know each other.

Beca :wave:

Silas marner by george eliot is AMAZING. totally makes me realise why father's love their daughters. excellent book!

Sophie Kinsella is usually funny, her Shopaholic series has recently been made into a film and she has others not part of the series that are good. I've just finished reading Twenties Girl by her and enjoyed it.

Lisa Jewell is also good but her topics can be a bit heavy even though she has the image of a chick-lit writer. Her most recent one, The Truth About Melodie Browne, is hard going but I loved Ralph's Party, Vince and Joy and Thirty-Nothing.

Sarah Addison Allen is an American writer and her books are good and have a bit of a magical twist to them, her characters can do little bits of magic or magical things happen, for example one character has books appear to her when she needs them and another can cook but her recipes have odd influences on people. I've read Garden Spells and The Sugar Queen and enjoyed them both.

Joshilyn Jackson is also a favourite of mine, another American and her books are based in the South. I read Gods in Alabama first and then Between, Georgia and both of them were great. They have strong women characters and funny but dysfunctional families who work things out in the end as supporting characters. Her most recent that I have read is called The Girl Who Stopped Swimming and I recommend it.

Ronlyn Domingue, another American, is good but I've only read one book by her, The Mercy of Thin Air, and it's a ghost story told from the point of view of the ghost.

Vendela Vida has written a couple of good books, Let The Northern Lights Erase Your Name, which I loved, about a woman in search of her natural father, and And Now You Can Go, about a woman in New York whose life changes when she is robbed at gunpoint.

Also you can't go wrong with Carol Sheilds or Anne Tyler (or maybe you can but I think they are both great) I'd recommend Happenstance, The Republic of Love and Unless by Carol Sheilds and The Clock Winder and Morgan's Passing by Anne Tyler.

I haven't read their books but I think Chris Manby is an author similar to the two you mentioned (I love Marian Keyes as well) and perhaps Cecelia Ahearn who wrote PS I Love You. They all seem to be together in the section of the library that has the "If you loved...you might like..." posters.

You might have noticed I love my books so sorry if I went on a bit, recommending books is one of my favourite things to do.

I hope its ok i share. But my favourite book is lucy sullivan is getting married by marian keyes. It was made into a comedy series a few years ago but book is way better. It makes me laugh and cry. I think there is a part of us all in Lucy. I couldnt put it down and have read it several times. Infact im gonna read it now

wow Jody, THANKS!! I cant wait to get to the book store now!

Hmmm, i mainly only read biographies as im a nosey bird at heart :rofl:

Ive read Russell Brands which was a giggle in some parts, All of Katie Prices novels & biographies, Lily allens unofficial biography, Peter Andres biography, Slashs' Biography (The guitarist from guns and roses if no one knew lol), and im part way through reading Axl Roses' biography :)

I do try and regulate between different books but i think ive found the perfect genre lol! :laugh2:

Hope you find something interesting to read soon =) x

A good recent book I read was The Time Traveller's Wife, I wasn't expecting much from it as I usually read crime/thriller but I really enjoyed it n have recommended to other people.

Also, if you're after a weepie, try A Crack In Forever by Jeanie Brewer. I've read it twice now n it still got to me. x

I read a book recently and it was the PERFECT wtt book! its called the godmother but i cant remember who its by, its about a woman whos always a godmother but never a mother. Its really sweet!

I am really trying to read more lately, but I dont really know what to read.. I had several books I was into in college by the same author, but she hasnt written any recently.. So I was wondering...

What is your favorite book, or what is a book you would recommend reading for pleasure.. not for preparing for TTC, LOL! I have plenty of those. I need a good story:) This should be fun..

Hi great thread!

Have you watched the film Chocolat?

If you like stromg female characters you should read some of Joanne Harris' books (inc chocolat) her books are generally set in France, and feature strong female characters. They do have an element of magic about them but not in a sci fi, pointy ears and goblins kind of way.

Personally I have to have a least a strong element of real life running theough books I read, that is why in the past few years I have almost exclusively read non fiction, however I still really enjoy Joanne's writing.

Amazon is good for reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chocolat-J...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264624405&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Five-Quart...1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264624431&sr=1-1-spell

I hope its ok i share. But my favourite book is lucy sullivan is getting married by marian keyes. It was made into a comedy series a few years ago but book is way better. It makes me laugh and cry. I think there is a part of us all in Lucy. I couldnt put it down and have read it several times. Infact im gonna read it now

I really enjoyed that book and about a year later my sister in law started going out with a Gus, although it took a bit of time for us to realise that, she hid a lot of stuff from us and from herself even, always made excuses.

When I did realise he was a Gus I bought her the book. She said she was reading it and thinking "why can't Lucy see what a loser he is" and it just hit her she was dating him! She broke up with him and I take full credit (or at least I share it with Marian) for making her realise how bad he was. I agree with you, the book is so much better than the TV series was.

Another vote for The Time Travelers Wife. A-maz-ing!

Did you read the follow-up to *Good In Bed*, called *Certain Girls*? I liked it as much, if not better!

Great thread! I am really into fantasy novels but my other love is historical fiction so I would have to recommend Philippa Gregory! She wrote The Other Boelyn Girl but it is a whole series and don't base it on the movie :p It was a good movie but the books are better but that always seems to be the case :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->