FB 'friend' weaning 11 week old!

AND YES I DO FEED MY CHILD RICE CEREAL ON AN EVERY DAY BASIS AND IDGAF IF YOU DONT APPROVE :thumbup: But he is also 17 weeks now,too.

There are tons of women who do this, I just seem to be the only one brave enough to stand up/

There's no need to swear or call names (you did in an earlier post). You commented in a thread that was against extra early weaning saying that you weaned at 12 weeks. What did you expect people to say?

Have to agree with above, there's no need to get so touchy about it. I for one never said you were wrong or that you shouldn't feed your baby what you like, you're babys mum, so its up to you. If you are fully confident in your own choices and decisions there's no need to defend yourself. I'm confident in every decision I have made and would welcome any opinion and have respect for the person for being honest..

Judegemental much .. my duaghter is 12 weeks on tuesdayand shes starting solids and she does cry when i give her the bottle because she wnts more .. she has half a jar and looks for more but i dont' give her more she gets half a jar then four oz of milk. EVERY baby is different. just because yours isn'[ tlooking for more who's to say hers isn't?

My daughter is LESS SICKY now she's having a bit of solid food rather than 14 oz of milk inatwo hour period she's happier and so am i.

well said!! quite honestly i think everyone shud concentrate on their own children and stop judging others on how they bring up theirs. as a mother of 3 who weaned all 3 at 3 1/2 months i have to say they are exceptionally good eaters, eat a wide variety of different foods and more importantly are perfecly healthy, so stop being so judgemental and concentrate on ur own kids!

To be quite blunt, I'm SICK and tired of the 'every baby is different' BS. Not when it's not advised by scientific FACT! I suggest you change doctors because I'd be worried at that. How do you know what your baby's gut is like and whether ita mature enough for food?

And it may not cause problems now but in later life it can lead to a whole array of problems.

To be quite blunt, I'm SICK and tired of the 'every baby is different' BS. Not when it's not advised by scientific FACT! I suggest you change doctors because I'd be worried at that. How do you know what your baby's gut is like and whether ita mature enough for food?

And it may not cause problems now but in later life it can lead to a whole array of problems.

WSS. I'm going to unsubscribe from this thread now because there's no talking to people who have decided that they are right regardless of what the experts (medical profession) advise. I'm all for people having a right to their own opinion when it comes to opinion-based topics such as tw or blw as an example. However, when it comes to fact-based topics such as weaning at 11 weeks, I do not believe Mommy knows best always.

Wow, there's some seriously rude answers going on in here, and name calling/swearing? just not necessary.

I was determined that I was not going to wean until 6 months. As it happened, we started at 16 weeks under the medical advice of 4 doctors (yes, I got a 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinion) due to LO's reflux which was just awful. She took to it like a duck to water, but then got a chest infection (no, not related, she caught it!!) and stopped taking anything (including milk) for a week, we were literally squirting 5mls at a time through a syringe into her mouth to try to get something in her.
We then stopped weaning until she built up on milk again which was a good 4 weeks or so. It did her no harm to stop, and when we started again she did really well again.

Some people do need to start early, but the need must be assessed by medical professionals, more than one. Hell, go get 4 opinions like I did!! But weaning for the sake of it is just wrong and not actually taking proper care of that child.

I have seen posts in here about it doing no harm, wrong.
I have seen posts about feeding baby cereal through a bottle at night, please read up on the dangers of this!!
I know other people have pointed out the dangers, but they seem to have been jumped upon and responded to in a really nasty way.

Poor baby will grow with IBS - or something equally as life altering. Sorry but your "friend" needs to get a grip, 11 weeks is FAR too young :| poor baby.

Clearly some people are so "I'm his/her mother so I know best" - LOL - Yes but you know better than 50/60 years of medical research ? Get a grip.

Early weaning is between 17 and 26 weeks, anything before that is just plain stupidity (other than for medical reasons). You have NO idea what you are doing to your babies inside & I'm pretty sure if you knew, you'd re-think what you're doing.

Some people are far too quick to want their babies to grow up and it's a crying shame! - Just because baby looks at you when you're eating or seems hungrier than usual DOES NOT mean they are ready for weaning, it simply means they are taking an interest in their surroundings, as they do about EVERYTHING!

Meh, some people won't be told, but don't be making a post here when your child has digestive problems later on in life.

Poor babies.

Why :dohh: ? I feel it's important to warn people the dangers of not just early but ridiculously early weaning. Some people don't realise the harm they could be doing to their babies.

Why :dohh: ? I feel it's important to warn people the dangers of not just early but ridiculously early weaning. Some people don't realise the harm they could be doing to their babies.

I totally agree hun ;)

But it's pretty clear in this thread that all the 'early weaners' are in fact aware of the dangers but still think it's totally fine

Sorry hun lol. And I know, why would you get so rude and defensive about something if you knew it was perfectly fine and safe? :| it baffles me x

So presumably there are millions of people, just in the UK with these terrible long term gut problems.....

No? Didn't think so. It's not a case of "I was weaned early and I was fine" it is a case of "the majority of us were weaned early and are fine"

I cannot believe the amount of judgement being passed here. Comparing someone who is happy to give rice cereal before 4 months to someone who let a newborn eat chocolate is ludicrous.

Despite what most of you seem to believe, there hasn't been a big scientific study on this, there wasn't a properly conducted, randomised trial on it - the ethics committee would refuse to let it be done.

What has happened is, medical professionals have looked at various areas over the years and concluded it is possible early weaning might be responsible in some cases. Along with this, WHO have taken that information and come up with a guideline which is supposed to fit all countries, all cultures and it is NOT purely for medical reasons that this guideline is in place.

It was 12 weeks, it was 4 months ,it is 6 months, it might go back to 4 months - and that's in less than a generation. Who is to say it won't change again in future?

Now, if you all want to follow the guideline on the basis that you believe these people have the best interests of your baby at heart and it isn't a risk you are willing to take, no matter how small that risk is, that's absolutely fine. But others choose not to and that is entirely up to them. They are neither bad people nor bad mothers for doing so. I've yet to meet a parent who stuck rigidly to every single guideline in place.

Sorry hun lol. And I know, why would you get so rude and defensive about something if you knew it was perfectly fine and safe? :| it baffles me x

I would suspect it is because she is being so attacked. What baffles me why anyone else should be so bothered about it.

it would be interesting to know how many of those who are on the 'early weaning is bad' band wagon, if told by a medical professional to wean slightly earlier than recomended for whatever reason would do so and if so why and what would your reasons be? just out of interest?

https://lb1f.lilypie.com/TikiPic.php/d8pf7gY.jpghttps://lb1f.lilypie.com/d8pfp1.png

it would be interesting to know how many of those who are on the 'early weaning is bad' band wagon, if told by a medical professional to wean slightly earlier than recomended for whatever reason would do so and if so why and what would your reasons be? just out of interest?

https://lb1f.lilypie.com/TikiPic.php/d8pf7gY.jpghttps://lb1f.lilypie.com/d8pfp1.png

I believe we have all said that there's a difference if you are advised to start for medical purposes as opposed to just starting for the hell of it. I was advised to start weaning at just after 18 weeks because of slow weight gain and in retrospect I wish I had waited as it made no difference. She did take to it well (had lost her tongue thrust, was sitting up on her own, etc) but had I realized it wouldn't help her gain faster I would have waited until six months as I wanted to do blw.

Here we go :roll: attacked again, and Foogirl, I didn't compare the girl who weaned at 11 weeks to the girl I seen feeding her newborn chocolate, I was just sharing what I had seen.. If you would like to quote where I was "comparing" feel free.. Its like talking to a bunch of bricks walls who have one way opinions on here, pity people can't be mature and have healthy opinions. Boring, I'm not sad enough to come onto a forum of girls who go out of their way to make a mountain out of a mole hill, if there are anymore constructive comments I'll contribute but as for the bitch fest, think I'll pass :flower:

I personally wouldn't just take one HCP's word for it, especially if it was a HV! I would do all of my own research first, and get other opinions. There is just too much crap spouted even by HCPs about why you should wean early, it seems like most of them think every single thing can be solved by baby rice these days :dohh:

And I don't consider myself to be part of any bandwagon either!

Here we go :roll: attacked again, and Foogirl, I didn't compare the girl who weaned at 11 weeks to the girl I seen feeding her newborn chocolate, I was just sharing what I had seen.. If you would like to quote where I was "comparing" feel free.. Its like talking to a bunch of bricks walls who have one way opinions on here, pity people can't be mature and have healthy opinions. Boring, I'm not sad enough to come onto a forum of girls who go out of their way to make a mountain out of a mole hill, if there are anymore constructive comments I'll contribute but as for the bitch fest, think I'll pass :flower:
You clearly don't consider yourself to have a one way opinion then? Mature debate surely allows for either side to air their opinions and not be judged. And to be able to post that opinion without being accused of "attacking" (which, frankly is just ridiculous, it's an internet forum for goodness sakes)

That anyone here who dares to talk against this opinion is judged and shouted down, is the real immaturity. The mountain is being made by those against early weaning, not those who choose to do it.

If there was no comparison to be made, why bring it into the context of the debate as the girl clearly wasn't weaning her newborn baby, was she?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->