Fear of the epidural

Carley

Mama to one and pregnant
Reaction score
Is there anyone else here scared of the epidural? I'm completely scared of them...it's a fear. Is anyone else scared?

Im not afraid of it. The pain you feel when the epidural is being inserted is nothing compared to feeling a bowling ball pass through your vagina.

lol

Arnt you having a home birth?

I want a home-birth but I'm under high risk and I'm having a hospital birth in the birthing centre. I have had a lot of genetic problems and premature births.

How would people describe getting an epidural? I've been told to get it early so that when I'm in full labour I don't have to sit still through full blown contractions.

But I've also been told epi's can slow down labour and have effects on the baby? I'm scared it may interfere with breast-feeding?

I'm wouldn't say I'm scared of the epi. I didn't have one with my first baby so I know I can do it without one but I've also been researching it a lot in the past few days because my back has been hurting so bad. I'm afraid I will have a hard time during labor if my back continues to hurt like this and I will get way too tired.

But I've also known a few people that ended up with emergency c-sections because the baby's heartbeat dropped when mom's BP dropped from the epidural. But then I read all these lady's stories and how wonderful it is. I'm feeling really torn about it. I guess I will just have to wait to see how I do this time. I think it's important to be as informed as possible about benefits and risks so you can make the right choice for you and your birth. Talk to your MW. Read everything you can.

Someone posted this link the other day https://www.kimjames.net/epidural_risks_and_side_effects.htm

Terrified. I hate needles and God help the person who tries to put one in me! Cept, of course, for the IV that I have to have cause of the GBS

to be quite honest i had one with callum and didnt feel it goin in, contractions were far too painful and my mind was more on them than the epidural.

Quite frankly, the needle I hardly felt in the midst of the contractions. :hugs:

It's not the needle going in that you should be fearful of, it's the effect on both you and the baby.

I was terrified to have one and before labor, was VERY adamant about not wanting one. Because of the way my labor went (I won't post it again, it's in the birth stories) I ended up having one. I was still terrified while getting it and during the labor. I think it ended up saving me from having a c-section. I would just say make sure you know the pros and cons about them. There can be serious consequences of them.

You don't need to be afraid! I know they are scary b/c of the needle, and the risks, but the people giving them are trained and do them all the time. You won't feel the actual epi, b/c they numb the spot first with a small needle. That stings a bit, but only for a few seconds. Then you have to sit completely still while they do the epi, but you can't feel it at all. And it is like Lorrilou said, you are so distracted by the pain of the contractions that you don't really notice it. I didn't get one with my first 2, and I did w/my second 2. It is all a matter of where you are at (pain wise) whether you can handle it or not. You will be okay. Just be sure of what you can and can't accept during labor before you are there and maybe irrational.

I'm petrified but unfortunately I'm also aware of myself and my lack of pain tollerence.

I'm actually not scared of it at all.I don't know why,I just don't have a big problem with it.Maybe because I know that it's my ticket to a pain free world...

I've had an epidural with all three of my pregnanies. None of them have hurt. With the last one I just felt a little bit of pressure. After the pain of the contraction the epi feels SOOOO relaxing, and will give me time to get my strength back up to do all of the pushing. Although my last Dr. was a total jerk and stopped the epi for the last phase!!! It took alot longer to deliver. It hurt so much I didn't want to push. I had ripped all the way through and screamed my head off for over an hour. I made sure this time that my Dr. kept the epi going :) I don't EVER want to go thru that pain again! On top of that he yelled at me for screaming and kept telling me to quit. Errrrr stupid Doc.

The fear of the immense pain of birth is greater than that of the epidural for me lol

Although I'm terrified of the needle first and foremost, I'm gonna guess that the labor pains are gonna hurt WAY more. Plus...the needle would be behind me...I'm just REALLY terrified of some of the consequences for me and LO if we got one. My sis almost died cause of hers. Scary stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->