Feeding - am I expecting too much too soon?

monst_18

I Love being Alfies Mummy
Reaction score
Hello Ladies

Firstly i would like to say a huge thanks for all of your support and kind wishes to Alfie - he is a fighter of that i am sure! I hope once i have been through a bit of this and learn i can start to help others like you are helping me.

As for the heart Op - they are holding off to wait and see.... so will keep you posted on that.

What i am slighlty concerned about is this... Alfie is 9 days old today and they have tried on and off to give him 1/2 ml milk - which mainly he is bringing back up - they don't seem that concerned saying that he probably isn't ready and they will keep trying... is this normal for prem babies? he was born 26 plus 3. he is getting all his goodness from the drip they are giving him and will grow on that i just want to know his digesttive system is ok.

Maybe i should be greatful that its nothing more serious at the moment - touch wood.

Yesterday he scared me - he was quite restless and kept losing his heartbeat - that was horrible i was so scared. He has since been more settled on that so thats good.

I just pray for the next few weeks to pass quickly and then he will be a bit bigger.

Being a mummy i wouldn't change for the world though.... his mummyxx

Thanks again everyone!

xx

Hi Emma,

Im really glad little Alfie is not needing the op right away a lot of babies seem to mend these things on their own given time.

He will def get all the nourishment he needs from his IV and when his digestive system is ready he'll soon guzzle the milk, at such a young gestation it is very common for prem babies under say 30 weeks to take a little longer to start feeding.

The next few weeks will wizz by like a blur and he will be piling the weight on and graduating his way through the NICU just you watch him, he'll amaze you every day.

When Matthew was very restless we used to place his arms on his stomach with the palm of our hand (sounds restricting I know) but it really helped to settle him, and kept our hands there very gently til he settled and driffted of to sleep. I could not leave for the night while he was awake I always waited til I was sure he was asleep first x

Hi,

He is still so young, so small and just think about the fact he wasn't due to come for weeks! His little body and systems are not fully developed yet, and it may take some time before he is able to tolerate feeds. This is very normal, and not a huge worry since like Bumpsmom said they are getting so much of their nourishment from their IV's. They told me in the NICU that the milk they give them in the first few weeks is basically "extras", they don't need it but it can help them get ready for taking more feeds once they are mature enough.

The thing is you do not want them to push Alfie either. If he isn't ready, its best to give him some time to mature.

There can be very serious illness from pushing them too fast, too much, too soon.

He will get there!!

I totally agree with the other Mummies. Everything will be done at 'Alfies pace'! You do know that boys are lazy too LOL!

Be prepared to be amazed with his progress! xxx

Alex was the same, it took a while to settle down, she she was always sick. She did it in front of me once and i was so horrified-now i look back and realise it was all the rubbish and vits in her tummy that made it look so scary.

Im glad they can hold off Alfie's op for now! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->