Feeding amounts.

Tegans Mama

home edding mum of 2
Reaction score
My little girl has been in hospital for the first eight weeks of her life. When she was 5 weeks old she was having 6oz a feed, taking it all and doing great. She got ill just after this and started being sick due to her illness, so they stopped her feeds and made her nil by mouth for almost a week. She's slowly come back up feeds wise, but she's still only on four oz a feed. She usually feeds every four hours during the day but for the past few days have been like this -
7am - 4oz
9am - 2oz
12pm - 4oz
2pm - 2oz
5pm - 4 oz
7pm - 2oz
10pm - 4oz
12pm - 4oz

and then she sleeps through. I've tried offering another ounce but she just sicks up the extra ounce and still wants 2oz an hour or two after a feed. :dohh: Thankfully we're all getting enough sleep because she sleeps from 12-7, but I know her feeding is really erratic. Maybe its a growth spurt.. HV is coming tomorrow so I'll ask. She was discharged from hospital on Tuesday last week and they told us to try upping her an ounce so we did - it lasted a day and she was great until the nighttime when she was really sick. Maybe we should try her again? What do you all think?

It looks like she's eating when she's hungry and what she wants. Maybe see how it goes and up it when she seems hungrier. I'm a first time mum so really have no real answer but after we are sick it takes a bit for the apetite to come back - maybe hers is a bit off as well and you can try upping in another day or two??

Again, I'm not sure but hopefully one of the more experienced mums can help better!!!!!!!!!!!

I would try to establish 3 hour feeds. Is it your LO with the reflux too?
Do the 7am feed then try and hold out till 10am, might be hard ,might have to hold,dummy etc but try i had to do this with tabs and stretch her out and now she does between 4-6oz a feed every 3 hours or there abouts.

Also do the bottles to 6oz and see what she does,dont force anything she doesnt want though :hugs:

Yeah she does have reflux, thankfully she's been quite good with that just lately. Tried her with 5oz yesterday and she took it all fine. She's still being fussy though, won't settle during day unless she's swaddled and if she stays awake all day she's really groggy and gets in a right tizz by bedtime. :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->