Feeding help

Swtpinkbabi

Finally a Mommy
Reaction score
Lately my 7 week old baby has been fussy and constantly wanting to nurse when he is awake. This has been going on a few days now and I'm concerned about my supply. I have been block nursing to help with oversupply/foremilk/hindmilk issue and it seemed to have helped. Problem is that baby only nurses about 5-10 mins per breast every 2-3 hours and I don't really think he is emptying the breast before switching to the other after 3 hours. When I pump I usually get at least 2 ounces per side after feeding baby several times during a block. Is he getting enough during feeds or maybe having a growth spurt? I'm almost at wits end. I know he is gaining well but I seem to have an unhappy baby and I'm spending most of our awake time nursing. Dh gets fed up and gives him a bottle in the evening and he still wants to nurse after inorder to go to sleep. I go back to work Monday and I'm worried he will be hungry in the mornings after I feed him and start perfering the bottle more than the breast. Or he will cry all day at daycare and will be over fed by bottle feeding. I don't know what to do.

This is most likely a growth spurt, the first several months are really just one giant growth spurt. If you feel your supply is under control I would stop the block feeding as you do 't want to decrease it too much. As for having to leave baby that is so tough at this age, make sure your caregiver is aware of the 1 ounce per hour rule.and is using a paced feeding method with the slowest flow nipples possible. It is definitely a concern if they just keep offering a bottle whenever baby is fussy, you want to make sure he is spending lots of time at the breast anytime you are together amd keeping him fed but not overfed is so important for that to happen. I would tell them to be giving very small bottles frequently (say 1 oz every hour or 1.5 every 1.5 hours) and make sure they are using other methods to comfort him if he has already eaten rather than shoving another bottle in his mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->