Feeding help

Bittersweet

Complete(Boy/Girl)after losses and premature birth
Reaction score
It’s a few months off (June) but I exclusively breastfeed my son. I am bridesmaid at a wedding and will be away Saturday night all day Sunday and Sunday night. He will be almost 6 months so I did plan to move him to formula anyway but I sort of don’t want to. How could I keep going with breast feeding when he will be away from me for 2 nights? Is it worth it or should I go with my original plan to move to formula? I have a medela swing pump and it’s not an issue for me to use the pump and store my milk in the fridge etc (well the milk that’s stioabelmsome of t I will pump and dump for alcohol). The wedding was planned and I was bridesmaid before I got pregnant so not sure what to do?

Also worried my boy won’t latch back on if I’m away for all that time? X

By 6 months old I can't see him forgetting what to do over a weekend. Definitely take the pump, you will probably get quite engorged by not feeding him. Make sure you have plenty of breast pads! If you want to leave expressed milk for him then you'll need to build up a freezer supply, bare in mind that your breasts will get used to the extra demand so try and avoid leaving it til the last minute! Same with formula don't leave it til the last minute so you can find one he likes and make sure he's happy to drink it before you go

If you don't want to move to formula at 6months you don't have to. Advantages of breastfeeding rather than formula feeding as baby gets older:
Not having to clean teeth after a feed.
Not having to worry about tooth formation or weaning off bottles to protect teeth.
Breastmilk is a perfect electrolyte solution when baby/toddler has stomach virus - so no need for dioralyte or anything.
Breastfeeding comforts as well as nourishes so bumped heads, teething pain, lost toy - all can be put right with boobs.
FREE.
Protects you from cancers.

I agree with PP that unless you stop breastfeeding weeks before hand you will get quite engorged, but as long as you know baby will take a bottle or cup then you could choose either expressed milk or formula. I can imagine being away from you for that length of time will be upsetting for you both so I bet you'll both want a mammoth nursing session when you get back.

Thanks everyone I do have the other option that oh brings him to me in the mor OMG whilst I get ready to feed which I might do.
I should have said in my first post he had formula once per day for his weight because he was prem and he hospital started him on its he went away to my mums overnight and came home and just didn’t want the formula anymore so haven’t given it. So he used to take aptimal and for stale bottles which is good. I have around 45oz in freezer so I would express loads more between now and then and maybe get oh to bring him earlier to the venue so I could feed before hand as well xxx

No need to stop nursing if you don't want to just take your pump with you and you'll be fine. He'll be so happy to see you when you get home! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->