feeding issues :(

briashxo

Reaction score
My baby boy will be 3 weeks on Tuesday and ever since birth he's had a lot of latch issues even with the help of lactation nurses. He was getting super fussy and turning red from being so frustrated so I would supplement in between trying. The pediatric doctor has always given me grief for giving formula while trying to breastfeed and it makes me feel horrible.

Last week I got a nipple shield and I thought it was helping because now he would latch but my milk flow is really slow and he isn't getting full. He will literally stay on my breasts for over an hour if I let him and he'll just fall asleep. When I pull him off he wakes up hungry as ever, so I've been supplementing again.

I just started taking fenugreek the other day to see if it helps, but no improvements yet. I'm at the point where I just want him to be full and content... I don't know if that can happen if I continue trying to breastfeed.

Any advice? :cry:

We had a LOT of latch issues too. For us, LCs were absolutely no help and just upset me more. I expressed milk because I had oversupply and was made to feel guilty by various midwives/LCs, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with feeding your baby the way you feel comfortable with. You are being a responsible parent for being concerned about filling your baby's tummy - that is the most important thing (and that's exactly what my obstetrician and paediatrician tried to tell me in hospital but I wouldn't listen). In retrospect I should have given formula a lot more consideration. Plenty of my friends feed their little ones formula and their babies are VERY happy, thriving beautifully and reaching all of their milestones (often ahead of time). Sure, give BFing your best shot but know when it's time to grab that bottle. Don't for once think you're giving up. You're being an amazing mum! x

Domperidone helps supply better than fenugreek too but it could just be that he has a tongue tie and falls asleep trying to suck (very hard for TT babies) then he wakes and realises he's still hungry xx

My baby boy will be 3 weeks on Tuesday and ever since birth he's had a lot of latch issues even with the help of lactation nurses. He was getting super fussy and turning red from being so frustrated so I would supplement in between trying. The pediatric doctor has always given me grief for giving formula while trying to breastfeed and it makes me feel horrible.

Last week I got a nipple shield and I thought it was helping because now he would latch but my milk flow is really slow and he isn't getting full. He will literally stay on my breasts for over an hour if I let him and he'll just fall asleep. When I pull him off he wakes up hungry as ever, so I've been supplementing again.

I just started taking fenugreek the other day to see if it helps, but no improvements yet. I'm at the point where I just want him to be full and content... I don't know if that can happen if I continue trying to breastfeed.

Any advice? :cry:

Im in the same boat hun so no advice im afraid!! :(

Long story short, I gave up on breast feeding as my milk seemed to be decreasing even with the fenugreek. Nolan seems much happier and full, plus his poops are back to normal. Myself, I feel so less stressed out! As much as I would have loved to breastfeed it just didn't really work out for us and that's okay!

I applaud you briashxo. You absolutely did the right thing.

My baby boy was 'diagnosed' with a tongue tie by a LC. Took him to a paediatric surgeon (someone with an actual medical degree) and he saw no evidence whatsoever of a tongue tie. He told us that so many LCs/midwives jump to the tongue tie but more often than not, it's not the case. Met an amazing midwife/child health nurse since with over 30 years in the field. She said, "Not everyone can breastfeed. Simple as that". She couldn't BF and gave her two boys formula. Those boys are amongst the happiest, healthiest I've met. And they are doing amazingly well at school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->