Feeding to Sleep and Burping?

Yipee

Reaction score
My baby is 4 1/2 weeks old, and pretty much always falls asleep while eating. Even if she's asleep, I'll still put her up on my shoulder for awhile and pat her back like normal to burp her, but I've never gotten a burp out of her while she's asleep. Is it still beneficial to do this? Do gasses still come out when I put her in this position, even if not in a forceful, audible way, like a real burp?

I know a lot of people feed to sleep, so how do you deal with burping? I've thought about stopping her when she gets a little sleepy, burping her, and then letting her nurse to sleep, but sometimes it's so hard to get her to sleep, as she is gassy and fussy a lot of the time. So I hate to disturb her and risk seeing those wide awake eyes again.

My LO is pretty gassy but when she falls asleep while nursing I never try to burp her as I know she would wake up. She sleeps despite not being burped so I always firgured she must fart in her sleep or something.

When my DD was tiny I used to burp her (even when asleep) by holding her chin in my hand while she was sort if sat up.

Over the shoulder didn't really work as her body wasn't straight enough.

I have to burp lo at her last feed of the eve, around 10pm as she won't settle. She seems gassier and fussier then than at any other time :shrug:.... I dont need to wind her during night though, she jusr farts lots in the morn! Not sure why its like that!

Agreed with PP. Sometimes you just can't get a burp out and it makes its way to the other end:haha:. When nursing to sleep my LO at that age she wouldn't usually wake when I tried to burp her, no matter how long or what position, but she would never burp! She would be full of toots in the morning. As long as your LO isn't fussing or uncomfortable, I'd just leave him be.

Phoebe doesnt have many burps at night, i always put her on my shoulder and even if she burps it rarely wakes her up. I think its coz she is so chilled and feeds slower x

I never wake my guy up to burp if he falls asleep-but maybe that's why he toots up a storm when he starts to wake from his naps.

I never used to burp LO at night as it would have just kept her awake, plus she never seemed to suffer from wind in the night, just the daytime.

I never burped DD once and haven't burped DS either. But I definitely wouldn't wake him to burp him.

I don't burp ever if she's fallen asleep.

And tend not to do the traditional over the shoulder / on my lap burp session even during the day. I just need to sit her up and she'll give a burp or fart it out after a while.

She's never suffered with gas etc...

LO is 6months and we still have a constant fight with this one. LO always wants to feed to sleep. If I try and burp her she often wakes and wants to be fed to sleep again. If I don't burp her she will wake an hour or two later with a gassy tummy. She also likes to settle a gassy tummy with feeding](*,). One trick I Have found helps is to put her on my shoulder and pull her knees up to her tummy so they are pressing against it. That usually brings a burp out.

If it doesn't cause any obvious problems not burping wont do any harm though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->