Feeding your baby at one? How many times a day? Advice please

diggory77

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
My 11 month old currently has 4 breastfeeds a day, her two middle feeds are quite short and just to calm her before sleeping and the morning and night tend to be big feeds.
Just wondering how many times a day your babies feed at one years old?
My daughter goes to nursery 2.5 days a week and I express once in work. My daughter will not take my milk in any sippy cup or bottle unless I'm giving it to her (pointless) and then she'll happily drink 7oz.
We've persevered for months but the maximum she'll take is 1 ounce for anyone else and then it's hit and miss as she just pushes the bottle away. It's quite upsetting as expressing can be a real pain, especially as I'm working in a busy hospital and struggle to fit in the time to express. Work are very good and supportive but I can't help but feel like I'm taking the p***! It messes the other staff around who are reliant on me to work through the caseload and I'd really like to cut out expressing at work if I can. She's obviously not drinking what I'm expressing anyway. At the same time, I'm also trying to keep my supply up for the days when she might want some throughout the day when were at home together. I'm just not sure what to do really. I'm happy to express the night before work and I usually get about 4oz so she's got the option to have it if she wants.

She never really asks for milk in the day now but if I offer she'll take it. She also drinks loads of water in the day when in nursery.

Do you think it would be ok to drop her feeds to 2 or 3 times a day at this age? I'm also going to try cows milk In a bottle to see if she'll take that as it's better than nothing!

Sorry for rambling... Advice please
X

My dd will be 11 months old next weekend and she's about the same. On days I work, she nurses morning, when I pick her up from the nursery, and before bed. She also still sometimes nurses overnight, but not always. She takes 1 bottle of BM and 1 bottle of formula while at daycare. I'm sick of pumping. I don't plan to drop any feeds until her birthday, but you better believe I'm done pumping that day! I don't think I would drop any if I were you, but maybe talk to the doctor first. What does her weight look like?

Her weight gain is good and she's on the 75th centile, she eats great too. Trouble is I can't be with her in the day when I'm at work and she will not take a bottle of expressed milk, I wouldn't mind pumping if she actually drank it, but everyday it gets thrown away and I'm worried about her fat/calcium intake without drinking milk all day:-( today she had 3oz of whole cows milk which she gobbled down from a bottle, so I think I'm going to give her that on the days she's in nursery, I'd rather she have my milk but she will only drink it straight from the tap.

i'd say you answered your own question there.
I understand your reluctance to give cow's milk, i wouldn't want to either but if she won't take your pumped milk then cow's milk will do, at least your feeding her the other feeds, think of it as a compliment that she'll only take it from mummy.
I bf 4 times - at wake up, feed to nap, late afternoon and feed to sleep. She's taking less and less in the afternoon so we may drop that one soon. I will only feed at night if she's particularly fussy or didn'thave much dinner.

At 12 months, my daughter was feeding 3-4 times a day. She soon self-weaned though.

She feeds about 4 times a day and twice overnight (sigh)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->