Feel so guilty

xnewxmummyx

Mummy, Daddy and Isobelle
Reaction score
Lastnight my LO woke after 1.5hrs after a feed and my HV told me to try stretch her out to 3hrs cos she on bigger side, over 12lbs already, so I had another 1.5hrs of screaming to go, at 3am, and I got really angry with her and now I feel bad cos she was obviously upset, in the end cooled boiled water did the trick and a dummy dipped in gripe water, and Ive just had to wake her for feed!

Just feel bad for getting annoyed :(

x

oh hun i think weve all been there, sleep deprivation does funny things to u. :hugs: xx

We have definitely all been there! In the middle of the night we tend to get annoyed at anything and everything! Don't feel bad hun x

I'm sorry but what a stupid health visitor, if she is hungry she's hungry. She's still so little, perhaps she could be crying because she has wind? The sucking motion tends to help if they are in pain, try and offer the dummy but if she really needs to eat then I would feed her.

Babies don't understand the concept of greed or being a pig! They take what they need nothing more or less.

Honestly, I do think health visitors have their heads up their arses. Mine told me to put half a rusk in his last bottle to help him through the night!!!! Needless to say I didn't and he has just started to go through the night on his own - no tricks or anything.

Don't feel bad, it's understandable that you would get frustrated, you are tired and stupid advice puts you under even more pressure. I can cope with the wake up's it's the crying that stresses me out more.

Thanks ladies.

Think I might just feed her when SHE wants it, not when HV says so. She gets so upset. I do try and calm her down via other methods first though.

When should she start sleepin through without needing bottle??

Should i be doing anythin to help her??

X

She's SO little, she can't really be expected to sleep through yet. Daisy slept 10 hours at 5 weeks but stopped at 15 weeks and hasn't since. IMO, she's only a little baby and if she's telling you she's hungry, she really is. Daisy was 20lbs at 4 months but she's only 24ish now..

:hugs: Your poor LO, and poor you! She's only 6 weeks old, I'd feed her when she's hungry love. Nathan has always been on the big side and I've fed him on demand which my HV encouraged, and yes sometimes he did eat every 1.5 hours at that age. Your LO may very well be having a growth spurt at the moment as well and need feeding a lot more. Babies aren't 'greedy' or anything of the sort, they won't feed more than they need too. :hugs:

She's a WAYS off sleeping through without a bottle hun. Nathan didn't do that until he was about 7 months old! At your LO's age I think he was feeding 3x a night.

I know how u feel......I felt guilty this morning cos my OH said I was standing over her moses basket gritting my teeth and angrily saying 'Olivia shut up for christs sake' I felt awful in the morning when she looks so peaceful and not the grizzling monster she was during the night lol!

She'll sleep through when she is ready hun, try not to get too hung up on it. It's funny, as soon as I stopped trying tricks with Max he has started to almost do it himself. He dropped a night feed around a month ago, which is very young to do so but he's not particuarly a hungry baby.

They haven't read the manual either!! :D

Thanks ladies ... You have all made me feel so much better. I think HV's think they know it all sometimes, and like you have all said she cant be 'over fed' cos if she dont want it, she will either purse lips or bring back anyway, even though the latter makes me feel useless...

X

I totally agree with Jibber Jabber! You'll do more harm letting LO cry for so long than trying to stretch the feeds out just because she's 12lb and because you think LO should be sleeping through the night IMO.

Babies eat when they are hungry. Not because they are greedy.

I was so obessed with trying to LO to sleep through the night because I thought that was 'normal'and what babies should do, and because all my friends babies were 'supposedly' sleeping through the night How wrong was I?!

Not all babies sleep through. My little man is on a 3 hour schedule - day and night! He has a bath at 8pm, massage and bed time bottle at 9pm. He sleeps until 12am, has another bottle and then another at 3am. He wakes for the day at 6am. He has these feeds because he is hungry.

I've only recently got the hang of it, but I've got feeding times down to 20 minutes each (it used to take me over an hour from start to finish!) so I get up twice in the night and its only for about 40 minutes in total. I just get my arse organised before bath time - it does get easier! If I'm lucky, after the 6am feed he'll go down for another hour but I'm generally wide awake then so I jump in the shower!

You mustnt feel bad - but you are your LO's Mum, no one else and if you think LO needs a feed - then do it. :hugs:

Being a Mum is such a learning curve - I learn something new every day! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->