Feeling guilty about haveing to supplement :(

Wugz22

Reaction score
My baby was exclusively breastfed for the first 3 months, until I had to go back to work...

I pumped and was able to produce more than enough to get him through day care. Then both me and my baby got horribly ill with this flu. My supply took a nose dive, and hasn't recovered. Just in the past week, I've had to add a couple ounces of formula to his last bottle. I'm producing less and less at work, and my freezer stash is running out. I think I'll have to supplement even more :(

My goal was to make it to the 6 month mark at least, but I feel like with me being at work, formula is going to take over soon. I'm so disappointed in all of this and feel resentful that I couldn't just stay home and breastfeed my baby exclusively like nature intended.

Look for some encouragement I guess :cry::cry:

Have you talked to ur doctor about medication to help bring back your milk? Otherwise don't, your baby is STILL receiving breastmilk regardless if its a full diet or not, its still amazing for them.

Don't feel guilty! The most important thing is your baby is eating and gaining weight! 3 months of breastmilke is better than nothing!

Things to try to increase your supply are fenugreek. This is a herb in pill form. I believe you can take 3 pills, 3 times a day (double check with Dr on this before doing, I am not positive!). Fenugreek can take up to 3 weeks to take effect and you will smell like maple syrup! --I take 1 pill a day and I noticed an increase in 2 weeks. A friend of mine took 1 pill a day and noticed an increase in 1 week. Another friend didn't notice any change in just under 3 weeks (not sure how much she took)

Power pumping-pump for 10 minutes, stop for 10 minutes, pump for 10 minutes, repeat for 2 hours. This tells your body "we have a baby out here that needs to eat!!" You may not get anything, you may get a tiny bit. It's not so much about getting milk as it is telling your body we need to make it!

Lactation cookies. I have not tried these but one of my friend swears by them!

When pumping-do not stop when the milk stops. Keep pumping for a few more minutes. Also don't stop if milk is still coming out!

Also, if you're comfortable, eat on feets on facebook is a site where moms donate their milk to moms in need. They have a main page and also have certain locations (eatsonfeet~iowa for example). Forewarning on this: some moms are picky about who they donate to and will only donate if there is a NEED. For instance, a baby who is failure to thrive and isn't able to keep down formula will probably get the milk before someone not wanting to give their baby formula.

thanks. your message helped me too.
my issue is different though and i have supplemented this early on- he is only 5 weeks old-
thanks for the tip.
i am assuming that fenugreek is fennel seed in a pill. it's know to help with milk production- i was told to boil seeds with chamomile.

i am assuming that fenugreek is fennel seed in a pill. it's know to help with milk production- i was told to boil seeds with chamomile.

Nope, it's another plant so worth trying both if one alone isn't doing the job. You can get capsules or you can use the seeds or spice powder (it's a cooking ingredient).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->