Feeling uncertain about bf #2

k4th

Reaction score
I'm only 18 weeks pregnant but I'm trying to sort out how I feel about breastfeeding.

I fed dd for 6 weeks & was proud of myself for managing that. I had an oversupply the whole time, and leaked almost constantly. I had lo's latch checked by several people - who all said it was great - but she also nipped at EVERY feed.

I felt uncomfortable breastfeeding, frequently cried, but dd gained weight like you wouldn't believe & was thriving.

So - this time around I had thought I'd be reluctant to try.

BUT in this pregnancy I have itp (low platelets & poor blood clotting). Recent research suggests that anti platelet antibodies may well pass through breast milk - causing bubs to have low platelets & clotting problems. So, I've decided that if baby is born with low platelets already, I won't breastfeed as the risks of low platelets can be very worrying & breast milk might make that worse.

And now I'm upset. I don't want to bottle feed from birth but I might have no choice for my lo's health. But if I can bf (depending on his/her platelet counts at birth) I'm worried that I'll hate it like last time. I can't win.

I'm going round & round in circles & it's making my head hurt. I don't really know what I'm looking for by posting tbh - just needed to get this confusion out.

You have to do what you feel is right for you and your family. I bf my last two but I won't this time. I had success but I feel like my two were crying if they were not latched onto me and I am not going thru that again. When I mixed formula with my breastmilk, they were so much happier but you have to do what you feel. Don't worry about other people or how they feel or what they say. Good luck hun.

You choose what is right for you and your baby.
What I would say though is that the first month or so is the hardest and after that I've found that things tend to calm down a bit: a lot less leaking,more of a pattern to feeds, supply regulates itself.
Don't put too much pressure on yourself to decide now, you have plenty of time xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->