Fibre optic tree has died :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bid

Reaction score
Tried to switch it on this morning and it's dead as a dodo. No light and the motor not turning :cry:

Last few days there's been an overheating electrical smell in the room and it's been driving me mad trying to figure out where it was coming from because nothing was hot, guess it was the motor dying inside the pot part.

DS is gutted, and so am I because it's already decorated and we told him his elf brought it, so now he thinks the magic has run out!

Don't know whether to buy a new one or just buy some lights to put on it. Won't look the same though because it has built-in stars and baubles and the star at the top, which won't light up :nope:

Awww I'm sorry to hear that! How annoying. How long have you had it? Any chance of them replacing it?

Mine died too after 7 years :-( we've put normal lights on it for now x

Had it two years so it's out of guarantee :-(

After I posted I realised the end of the adapter had actually melted where it goes into the base, so that must have been what I was smelling. We're lucky it didn't catch fire!

I've put some normal lights on it so at least it's kind of fixed, but it's not as nice. It was one of the fancy fiber optics with specially shaped tips to really make it sparkle, so the lights just look a bit flat in comparison. Even though they're multicoloured and flashing :haha:

Maybe I'm just cheeky, but I'd be tempted to email the company a picture of the melted adapter and see what they say. It might be technically out of warranty but you never know, they might have good customer service, especially if you point out how dangerous that is. Even if they say nothing, you've only wasted five minutes of effort.

Maybe I'm just cheeky, but I'd be tempted to email the company a picture of the melted adapter and see what they say. It might be technically out of warranty but you never know, they might have good customer service, especially if you point out how dangerous that is. Even if they say nothing, you've only wasted five minutes of effort.

Yeah this because surely it shouldn't melt! Add in that your children are gutted lol xx

That's not good at all. I would definately mail/email the company and let them know even if it's just warning them about the issue as this could pose a danger to others who have the same tree.

I work in the insurance industry and this is definatly a fire hazard.

DH went into the shop yesterday to tell them, he was raging because it could have been really dangerous. I don't think they cared, it's just a small local shop so it's not like tesco or argos. The manufacturer's name is on the box but they've not got a website or anything. Very much 'made in China'! Apparently most FO these days are done with led bulbs so they don't get hot. This one was halogen, and although the base (a big plastic pot) didn't feel hot it was obviously overheating inside. I could smell something overheating but couldn't pinpoint it because nothing was hot. Could have been disasterous :nope:

So lucky really for it not to catch fire, definitely got a guardian angel looking down on you, and a lesson for all of us not to leave the tree lights on when we go out!! X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"