Finding a name to fit both parents backgrounds

littlefishygg

Mum of 1 boy, TTC #2
Reaction score
Quick explanation of my family: I am white British with a completely traditional English full name, my partner is half Egyptian, half Portuguese with a Portuguese first name and an arabic surname.

My partner wants to give our son a Portuguese first name like him and he will obviously have his arabic surname. Whereas I want him to have an English first name. My partner says he wants our son to have a name that fits his mixed heritage but I feel kinda left out at the idea of him not having anything to show he is half British in his name.

Also, our child will grow up in England and is highly unlikely to speak Portuguese fluently as his father has lived here since childhood and isn't fluent himself anymore and I worry that with a completely Portuguese/Eygptian name our child with grow up being asked 'where he is from' and whether he speaks any other language etc and them him have to defend his name.

In case you were wondering our favourite names are Santiago and Noah for both options and which ever we chose the other will most likely be the middle name.

What do you think/Would would you do?

If I was you, I would look up Portuguese names online and choose one you like which is also used in the UK. There are certain names that are somewhat international and wouldn't automatically be associated with another country. e.g Luca is Italian but often used over here.

I think Noah itself could be taken as a name for any ethnicity. The only Noah I have met is of African descent, and so I don't think it is necessarily 100% English. That being said, you could always name him either way and then call him by what seems to fit him best. So, regardless of whether he is Noah Santiago or Santiago Noah, you could still call him the name that feels "right" if that makes sense. Then of course he will always have the option of choosing for himself as he gets older :) If he gets tired of explaining Santiago, he could simply ask people to call him Noah.

I think, putting how meaningful the names are aside, that Noah Santiago flows much better than Santiago Noah.

I think Noah Santiago sounds really cute! And would alleviate all your concerns!

Noah Santiago is lovely! It flows well and includes your British heritage more as well as OHs Portuguese side. As you say, he will also have an Arabic surname so there will be no worries with not showing his mixed background.

It seems the perfect compromise to me!!

Noah and Santiago are great names!

My DH is half Chinese, half Polish. He and his sister have Chinese names for middle names, and we've carried that on for both of our sons. My Celtic roots show in their first names. When we're with Chinese family, the boys go by their Chinese names. That's how we represent most of their roots.

My husband and I are also mixed heritage.....Arabic and American.

I can tell you from experience it IS a big deal for the Arab side to have the name prominant to show pride for culture etc.

SO good news for you actually....the name Noah IS an Arabic name. Although not all Arabs are Muslim, the Quran which IS widely known is Arab culture is written in ARABIC and one of the prophets mentioned are Noah. (But said as "Nuh")
If you choose Noah as the first name it will satisfy the Arabic name.

Also...Santiago Noah doesn't flow as nicely.

Congrats on your baby!

Looks like all the advice points to Noah Santiago as the best option :) its a great name

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->