Finding a Pediactrician...

ProudArmyWife

2 Princesses & PG with #3
Reaction score
when should i have found a pediatrician for my LO? and what kinds of questions should i ask when trying to make a decision. there are two offices i am considering and can go meet both offices providers but i am unsure of what kinds of questions i need to be asking :shrug: TIA :flower:

Most important questions are where do they go (hospitalwise), what kind of schedules and stuff do they want your child on, and I've found, most importantly, how receptive they seem to you and your questions. I have been through two pediatricians already. My first one there were two women in the practice, one was ok but one was pure evil. Guess which one we always got? I finally fired her when she blew me off after my son was at sick daycare with a very severe ear infection that he had had for about 6 months straight :shock: and they kept giving me the same medicine and would get worse. The nurses at the daycare called me saying he was wheezing. I took him in, told them what THE PEDIATRIC NURSES told me, and she basically said I was full of s*** and he was fine and I was hysterical. I went back, told the nurses, they gave me a card for another doctor. Took him in, they got him in same day and he gave him medicine that made him better in 3 days, no lie. The point of this story is to test run the docs and see who is receptive. Find out their hours, if they have availability for sick visits same day (trust me, important), what their policy is for certain illnesses (meds vs conservative) if they will come see your baby in the hospital after delivery, and if I think of more I will let you know. Good job checking them out ahead of time, I sort of picked off a list right before because I waited too long and lost track of time.

I think anytime is ok but before 37 weeks would be best!

Try and get some recommendations for the actual doctor (if possible).

You should be able to meet him/her as well as see the office. I wasn't sure what kind of stuff to ask her but she basically talked about the vaccine schedule, opening hours, being on call, when to call them in an emergency, baby's first few days etc.

Our office has healthy and sick waiting rooms which I really liked.

thank you so much for replying. i am just completely clueless and want to make sure im comfortable with the doctor i chose. this helps ALOT!! im making of list of things i want to be sure i remember to ask :)

oh yes, sick and healthy separate waiting rooms, good thing. Also, how can they be reached for emergencies (them vs answering service vs another doc vs straight to urgent care/hospital) and how the office staff is, most important is how you get along with them. Remember you are interviewing each other, you should feel comfortable with this doctor, you should feel no hesitation bringing your child there. And don't stress if down the line you find it isn't a perfect fit, there are plenty more out there. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->