• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Finger food for a 4 month old baby

KSN80

Reaction score
Hi I have a 4 month old baby girl, I have started to wean her and she loves it, but when we are eating she starts crying because she wants some or her own food, so I was just wonder if there are any finger foods I can give her?

I cannot stress it enough DO NOT GIVE A FOUR MONTH OLD FINGER FOOD. They are not to that stage where they know how to chew... starting pureed foods at 4 months is iffy

A lot of babies cry when their parents eat around them but with my LO it seemed much more to do with the fact that we weren't giving her attention and we had a "toy" that she did not. She'd cry if I did anything that didn't include her.

If you are determined to keep weaning her on purees then maybe give her her dinner while you eat yours (although you wont get to eat much before yours goes cold) or give her a bowl and spoon to play with?

Oh and make sure she is full of Milk when you are eating. She may actually be hungrier now you are weaning because her body is more efficient at getting nutrients from milk at 4months old and a lot of the food nutrition wont be getting digested.

We are weaning our 4 month old as well, and he enjoys most foods, but they do have to be pureed at this stage. He has tried carrot, apple, pear, banana, porridge and avacado (not so keen on the avacado!) After a few weeks you can start to make the purees slightly thicker or lumpier so get them used to eating little lumps, and progress from there. Finger foods shouldn't be given till about 6 months as there's a risk of choking.

You could try giving your LO some puree at meal times so she can eat with you, or sometimes a spoon dipped in a little something so they can try and eat it themselves works!

HTH! x

4 months is very very very young... You can start solids at 4 months but you only give a little every day. You are weaning.....???? babies should have formula or breastmilk up to a year every 2-3 hours... did your doctor tell you to do this?

I am hoping you mean what food not finger food you can start with baby oatmeal watered down. Pureed carrots and green beans are good to start they must be pureed. only give one typ of food for three days to see if LO is allergic

Who says they should be fed every 2-3 hours?? Mine sleeps 11 hours straight some nights and the dr said it is perfectly fine and not to wake her to eat (and she is 22 pounds at 4 months, so she is not starving by any means) I have never heard that before for a 4 month old, only for a newborn.

Don't give finger foods at 4 months. If you have already started weaning, stick with the purees. The topic of weaning before 6 months is very much divided anyway but I'm pretty sure whatever side of the fence we are on 99% of us would agree finger foods can be very dangerous at 4 months old. LO is crying when you are eating because she wants what you have, simple as that. My LO still cries now when I have a cup of tea or OH has a cup of coffee, not because he's thirsty as he has his juice or milk, just because he wants what he have, but obviously I'm not gonna give him it. x

4 months is very very very young... You can start solids at 4 months but you only give a little every day. You are weaning.....???? babies should have formula or breastmilk up to a year every 2-3 hours... did your doctor tell you to do this?

I am hoping you mean what food not finger food you can start with baby oatmeal watered down. Pureed carrots and green beans are good to start they must be pureed. only give one typ of food for three days to see if LO is allergic

Who says they should be fed every 2-3 hours?? Mine sleeps 11 hours straight some nights and the dr said it is perfectly fine and not to wake her to eat (and she is 22 pounds at 4 months, so she is not starving by any means) I have never heard that before for a 4 month old, only for a newborn.
I was wrong when i typed that 2-3 hours is not up to a year sorry bout that

Way too early for finger foods.
I can't imagine giving my 4 month old anything yet.
She has grabbed my plate when she's been sitting on my lap but I'd never let her eat anything yet. She crys when I eat but I give her a toy to entertain her

my son is five months as of may 18th and he eats baby food , table food, and drink his similac with cereal. i don't have a problem with him choking because i would never give him anything that hard or can get stuck in his throat. he is a big 19 pounder but i want him to slow on the feedings man.

They sell puffed snacks for babies that melt in their mouths and turn into a puree-like texture. Gerber Graduates are a type of this snack. My son will be 5 months old next week and has had one every few days for a month now. He was weaned onto solids early due to severe reflux and being unable to maintain a healthy weight. If you really think your baby is ready for a finger food, I would definitely suggest starting with those. She'll probably just suck on them. Also, they have feeders that you can but fruits like banana into, and she will just suck the fruit out of that, but my baby is lazy and doesn't really like to hold onto the feeder. The puffs, he will actually hold and bite off of.

Forgot to mention that anything solid (including puffs etc.) needs to be given in an upright position. This is one reason why it might not be possible at 4months - it will depend on your LO's muscle tone as to how well she sits in an upright chair, or on your lap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->