Finn James Champion 23/02/09

beancounter

Reaction score
We are finally home so here is my lil Finns birth saga. I Developed rhesus disease in the later stages of pregnancy, so it is long and complicaed. Sorry about that. i don't suppose anyone will actually read this so just look at the pictures if you are bored.

At my 37 week scan (to check my blood wasn't hurting him) He was still a footling breech and they couldn't turn him cos of the rhesus thingie (and my abdominal muscles were so good they didn't fancy the chances of it working) and they didn't even fancy the chances of an induction so early working and he was poorly so a section would be easier on him, so they booked me in for a c section at 38 weeks. I was gutted but hey ho, what can you do?

The morning before the planned section, I woke up and had a pee then went to bed. I couldn't sleep and felt a bit odd, so went back to the loo to check and found I was bleeding. We phoned the hospital who tried to convince me it was my show (it wasn't) but graciously allowed me to come in and get checked. We arrived sunday, 6.06 am.

My check showed my cervix was bleeding, I was 1 cm dilated and having contractions (whoops). I was not allowed home. They didnt let me eat before I was checked and then when I got up on the ward they forgot to feed me lunch so all the starvation meant that the labour stopped. They don't do hot meals sunday evening so I had some delicious egg sandwiches which were sufficient to start things off again at about 5pm.

I have a high pain threshold, and they didnt seem to think I was as far into labour as I thought I was, so i accepted some paracetamol. Then realised this was stupid because paracetamol makes me hurl sometimes. The hurling did convince them to send me down to labour and delivery again.

Labour ward was very busy and I was mostly left alone (with my lovely OH). I started bleeding again and pressed the buzzer, only to be royally bollocked by some woman whom i have no idea who she was. It left me sort of scared to ever press the buzzer again although the everyone else was very lovely.
I actually got very frightened a foot was gonna pop out, but eventually I got a midwife (who was not meant to be on duty that night, she was called in it was so busy). She was very reassuring and gave me entonox which was was very enjoyable :D not sure I needed it but we were soon inseparable, me and the gas tube.

I think they were hoping I would last till my scheduled caesarean. By the time I was examined I was 4cm dilated, the doctor (who was called, incidentally, Dr Sultana) looked quite shocked and ran off. I had an emergency section in the next half hour. I was tired and the spinal did things to my brain so I didnt realise they'd even started (which my OH said was a good thing, he was pretty shocked by the way the table was shaking!), I could hear a baby crying and it confused me greatly. I didn't even hear them announce the sex so i was basically going 'is that MY baby? is it a boy?' they showed him to me but he was all wrapped up and I didn't get a cuddle but jim did then I gave him a kiss and they took him straight off to neonatal which was upsetting. It was 4.09am - 4 hours before I was due to arrive at the hospital.

I went to see him in a wheel chair as soon as I could move my legs after about 4 hours. Then he had to have a blood transfusion so I wasn't allowed to see him again until the evening (they had said I could go as soon as the catheter was out at 4pm and I was looking forward to that so I was upset again) but by the evening I could walk down to neonatal (high pain threshold :D) and I could see him whenever I wanted, but I didn't really feel happy till he was rooming in with me after 4 days, especially since they were topping him up with formula on neonatal and I didn't like that. Apparently most mothers cannot sustain a baby that's been on a glucose drip with boob juice alone, so I am the milky queen (I had to get up every hour the first night though and I didn't get any help picking him up or anything so it was tiresome)

After a week of phototherapy and 2 transfusions he wasn't anaemic and his jaundice was much better so we were allowed home. It was bliss as I have access to a working shower (with a soap dish so I didn't have to bend over all the time) and food that I could eat that didn't look like someone had already eaten it and chundered it back up on my plate. Finn is a jolly good baby (possibly cos of the jaundice :D he's so sleepy) and I have to feed him every 3 hours at least to make sure the levels stay low. And we have a lot of midwives and hospital appointments but we are generally very happy :D

The moral of my story is even if you don't get a single thing on your birth plan done (like cutting the cord or seeing the placenta because well, hell, they LOST it, or even skin to skin) even if it goes all wrong and you read these books and they seem to imply that the birth is terribly important and you must do all these things and give birth in water by the light of a candle singing a chant to mother earth you have failed and your baby will spend the first 3 months crying and possibly grow up to be a criminal (also due to the lack of a nursery with matching furniture) IT DOESN'T MATTER. The end result is the same and you should be too busy staring and loving your little baby and you should be damn proud you made that.

obviously i am lucky in my body is recovering well and going back to normal and my baby is happy and contented. The worse thing about a caesarean is they make you wear surgical stockings 24/7 for a week and will only give you ONE pair. THEY MINGED. All that hand washing seems to be in vain when you have the cause of 99% of hospital infections currently residing on your feet.

THE END xx

Attachments

• finn2.jpg
    finn2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 82
  • finn1.jpg
    finn1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 62
Aw, Congrats :)
Glad to hear things are going back to normal

so glad you and the wee man are doing well!!! Sounds like a scary experience! :hugs:

congratulations so glad you are both feeling better. And how true you some things just aren't that important in the grand scheme of things!! He is so gorgeous a real heart breaker! xx

congratulations. he is lovely

Congrats hun :) So happy to hear you are both doing so much better . He is just sooo CUTE :)

congrats, he is so cute n lovely! x

Awww Bean, I know its not been easy for you but you do tell a fantastic story hun! Its all a very interesting and nice read. Finn is such a cutie and the second photo is soooo cheeky bless him! :D
Congrats to you and Jim on such a bootiful boy :cloud9:

Thanks for sharing your birth story, I'm glad that everything is working out fine for you all now :hug:

Congrats hun!
Sounds like you did brilliantly with your labour/birth experience!
Your little man is absolutely gorgeous!

Aww lovely!! can i just say... what a great name! but then i am biased! he is a dream boat. congratulations. xx

congrats bean xxxxx hes lovely and great birth story xxxx

Congrats! I am so glad i read your story- my first was a c-section and i might be on for a second... LO is lovelly! Congrats!

I loved readig your story....your a great writer!!!! really! and Finn is gorgeous!!!!

I loved reading your story....your a great writer!!!! really! and Finn is gorgeous!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->