• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fireworks

smokey

Mummy to a monkey
Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been done elsewhere but seen as its that time of year.
How do you feel about fireworks?
While I love to watch them from the safety of my own home through the window I personaly dont agree with the public sale of explosives, I think they should be limited to proper liscenced organisations.
Yes there is still the risk of an accident but at least it is much more limited to a rarety rather then you random idiot out in the street throwing them around.
Last year I looked out of the window to see a couple of kids no older then about 13 lighting fireworks and crackers and throwing them under the cars in the carpark and that about summed it up to me the stupidity of selling them to the public.
I know alot of people are carfull with them and take procautions when having their own little display in thier garden but for every 1 safe person there are another 10 idiots.

I also dont realy understand the tradition of fireworks as it is essentialy commemorating a terrorist attempt, burning the guy on the bonfire symbolises guy fawks being stoped and excecuted not fireworks (and even that I dont understand as he wasnt burned on the stake)
Would there be the same appeal and attendance in awe if a different holiday popped up to commemerate more recent terrorist attempts?

I agree with you on the public sale thing. The thought of any idiot being able to buy them terrifies me. I do think people should be able to buy them for a private party but they should have to apply to the local council to avoid the 3am fireworks and the ones that get sent flying down the road!

I always have that sinking feeling when I'm near fireworks, I think maybe how dangerous they are was drummed into me a bit too much when I was little :shrug:

Earlier we had a few little fireworks at my parents house and my 2 1/2yr old nephew grabbed at an adults sparkler and burnt his hand a bit. It scared me half to death!

Anyway, I'm doomed to a lifetime of fireworks parties in years to come, I wish my son's birthday wasn't bonfire night!

I agree as well, I think they shouldn't be available to the general public. Scares me to think what some people try to do with them, and all the accidents too!

I love going to our towns display, its famous in the local area and a big deal around here.

I wouldn't feel comfortable having fireworks in our back garden or anything, if someone got hurt (and people can get hurt no matter how careful you are) I wouldn't be able to forgive myself.

I don't like the fact that someone can just walk into a supermarket or whatever and buy explosives either.

I love fireworks we set some off well we set ALOT off and its great you can set them off at your own pace stop for toilet or food breaks, of course there are going to be idiots with fireworks but then you have to question how a 13year old got hold of them in the first place? At the wholesale near us we never got ID'd buying them and no-one else did. Fire works are pretty to look at and people set them off all year round for weddings/fairs/partys not just bonfire night

I think they should be organised displayed only! We went to a fantastic one tonight. I hate home ones x

^^ WSS, it was great years ago when I was young in the 80's,you got the odd rocket from the newsagents (if you could afford it) and that was it, now they are sold in bulk deals from supermarkets, they are so powerful they shouldnt really be in the hands of the untrained.
Sounded like war out there last night, they're so loud and frightening - God I'm sounding old! :?

Yeah I agree with organised displays only too.
It does scare me that anyone can buy them, especially some of the idiots I know.
I do think there should be a curfew as to when they should stop, although I do think that would be pretty hard to impose if they continued to be sold to the general public!

We had a bunch of kids doing it outside our flat last night. So OH went out there and went mental. (It was about 11pm!)
Jake was fast asleep and I wouldn't have been impressed if he'd woken up because of them.
The kids were about 14 too!!!!!!!

there is a law on times fireworks can be set... 11pm apart from november 5th when they can go off untill 1am

there is a law on times fireworks can be set... 11pm apart from november 5th when they can go off untill 1am

1am is so late in my opinion! If Jake would have been woken up by a firework set off at 1am, I would not be happy.

See I think that sort of time is disgusting concidering its been dark since about 5-6 so theres plenty of time to watchy some before 11pm and if its only organised displays then there would be more chance that they stick to the curfew.
We still had them going off all round her till gone 2am

I love watching them but I do think they should only be done in controlled displays. Last week a man walked into my mums work and bought a load (her company take names and adresses) and a few hours later 3 ten year olds were caught by the police trying to set them off on the main road. I don't agree with public sale xx

I think organised displays are great however we used to have quite a few in peterborough now there is only 1 so it gets soo packed and its ratehr danagerous because of where it is people dont notice the drop on the grass and hurt themselfs, When i was little we used to have one near the local pub which was free had some fair rides ect But when there is only one place doing it chargeing £6 per head for 20Minutes of fireworks where all the food outlets charge lots of ££ for a simple burger and where its sooo heving little ones are not going to see the smaller fountins ect

EDIT:: posted before i had done lol

people group together spend say £20 each get soem cheap bugers and buns and the fireworks can last for over an hour ours did the other night and between us all we spent £70 had food, sparkerlers(sp?) all in that prices for 9 of us rather than £54 just for fireworks so for an extra £16 our fireworks lasted over an hour and we had food and a longer display without having to fight to see them and worry about falling off the grassy edge

I think organised displays are great however we used to have quite a few in peterborough now there is only 1 so it gets soo packed and its ratehr danagerous because of where it is people dont notice the drop on the grass and hurt themselfs, When i was little we used to have one near the local pub which was free had some fair rides ect But when there is only one place doing it chargeing £6 per head for 20Minutes of fireworks where all the food outlets charge lots of ££ for a simple burger and where its sooo heving little ones are not going to see the smaller fountins ect

people group together spend say £20 each get soem cheap bugers and buns and the fireworks can last for over an hour ours did the other night and between us all we spent £70 had food, sparkerlers(sp?) all in that prices for 9 of us rather than £54 just for fireworks so for an extra £16 our fireworks lasted over an hour and we had food and a longer display without having to fight to see them and worry about falling off the grassy edge

But isnt that a question of safety for the organisers to take responsability for and could happen at any event nothing to do with fireworks.
If public sale was banned then a few more liscenced displays would pop up because they then wouldnt be loosing money to public ones and wouldnt be so expensive because they wouldnt have to compete (ok maybe a little with each other).

We have a few round here that are run by a company called roundtable (not sure if they do others elsewhere) they also run other things like carol singers going round the streets with a big santa and sleigh each year and the money they raise from their collections and firework displays goes to charities such help the aged and comunity centres.

I just dont think expslosives should be sold to the public on the assumption that a few may not be idiots with them.
Should guns be made legal in this country again just because a few may use them responsabily or should drink driving be made legal just because a few may not cause an accident or kill someone.
Alot of the time its not even the person acting like an idiot with them that even gets hurt its someone innocent and it doesnt even take deliberate stupidity with them, unintentual misshapes happen with them as well

i dont agree with the public being able to buy fireworks. I have to sell them at work at this time of year and i dread it. At the end of the day they ARE explosives. If the public didnt buy them and paid to go to organised events, the organised events with be made bigger, better and safer plus there will probs be more events around too.

But isnt that a question of safety for the organisers to take responsability for and could happen at any event nothing to do with fireworks.
If public sale was banned then a few more liscenced displays would pop up because they then wouldnt be loosing money to public ones and wouldnt be so expensive because they wouldnt have to compete (ok maybe a little with each other).

We have a few round here that are run by a company called roundtable (not sure if they do others elsewhere) they also run other things like carol singers going round the streets with a big santa and sleigh each year and the money they raise from their collections and firework displays goes to charities such help the aged and comunity centres.

I just dont think expslosives should be sold to the public on the assumption that a few may not be idiots with them.
Should guns be made legal in this country again just because a few may use them responsabily or should drink driving be made legal just because a few may not cause an accident or kill someone.
Alot of the time its not even the person acting like an idiot with them that even gets hurt its someone innocent and it doesnt even take deliberate stupidity with them, unintentual misshapes happen with them as well

yeah they should have some type of barrior up but theu dont since you can stand on the drop and after the drop is a level path lower down so they leave it they have 1000's of people turn up so thye make alot of money since the only "free" part is the fireworks and bonfire a bonfire which last year almost blew past the fence when you think the amount of money they make vs how cheap fire works are you would think there would be better health and safety and they dont pay to use the place since its run by the place its self and they sell out to the fair and a good 20 burger/ice cream/pot roast vans lol

I love fireworks and have no problem commemorating the people taking on the government. I don't like private displays much though. Generally I would say the public shouldn't have access however I suppose it would be reasonable if rather small fireworks were available at least.

We have a neighbour who sets of millions of those massive ones from his yard in a big all night party. It's so awful. They set them off til about midnight then party on til the small hours outside. They're into cars and drag racing so as friends come and go we hear their engines screeching and tyres squealing right through the night. There is no way their yard allows them to get sufficient distance from those fireworks which I know will require at least 25m plus they have their little boys, maybe 6 and 10, out with them too. It's so dangerous.

I also hate the bonfires. We get loads set up in the public spaces by kids and it's not council policy to dismantle them. It seems on bonfire night anyone can set fire to anything anywhere and it's all good! :dohh:

I love fireworks and have no problem commemorating the people taking on the government. I don't like private displays much though. Generally I would say the public shouldn't have access however I suppose it would be reasonable if rather small fireworks were available at least.

We have a neighbour who sets of millions of those massive ones from his yard in a big all night party. It's so awful. They set them off til about midnight then party on til the small hours outside. They're into cars and drag racing so as friends come and go we hear their engines screeching and tyres squealing right through the night. There is no way their yard allows them to get sufficient distance from those fireworks which I know will require at least 25m plus they have their little boys, maybe 6 and 10, out with them too. It's so dangerous.

I also hate the bonfires. We get loads set up in the public spaces by kids and it's not council policy to dismantle them. It seems on bonfire night anyone can set fire to anything anywhere and it's all good! :dohh:

But isnt that basicly the defanition of terrorists especialy in the way that it was done, after all isnt that why we still celebrate it to commemorate a terrorist attempt, something that I am rather surprised about in this day (not against just surprised)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->