First car

pandacub

Proud mummy to Jacob
Reaction score
Hello ladies, well I finally passed my practical driving test on Wednesday :happydance: so I'm looking to buy my first car. At the moment I'm so overwhelmed!
I literally know nothing about cars, so really feel I do need someone to go to viewings with me but I don't know anyone who knows anything about cars either :( I don't want to be an easy target for someone to offload a piece of crap. Someone at work said that the AA (or similar) will check over a car for about £20 so that is an option, but if I look at several cars the cost will soon mount.

any info you could give about when you bought your first car would be appreciated :)

Congratulations on passing your test!!

My first car was a 9 yr old little Peugeot 206. I paid £1100 for it and loved it! I'd say get something a little bit older and rough around the edges, you're bound to knock it and bump it (happens to most!) So you're going to be gutted if you get something shiny and new and accidently bump it.

Are you looking for a diesel or a petrol?

My first car was a 10 year old renult Megane, I loved it, I only got rid of it in August and upgraded to a newer car it lasted me over 2 years I only paid £1400 for it, I got an older car for the same reason as pp, I wouldn't have cared so much if I bumped it, and I didn't once got my new car and bumped it within 6 weeks it's a gutting feeling x

DH had a micra when I passed my test but a week later we traded it in for a new (cheap end) small saloon. It was a Daewoo Lanos and a great wee car while we only had one LO but when DS came along (9months later) I traded it in for a Renault scenic which was much more practical for our needs back then as we couldn't even fit the double buggy in the Lanos!!

I don't believe that new drivers should buy rough cars because they are bound to have bumps and scrapes though, i don't know anyone who had any bumps after passing their test. I think as a new driver you need to base your car choice on both budget and practicality. Think about what you need from a car. Big boot? 5 doors? Small saloon? Super mini? Large saloon? - look around online at lots of second hand car sites to give you an idea of what each model can offer you. Also do online insurance quotes to see how that works out. Sometimes a mid sized diesel saloon (Skoda Octavia for ex) can be cheaper to insure than a small (boy racer) Vauxhall corsa. Once you have an idea of what type of car you are looking for only then look locally and see what is available.

I had a KA as my car to learn to drive in then I kept it for a year or so after I passed. I went for something mid range (price wise) so something that wasn't brand new but something that hadn't done too many miles so it would hopefully be reliable because I was going to be driving to and from work everyday. It was a fab little car, perfect for a first car I think, so easy to drive/park.
I then spent a lot more on my second car (Mini) when I was about 19/20. Again, wanted something low milage and very reliable since by then I was having to travel with work sometimes and having two LO's I didn't want a car that would be breaking down or cost me a lot in the long run. I still have said car; I'm 23 now so I've had it 3/4 years and I've had no problems with it. Looking at trading it in soon but that's only because I just fancy a change and the miles are creeping up on my car now.
I've never bumped/scratched any of my cars (feel like I'm tempting fate by saying that :lol:) and I think sometimes it is worth spending that little bit more so you're not buying something that will only last a few months. If it seems too cheap or too good to be true then there's a chance it's that cheap for a reason, there are some bargains around but just be careful.
I agree with what was said above about thinking about what you want or need in a car. I'd also say don't rush into making a purchase, I've been thinking about getting a new car since the summer time but I've just been taking my time and looking at lots of options first.

My first car was an 8 year ford fiesta called snoop. He was brilliant I loved that car so much. I drove a lot of miles in that car and after 2.5 years it packed in (on the motorway at 11pm to be precise :haha:)

The next car I got was a brand new seat Ibiza 3dr called Rubes. I also loved that one but my partner passed his test not long after I got the car and he took it to work so I very rarely drove it!

My mum then gave me her seat Ibiza which was 6 years old at the time. Great car. Unfortunately that has since been written off.

Our current cars are a 58 plate corsa and a 13 plate qashqai. I love both but they are very different. An suv is on the car to start off with so I would recommend a small car like a ford fiesta or focus, Vauxhall corsa or the seat ibiza. All great little run around.

Will you be doing a lot of miles if not I wouldn't go for a diesel. We have one and it is a totally different drive.

With having a child I would always recommend a 5dr, its just easier. Look at the age of the car and the miles. If there is more than 10,000 per year (eg 59 plate but 120 000 miles) I would avoid but that's just me.

Male sure it has an least 6 months MOT on it, although most garages wouldn't sell one without this as a minimum. Check any advisors on the MOT for potentially costs in the future (new tures/breaks etc). Road tax for all my cars have been about £130 per year but I know a little Peugeot 106 or Citroen c1 is only £20 per year. Check how much road tax is as its based on the car emissions.

Good luck its very exciting!

I personally prefer smaller cars myself, cheaper to run and easier to drive in my opinion! I've a few small cars- fiesta, polo and now a KA. But it depends what you need the car for, we have an estate for a family car that hubby tends to drive and then because I drive 90 miles a day I needed something extremely economical so I have a diesel KA, and our 2 kids fit fine in the back of it. So I'd look at what you need, costs for running it and then also consider insurance groups as a first time driver. But mostly it needs to be something you're comfortable driving, if you need something family friendly but don't feel ready for a big car yet a hatchback like a focus is a good compromise.

Our first was a hatchback not too long ago. We had a seat Leon and it was a good little car tbh. Easy to drive and half decent space and boot. Ntb price and insurance either (insurance was going to be expensive no matter what!) We had to get rid as we needed space for three car seats.
I was told to look for cars that have at least 6 months mot, last thing you want is to buy a car put through an mot in a month and have to payout loads if it doesn't pass.
Are your parents able to help? we also kept going on auto trader, like loads, ran loads of quotes through compare the market to get an idea of insurance cost (I didn't know this so will say but sorry if you already know but insurance changes like daily so take it as a rough guide)
Know what your budget too.

Thanks everyone :) it will be just me an my LO using it on a daily basis and the boot only really needs to be big enough for the weekly shop so will only need a small car.

Although I don't want to rush into buying something, I don't want to leave it for ages because I don't want to lose confidence on the road!

Did you all take along someone who knows about cars to check it over?

My oh knows a big about cars so he always went. He also would take his mate most times just for a second opinion so I would say yeah, at least have someone as a second opinion, even if it's someone who's owned a few cars so they know the right questions to ask that you might not think of

My first was a VW Polo, then I had a Honda Jazz as my mum upgraded and now I have a Toyota Yaris. I would recommend any of these as a first car but the Jazz was my favourite as it has an amazingly spacious boot for a small car :thumbup:

I always take my mum and although she doesn't know a huge amount about cars shd doesn't suffer fools lightly and can usual negotiate a good deal.

My car now is a 60 plate polo, i love it the boot is a great size it's only a 2 door but doesn't bother me in the slightest my husband has a 14 plate focus which is lovely to drive also

Congrats!

My first car was a fiat punto sporting. I took my Dad along with me as he knows everything there is to know about cars and engines.

I now drive an audi a6 estate which is a dream to drive.

Can i second looking at a Honda Jazz, incredible spacious but cheap to run and insure.
I can easily fit 2 adults 3 children and a weekend away luggage, boots big for size of car. Good luck car shopping!

Thanks for all your replies :D
I bought a car today!! A little Ford Fiesta. Small, but feels roomy inside and a decent sized boot :)
The chap delivered it to my mums house at 17:30, so of course it was pitch black by that time! I went out with my dad for 15 mins then drove myself and my little boy home :D roads were pretty clear fortunately.

It feels so strange! It's the only car I've driven other than the one I learned in. The gears movement feel small compared to the other one, but it's much easier to get going in first gear, I always started soo slowly in the skoda but this one nips along lovely :)

Aww Ford Fiesta was my first car too, was such a good little runner, I tried to get a fiesta this time actually but only went for a KA as I found a good deal. Cheap to run and parts are made in the UK which helps for repairs :)

^^ my oh wanted a ford for our first car for the very same reason.

Loved my fiesta! He was brilliant, was like my home from home :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->