First Christmas in hospital :-(

sherryberry79

Mummy to Amelia
Reaction score
Well, as the title suggests Amelia was in hospital for Christmas :cry:

She was snuffly on Tuesday morning and was sneezing alot, so I called and asked the community nurse to come to check on her. The snow was thick and still falling on Tues where we are and she said she did not think she could get to us. She must have thought better of not bothering to come and thank god she did because when she checked Millie's sats they were hovering in the low 80's. She immediately put her 02 up to 0.4 from 0.2 and called the hospital to see if the doctors wanted to see her. They said no, she could stay at home. The community nurse aranged for us to borrow a sats machine from the neonatal unit so we could mon itor her whilst she is under the weather and it quickly became apparent that she was not sustaining adequate sats in 0.4, so she went to 0.6 when that too was not enough I put her up to 0.7 and on the advice of the neonatal unit called an ambulance.

She did really well in hospital, and it looked like she would be discharged on Christmas morning, but then on Christmas eve she had two rather spectacular de-sats and it was not to be! She was discharged yesterday (boxing day) and to be honest I am not sure that the hospital have done the right thing. The poor little thing is so congested she can hardly breathe through her nose, and I am constantly upping her oxygen when she de-sats through a feed/has her nappy changed/spontaneously de-sats. Having a baby home on 02 is daunting at the best of times, but having one who is on 02 and poorly is scary, and I just keep wondering what would happen if she had a major 'dusky do', I am not trained to deal with that. The second one she had on Christmas eve there were three nurses dealing with her and even they panicked and called the doctor in pronto. I think the hospital are expecting rather alot of me!

Anyway hope you guys all had a lovely Christmas.....I have seen the some of the pics on here and I have to say the babies are looking absolutely divine!

oooh hun :hugs: i think you do have a lot to handle there! i dont know how i would have coped with o2 at home, in the hospital it was hard enough!

:hugs:

Oh Hun, my heart goes out to you. Why don't you have a chat with the hospital and explain how you feel. It really is a lot for you to deal with xxx

Big hugs honey, this must be so worrying for you. Please do stay in touch with the hospital's unit, and with your outreach midwives, that's what they're all there for.

:hugs: oh hun Im so sorry to hear that she was doing really well. You are an amazing mummy and recognising your worried about her proves that even more, def keep in touch with the hospital and community team Im sure they will check on you all more often and if need be take Millie back in til she is over the worst if you are concerned.

When she is fully recovered re-do xmas day its another excuse to spoil her and get those first pics Millie is too wee to know any better and you and your family can celebarate with her properly :hugs: xx

Poor Millie. And poor Sherryberry too! What a crappy christmas to have.

How is she doing now?

I think you're amazing for dealing with this so well. It must be so worrysome.

It sounds like you know exactly what to do. You know the point at which to call in the cavalry and a first responder paramedic is usually a matter of minutes away in a real emergency.

Fingers crossed she gets well soon.

Im so sorry you are going through this! :hugs:

I would keep in close contact with the NICU...Im a little shocked they discharged her so quickly honestly, you would think they would keep her at least till she was breathing better or her o2 needs were back to where they were when she was first discharged.

How is she doing now?

So sorry to hear this...I hope Millie gets better soon. You did the right thing, you went with your instincts.

I can't imagine what it is like having a baby home on O2 but Emily did have lots of episodes when she came home where she would hold her breath whilst feeding and turn dusky, if she had a sats monitor on her it would probably be screaming brady/apnea. We used to poke her in the ribs to get her to breath again...it was the reflux which was bothering her, she soon grew out of it as her lungs matured. Millie's lungs will only get stronger as she grows so thankfully for you both, this won't last forever...big hugs to you!
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->