• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

First pair of glasses - not a happy chappy

Fredapain

Reaction score
Optician has recommended my 5 year old DS wear glasses for reading/writing/computer work. She said he's long sighted with a slight astigmatism which in an adult wouldn't warrant glasses and in 6 months he may not need any. Very confusing.

Anyway, to cut a long story short my DS was so distraught we had to leave the shop as there was no way he was going to pick his frames. We're going back tomorrow....

....any one had to deal with an unwilling glasses wearer? Any tips?

My youngest needs glasses but wont leave them on. We have tried having her pick them but she still wont.

If youre in the US ( because im not sure otherwise), Zenni Optical is SUPER cheap ( under $10), which is great for kids losing and breaking them.

My daughter was 2 1/2 when first had to wear and turns 5 tomorow, we were told to start with just get on as much as possible especially when watching tv, reading basically when distracted. We also went to build a bear and got a toy she loved and bought glasses for it, if he likes super hero's say about super man wears glasses, specsavers have character ones which makes more popular for my lo. The biggest thing we found was dd could see more clearly so very quickly realised she was happier wearing. She also finds molded more comfortable than ones with nose bits. She does have to wear all time and for her was worse having to wear patch 4hrs a day. Specsavers do super hero glasses, moshi monsters, minions and Disney so you may find they go down better plus get one extra pair free. I would just get to put on at him for now when watching tv, computer etc, then try build up in holidays so when comes to September now a big deal. We also made a big deal how cool look. I made sure to wear my glasses when she picked. Do reward chart and make into fun day, when we do glasses pick day we go out for smoothie and look around shops so not all about that. Buying the build a bear really helped with my lo, my ds now wants to steel her glasses to wear. We don't draw huge focus and now dd loves to choose

I had the opposite problem, Ds was gutted after his pre school eye test because he was told he didn't need glasses by the optician after the Dr had suggested he might. As a double check the optician brought him back 6 months after starting school for an extra check, glad he did as he did need them by then - he was delighted! We were in specsavers, as mentioned by pp, they had a good range and he left with two pairs, 1 are minions and the other Spiderman (his favorite superhero). Good luck tomorrow and beyond.

Thanks everyone. Took on board the advice about wearing them over the summer, told him this and he was really relieved. It's all come at a bad time what with class changes due to transition into year 1 and having settling in sessions. I think it was just one more change to many at the moment.

We managed to pick a frame...! They're Star wars ones so 'really cool' he says. Makes me laugh seeing as he's never even watched Star wars!

Next battle will be wearing them, but we've had a few days sunglasses wearing practice so fingers crossed.

So glad to hear you're over the first hurdle. When you mentioned the sunglasses wearing practice you made me think - at the start of the summer I bought my Ds a pair of prescription sunglasses, they only cost £32 and have been well worth it for the brighter weather but I can't help wonder that if you're Ds is already happy wearing sunglasses he may well take to wearing prescription ones then move on to the other ones.

So glad to hear you're over the first hurdle. When you mentioned the sunglasses wearing practice you made me think - at the start of the summer I bought my Ds a pair of prescription sunglasses, they only cost £32 and have been well worth it for the brighter weather but I can't help wonder that if you're Ds is already happy wearing sunglasses he may well take to wearing prescription ones then move on to the other ones.

Good idea. He keeps asking if his glasses are ready which is really encouraging. Let's just hope it stays that way when we pick them up next week.....

You may find once has them its fine. My DD who as said above was 2 and the simple fact she could see so much better meant she didn't take off to much. She does get frustrated when rains though. We did train well to make sure put in same place every night or in bag at school when swimming as if not I know a few people who have had lost glasses at school

I would also add that getting him to wear them as soon as he gets up in the morning will soon make him adjust, it really helped with our daughter!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->