first time hypnobirthing.

ljo1984

2DDs,2angels <3
Reaction score
hiya im really interested in trying out hypnobirthing to help me though as long as possible. i want an active birth but in a hospital environment. my last plan went to pot when i was accelerated 24 hours after waters breaking, ended up with epidural and forceps :cry: if i was a member on here before hand id of have more knowledge and of refused this until i showed signs of infection/fetal distress etc but im not dwelling on it, i want to move on and hopfully do it the way i want this time.

so has anyone got any recomendation on books, resorces for hypnobirthing? and is anyone doing this with a OH who looks at you like you have two heads when you mention it?? ha ha.

Yes I am! I thought DH would be a bit put off hippy-ish nature but actually he's well into it - he said the 1st session destressed him after a horrible day at work, so he's a convert! We're doing classes but it's based on the Marie Mongan method, so you could just get the book... and/or CD?

We've only had 1 session so far but that was really useful - what I like is the mix of factual information... how uterine muscles work etc, positive thinking/creative visualisation and relaxation breathing. It's really taken away a lot of my initial fear and made me feel a lot more confident/in control... and that's just after 1 session.

Would definitely recommend it so far!

This is the book we're using:
https://www.google.co.uk/products/c...a=X&ei=BKokTsvNEsqy8QOm3emWAw&ved=0CFgQ8wIwAA

Haha! Yeah my DH was like "you want to do what" at first but it's been drummed into him for the past 6 months and now he's highly knowledgeable on the subject :haha:

If you only read one book on Hypnobirthing it should be Marie Mongans book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hypnobirth...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311025742&sr=1-1

I can't recommend it enough.

Also I listen to Hypnobirthing tracks every night which are great, very relaxing and highly recommended by others. I got a home study course at a great price from a Hypnobirthing Practitioner called Dany Griffiths. There is a lovely lady on here called "Mervs Mum" who kindly shared the details (and discount) on this thread:

https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/509198-home-study-hypno-birth.html

Other than that I went to my local library and took out all the books I could on Hypnobirthing, Natal Hypnotherapy and natural childbirth. I also come on here and ask loads of questions, there is always someone willing to answer them for me!

Best of luck,

Sarah :flower:

we're about to start hypnobirthing classes in a few weeks! i'm definitely excited for it :) DH was a little bit like "say what" when i first mentioned it - he just kept asking if there were breathing exercises (like in the movies i guess!) and once he found out there were, he seemed satisfied :)

so what do the books say? do they go into the techniques, or is it more a high-level overview?

Hi! There are lots of Hypnobirthing practitioners covering the Leeds area. Cheryl Mason is excellent and Eithne Clark is too. They both have backgrounds in midwifery and I have supported several couples who have done their courses who have used the techniques very effectively. As a former hympnobirther myself I know it's important to have a birth partner who buys into it. My hubby was sceptical but came along because he knew it was important to me. He said after just one session he felt more prepared and able to support me than he had with everything we had done with our other baby. The home study course is great too and that plus reading the Mongan book will set anyone up who can't do the classes for any reason. Support is key so who ever will be with you in labour needs to understand how they will be supporting you by attending classes or reading the book.

Off topic slightly but I recommend you try to get along to the Leeds Home Birth group too. You'll meet lots of people planning, thinking about or who have had home births and many of whom will be hypnobirthers. Even if you are not planning a home birth it's a great place to meet people with the same approach to birth and hear wonderful positive birth stories.

https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=485151625493

Hi! There are lots of Hypnobirthing practitioners covering the Leeds area. Cheryl Mason is excellent and Eithne Clark is too. They both have backgrounds in midwifery and I have supported several couples who have done their courses who have used the techniques very effectively. As a former hympnobirther myself I know it's important to have a birth partner who buys into it. My hubby was sceptical but came along because he knew it was important to me. He said after just one session he felt more prepared and able to support me than he had with everything we had done with our other baby. The home study course is great too and that plus reading the Mongan book will set anyone up who can't do the classes for any reason. Support is key so who ever will be with you in labour needs to understand how they will be supporting you by attending classes or reading the book.

Off topic slightly but I recommend you try to get along to the Leeds Home Birth group too. You'll meet lots of people planning, thinking about or who have had home births and many of whom will be hypnobirthers. Even if you are not planning a home birth it's a great place to meet people with the same approach to birth and hear wonderful positive birth stories.

https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=485151625493

thank you, thats great info. i doubt i'd get OH to come along to classes!! it was hard enough dragging him kicking and screaming to my active birth class last time!! (ok thats an over exagerated but he was still moaning non stop then said it was stupid afterwards!! :nope:) so i just wanted to do it at home, then when i get my head round it all, sort out a detailed birth plan i'll sit him down tell him how its going to (hopefully) be, and what i expect from him. id of had my mum in as well, she will probably do anything to just be there, but then i need her to have imogen really! especially if its overnight, as she looks after her alot, and id only feel comfortable with her been there over night (plus it would be her first time away from us!)
im definatly going to get that book though. xx

Hi

I used Natal Hypnotherapy throughout pregnancy, labour and delivery and can't rate it highly enough. You can read my DD2's homebirth story if you click the link in my sig at the bottom.

I didn't go to any classes or read any books but I just bought the 3 cds - pregnancy relaxation, birth preparation, birth music. I listened to the preg relaxation cd roughly 3-4 times a week until 30 weeks then moved onto the birth prep cd. I listened to that 5 times a week until 37 weeks then I listened to it every day until birth day. The birth music I put on for the last couple of hours of labour/delivery.

I've never slept very well whether pg or not, but listening to the preg relaxation cd was excellent in helping me unwind each evening and I slept quite well between the loo trips lol.

The birth prep cd was fantastic in helping me visualise a relaxing, calm and positive birth and that's what I ended up having :happydance: :thumbup:

Hubby isn't one for believing in "hippy stuff" like hypnotherapy but he had his mind changed after seeing my labour and delivery hehe :thumbup: :happydance: :hugs: He now knows hypnotherapy DOES work as he's seen it in action for himself.

HTH and good luck :flower:

xx

i want to check into it, but i doubt i have the mental concentration for it - i am terrible at anything meditative! i do think hypnobirthing sounds really neat, though.

greta, which CD's did you get? i got my book, so really excited about getting started. i was on a night shift last night and the girl i was with did hypnobirthing with her youngest (which i never knew) so had a good talk with her, and she did the breathing baby out technique. i got goose bumps and very excited as i so want her labour/birth!! she got the best MW ever as well, she was very into hypno birthing and homopathic pain relief etc. she did it pain relief free, no tears or anything (she tore quite bad with her first so was terrified, as am i after an episiotomy with imogen! cringe!)
thanks for all the advice girls, i really hope i can do this, and everything goes according to plan this time! xx

My hubby was really skeptical at first, but he went along with it for me, and our birth went fabulously. In fact, he now tells pregnant friends/acquaintances about how wonderful it was.

Birth story in siggy!

you have a fantastic birth story, i just hope i'll be able to share a good one in december!!xx

I am expecting my first baby in October and I have been taking Hypnobirthing classes as my MW recommended it. I must admit I was put off by the price as money is tight and so I just ordered the book and intended on doing it on my own, however I did in the end decide to go to the classes and it was the best decision I could have ever made. I am reading the book for the second time to help put together my birthing plan but you get SO much more from attending the classes so if you can get the money together I would seriously recommend it. Also doing it as soon as possible is important to allow you maximum time to practice what you have learnt.

My husband was totally not up for it and thought I was a bit nuts to begin with but I was determined to do what I could to reduce my risks of a horrible birth that seem all too common. Basically I have been to every class on my own, there are three other couples and me but everyone is really friendly and just happy to share in the experience. So don't be put off by going alone, personally I have preferred doing it alone as I know hubby would have found some of it difficult so instead of worrying about him I can just concentrate on me and what I need to do for my baby. Besides he has totally noticed a change in me and has realised what a positive impact it has had on my view of pregnancy, besides I relay all the important bits to him after each class and he has got really excited about the whole prospect which I think would have not been the case if I had forced him to attend the classes. I am going to do a little plan just for him so he remembers all the things he needs to do on the day and he is totally cool with that, he wants to help but in my case he did not need to attend classes to do this, but that is just us!

It has been an amazing experience and is a real eye opener to how society has influenced our birthing experiences. I am so glad that I made the decision to go to classes, I have gone from being completely terrified to completely excited about the whole experience. It really will change your perception of pregnancy as a whole.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->