First-Time Moms? 40 and expecting...

blm1975

Reaction score
I'm almost 6 weeks pregnant with my first. We went off birth control last August and my last period was the day before my 40th birthday. I'm totally ecstatic and completely terrified. My biggest fear right now is miscarrying. I know my odds are so much higher because of my age. Despite my age, the obgyn didn't want to see me until 8 weeks (it will actually be 9 when they can get me in). So, no ultrasound until then. Just waiting and nervous. I want to get excited and start looking at baby names and daydreaming about a baby, but I'm also trying to remain detached until I can see via ultrasound that things are progressing normally. Does everyone of advanced age feel this way? I have friends who've had babies, but they were/are all much younger. I would love a support group of others around my age, especially first-time moms like myself.

Becky

First - congrats!!

I'm 37 with my first....but totally know how you are feeling. I spent a lot of time thinking I was SOOO lucky....followed by...don't get your hopes up just yet.

don't let the dreaded "you're over 35" crap get to you. everyone is different...no matter what age. i have had no issues with anything, and i'm not that much younger. :hugs: yes, it's scary....BUT worth every bit of it!

my dr saw me at 5 weeks for an ultrasound. you can always have a private one done. I've done that myself. since i had one at 5 weeks, dr didn't want me to have another until like 18 or something....i paid for a private one at 9 weeks. i wanted to see!!

wishing you the best!!!

Congratulations!! I had my first at 46 (was 45 when I found out I was pregnant), and yes, I stayed detached for quite a while actually bc I never thought the pregnancy would stick. But it did, and she turns 2 next month. It wasn't until the genetic testing results came back that I started thinking about baby names and looking at baby items. Again, congrats. and heck, you're a spring chicken compared to me LOL

Hi Becky!

I am 38 and this is my first, I will be right on the cusp of 39 when my baby is born.

My doctor too would not see me early, he typically likes to wait until 2 periods are missed and then I didn't have my first ultrasound until around 12 weeks.

It was torture making it that long without having any reassurance the pregnancy was going to stick....

That being said he didn't consider me high risk eventhough my age suggested different.

This pregnancy has been treated like a normal pregnancy with a few bumps along the way.

Good luck to you. This is a great place for support!

Congratulations! That is so exciting!

I'm 38 and expecting my first. I was really worried about the age thing too but none of my health care providers have mentioned it as an issue! It's totally realistic to expect that you will have a normal and healthy pregnancy :)

I'm 41. I think it's normal to feel this way, especially since we are a little older. I had an ectopic pregnancy right before this pregnancy, so I was fully expecting the same to happen at my first u/s. My first u/s was early because I was undergoing fertility treatments. At my first u/s, I found out I was having twins. It wasn't until around 14 weeks that I started getting really excited. I had complications along the way, but I'm now at 34 weeks with my babies measuring big. I am high risk because of my age and the twins, so I've had a lot of u/s between my regular ob and my high risk doctor. In fact, now I see each doctor once a week.

But, you will be fine and your first u/s will be so exciting. It is absolutely amazing to see that heartbeat for the first time.

Not a first timer but I am 40 and 9 months pregnant. I feel really young tho. Hope everyone is well!!

Hi blm1975,

This is my second pregnancy but just wanted to reassure you that what you're feeling it totally normal! I had my first at 39 and didn't really ever talk about it even to my OH until I got past the first scan at 12 weeks! This time I'm 41 and I'm around 26 weeks and all's gone great so far.
I just preferred to stay more "detached" until I knew things were good but I reckon I'd have been like that even if I was younger!

Hope everything goes great for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"