First Time Mom's - Due March/April 2013

Sarah, I'm so sorry about the night wakings! At least Izzy's going straight back to sleep! Also, I'm not out of the woods yet. I think Sarah may be sleeping better now because she's no longer hungry all the time :blush: but we still have our troubles. After her 7.5 hr stretch last night, she was wide awake and didn't go back to sleep for an hour and a half! Just laid there whining off and on, sucking on her toes and blowing spit bubbles. It's 3:30am right now and she's been doing the same for the last 30 mins but fingers crossed she does it for less time than last night. Plus, I still wake up every 2 hours even if she doesn't (I think my body's so used to that schedule). So in a way, I'm still up at night!

I don't think you're doing anything bad by nursing Izzy to sleep. She's still so young. This is only the first week that Sarah has consistently self-soothed at bedtime (she's almost 19 weeks). I'm sure it will come eventually. :hugs:

Sarah - I hope you're okay after your fall! Falling down my stairs while holding Aiden is probably one of my biggest fears. I even had DH carry Aiden up and down the stairs for me after I did a lower body workout that left my legs feeling like cooked noodles just so I wouldn't risk falling with him.

Injections Hope everyone's babies do well with their vaccines. Aiden goes for his in 4 month shots in August. I think on the 6th but I'm not positive about that.

Weaning I've also read a lot of different stuff about this. Like I've read they shouldn't have anything but breastmilk or formula before 6 months. Then other sites say you can introduce solids at 4 months. Then I've read some places not to give cows milk before a year and then other places say you can give it at 9 months. I think at my 4 month visit I'm going to ask for information about introducing solids and then go about it whatever way works the best for us.

Anyone else planning to make their own baby food?

Lindsey - I agree 100% about switching to formula if breastfeeding was becoming so much of a struggle for you and Sarah. Definitely think it's more important that you are both happy with your feeding arrangement.

Also agree with your rant. I don't think I'm a better parent because I co-sleep, cloth diaper, and breastfeed. Those are just the decisions DH and I made because they are what work for us. I don't get why some people don't understand that what works for some families simply doesn't work for others.

AFM Rough night with Aiden last night. He just did not seem to sleep well after midnight because he kept moving around so much.

DH wants us to start putting Aiden to sleep in his crib but I feel like its never going to work. I tried putting him in there last night and he ended up waking up as soon as I moved my arms.

Brittany have you got anyway that you could have his crib attached to your bed to get him used to it slowly? So he'd still be beside you, but technically in his own crib? And make the transfer gradual? Maybe just taking one of the sides off his crib and making sure the mattress heights match would work? You're right, the amount of different info about weaning (actually, about EVERYTHING) is insane! I think getting guidelines from your pedi and going from there is a good idea.

And yeah, I definitely plan on making all Izzys food. I've mentioned we will do a version of blw so she'll just eat whatever we have, or I'll cook her up some extra vegetables in the beginning, or if we are having something too spicy etc. I guess because nobody in my family has used jars it's not really on my radar. Plus I'm way too much of a skinflint to pay for extra food. :haha: I hate grocery shopping and spending that money as it is! And I feel like feeding her what we eat will benefit us by making us have more veg!

Lindsey, 19 weeks already?! What the heck, where has that time gone?! I hope your body retrains to let you get more sleep soon. Sorry she's up during the night like that. Even if she isn't crying, it's so hard to sleep through that "stirring" isn't it?

Ugh night times are officially my least favourite time of day!! She fusses now going to bed, then wakes all night - what's to like :haha: but I know it won't last forever so, as much as I moan about it (which is a lot!!!) I'm not feeling too bad about it atm. I just wish for her sake that things were easier. I hate her getting upset when she goes to bed.

Lauren
Beau is beautiful :) And the dress is marvellous :) When you have a pic of her in it you definitely have to post it!

Brittany
Thanks for all the nice words :blush: I sometimes find it so hard to be a mother, all the advice that I get is v. often contradictive and if you have to work out what's best for your child by yourself I guess you'll always have this feeling that maybe you did something wrong. A feeling along the lines that in a few years' time it'll appear that I should or shouldn't have done something and some problems are caused by me doing/not doing sth... Hard to explain but I started having this creepy feeling recently and it's just awful, Lily is so little and I started being scared about her future health, happiness and all that.
I'm also trying to make Lily giggle, but it;s a hard job - she's done it a few times when I was kissing her neck v. loudly and that's it.
And thx for the info abt vit D!

Sarah
I used saline Nasal Spray, I didn't see drops in the pharmacy, but I guess it's all the same. It does help a lot, I used it for two days and it was way better.
Now I understand what you meant by Izzy not eating fully, I guess you can't do anything with that. I heard that tickling a ckeeck helps and a baby starts eating again, but it failed completely with L.
I also think about baby led weaning, I need to read more abt that idea.
I'm so sorry about your fall :hugs: But accidents like that do happen, fortunately nothing bad happened to Iz. But there is something weird about falling with a baby, I mean that you instinctively protect it from the fall and getting hurt. My midwife told me once (when I was pg and panicking about dealing with such a small creature) that it's very rare to really hurt a baby, as parents have this instinct to protect a baby from all the danger.
But Isabelle had a bad day, your nephew kicking her after the fall, poor thing:hugs:
As for vit. D, I asked my doctor and she advised me not to give her vit. D in summer, as L. will produce enough being outside. The problem is that I heard from my friend that her doctor insists on giving vit. D all the time for a few years.
I just want to make a good decision and wanted to know how it looks like in different countries. My country always "lags" - like with vit K, I heard that in many countries it's not used anymore at all and here it's obligatory straight after birth and for the next three months.

As far as a pacifier is concerned, Lily refused to take it after the hospital, so I decided not to use it. It seems that she doesn't need it at all, but to be honest it seems that she uses my breats in this role, as sometimes she just calms down for a minute and she's all happy :)

Lindsey, It's fantastic that Sarah sleeps better and she's able to self-settle, I guess it makes you feel better and more relaxed :) Hope that teething pain won't come back, maybe you've already had your share of that :) And 7,5 hours of sleep - wow!:happydance:
As for the "debates" you mentioned, I think that what you wrote before is true - a happy Mum = a happy baby and it doesn't matter if you sleep with your child or not, breastfeed or give a formula, as long as you and the baby are happy, that's all that matters. Different things work out for different people and different babies. I remember myself saying when I was pg that my baby will definitely sleep in her own crib in her own room and I and my hubby sleeping together. But, real life changed my way of thinking, it's way easier for me to sleep with Lily, I feel great doing that and I know that it's what we both need. And my husband sleeps in Lily;s room:dohh: We tried sleeping together with her, but he has such a light sleep that a tiny sounds Lily makes wakes him up immedietaly (when she made a very quiet sound my husband was immediately up and waking me to feed her - I didn't even hear her!). And since he works really hard, he can't afford to be sleepy. So, we had to change our plans, but all the time I hear that what we're doing is bad, as Lily will not be able to sleep alone, it's going to be difficut, a baby should sleep in its own bed etc. So it's the other way round here :) So I believe that you know what's best for you and your family and has to stick with it, no matter what other people say. And other people should not comment on that, I mean a gentle advice is ok, but not bossing around.
Oh, but there;s one thing I just can;t bare - the idea that when a child cried, it "exercises" its lungs and you should leave it alone.For 5 minutes, 10, 15, as long as it takes, as baby needs to learn to self-control and you shouldn't carry the baby as it wil get used to that and will want you to carry him/her no stop. For me it's just barbaric to leave a child crying. So here I'd argue like mad.

Sarah
Lindsey is totally right, it takes time. now that Lily is over 4, falling to sleep is getting better (and faster!). It'll come with time :)

Brittany
I'm planning to prepare baby food by myself. I changed my eating habits completely when I started breastfeeding and feel much better, so I decided to try with L's food. I don;t know how I'll manage with it (time!) but I'm really willing to give it a try
Maybe Aiden is not ready to sleep alone? It seems that your DH is, but you aren't. Just do it when you feel like it and I;m sure it's going to be just fine :)

Vit k is optional here directly after birth, I said yes but I know a lot of people opt out of it, so don't worry, you aren't lagging too much on that one!!!

The time has completely flown hasn't it?! It's scary how big the baby are getting!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->