First time mum and SUA :< Can I rant for a bit?

Jitter

Reaction score
So I found out about the single umbilical artery my daughter has at my 21 week scan and I'm 23 weeks now. I thought hey if the lady doing my scan says my baby will be on the small side it won't be a big deal but upon looking online, I am very angry she didn't tell me EVERYTHING about it!

It puts my pregnancy at an even higher risk than what it was at already. I already have minor praevia and the fact I'm overweight does not help either. I am in the 1% of people with SUA, and I know it's the most common abnormality of the umbilical cord, but it's scary.

Because I've heard about babies being premature, being stillborn, having heart problems, having chromosome problems, going into labor as early as 25 weeks. Okay, so all of these are possibilities but have a low chance. And according to online only 75% of babies with an umbilical cord like that are fine and healthy. But I'm scared.

I have to have 4 other scans before the baby is born to monitor growth and organs. This is my first child ever, and I wanted like anyone else to have a healthy pregnancy. And I've been trying extremely hard to be healthier for the baby. But I am terrified something will happen before my due date. :nope:

Unfortunately ultrasound techs aren't allowed to tell the whole story :( only a doctor or midwife can. They also probably didn't want you worrying.
Stay away from the what to expect app. It seems like every other day a woman's baby was born before 26 weeks and the baby passed away shortly after birth. I have been giving myself nightmares! Every little ache or pain is something wrong, I start itching or think I have high blood pressure my mind goes straight to preeclampsia, ICP, and HELLP! I will have just made 25 weeks tomorrow and every day I just say a prayer we make it one more day and every week I pray to make it one more week! I had a blighted ovum with my first pregnancy so this baby has become my world!

I don't have anyadvice but I will be praying for you and your baby! It sounds like you have great odds though

Hey! I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. All I can say is, just try to stay positive and focus on the 75% of pregnancies with SUA that result in healthy deliveries & babies. I am sure that is exactly what will happen with you.

Please stay of Google and just relax. I freaked myself out sooo much during my 1st pregnancy and was a nervous wreck. I was constantly worried and ended up with a consistently high heart rate and two ER trips. The internet can be a blessing or hell. So use it appropriately. Get guidance from your doctor only and don't read stories online. You still have some more months to go til delivery and you should enjoy this time fully before you become a mommy!

Thanks guys! I think I'm a bit calmer today.. I felt baby kick last night for a bit (So I know she's okay in there!) I always get really worried when I don't feel kicks but she's alive and kicking haha

I have an US appointment on the 27th of the month so they get to see more and tell me more then. <3 :hugs:

I agree with PP - stay of Google. You will do your baby and yourself a world of good in you believe that your little one will be in the 3 out of 4 (that's great odds) that don't have any problems.

FX for your appointment. :hugs:

I don't have any advice for you but Im praying for you and your baby ...

Sometimes doctor don't tell you the whole story because they don't want you to stress about it. I had that discussion with my doctor and told him that didn't help at all as you google it anyway.. I got scolded for trusting whatever I find online writen by whoever haha.. Bottom line, if they think everything will be fine because it most often is, they'll monitor you and don't want you obessing about it more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->