First Timer Weight Gain!

My ob has been harassing me about my weight gain and I really don't know why. I was 138 before pregnancy (5'8) and now I'm 153 at 26 weeks. It kinda is making me mad that she keeps saying I'm putting on weight too quickly. Now I'm all super OCD about my weight and feel fat and ugly. Don't be like me. Ignore the scale. It really isn't that important unless you're developing gestational diabetes or something.

OP I think you look great!! Your body is probably just making sure you have enough and weight gain will slow down :) Try not to stress although I know it is so hard! I'm plus size and Dr only wants me to gain 10-12lbs and so far I have gained 7lbs and I'm only 22weeks. I eat healthy, walk at least 30 mins a day but I started counting calories and feel like I'm obsessing about it :(

Thanks everyone for all the reassuring tid bits of advice. I hope this thread is helpful to other first timers. I will update after my appointment.

You look great bakeranm99!! As the other girls have said try and ignore the number on the scale and go more by how you feel- if you feel better eating more often then do it! Your baby needs it, and it's probably more healthy to put on a couple extra pounds than not enough at this point. I am a first timer too who struggled to see the numbers go up on the scale, and once I hit the middle of the second trimester I stopped looking at the scale at my appointments. I was up 18 pounds by 20 weeks, but have no idea what I'm at now. To keep myself less stressed about the gaining my midwife suggested walking daily, and I was walking a few times a week but now that I do it every day I mentally feel much better about the weight I'm gaining and know that it's healthy weight for baby to grow. Plus as the others have said it will come off after baby is born! xx

Thanks everyone for all the reassuring tid bits of advice. I hope this thread is helpful to other first timers. I will update after my appointment.

You've really helped me. I've put on 28lbs so far. I definitely haven't made the best choices with my eating habits up until a couple of weeks ago and I was feeling so guilty :blush:

I feel alot better now though, thank you :hugs:

This is a great thread. I too was 133# prior to pregnancy and now weigh 159-160 (depending on scale). I was active prior to pregnancy but when I got pregnant I felt awful for the first 9-10 wks. I have eaten balanced with cravings of course, but I feel like overall I'm making good choices. I try to work out 2-3/wk now. I don't feel bad but then the scale freaks me out or I feel overly sensitive to comments. At times, I don't like the constant monitoring by people- it is like you are being constantly watched/critiqued. It is so reassuring to read all of these posts. I think our bodies know what they are doing! Many thanks.

ive not once been weighed by my midwife or hospital... is this normal? any one else not been weighed at all?

My midwife didn't weigh me. She said if she thought there was something to worry about she might get the scales out but was always happy (even though I put on 55lbs). So I guess you don't HAVE to be weighed.

ahh cool, i guess every midwife does it differently. maybe i dont look over weight or something

Well, update from the doctor. She isn't even slightly concerned about the weight gain. From their records, which are different than mine, they have be at gaining 28 lbs in 26 weeks, as opposed to the 30-33 I was thinking I had gained. She measured my belly, and it was measuring perfectly at 26cm. She, and my mom, said that the weight gain should slow down at the end of the pregnancy. I hope so. I guess I just feel bigger than I am. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->