First Timer Weight Gain!

bakeranm99

Reaction score
So, I'm kind of embarrassed to post this, but my weight gain has me freaked out!

I don't get it, I exercise most weeks a few days a week (2-3), I have worked (as a waitress--tons of walking) through 24 weeks at least 3 days a week, and I try to make good food choices. I eat for nutritional value most the time-even worry about eating right (Ex. DH left me a chocolate doughnut this morning, I ate it, but immediately downed a protein bar because I was afraid my blood sugar would drop from it.) My weight gain tonight was 166! I was 133 pre-pregnancy. I am only 25 weeks, why have I gained so much. It makes me fearful of gestational diabetes, not being able to lose the weight, and unhealthy BMI. It can't be healthy to gain this much weight... I know some of it is because it is the evening, and those weights are always more, but I am still putting myself at least 30lbs gained thus far. I'm afraid of eating too much, or eating too little, because I don't want another blood sugar crash. The thing is, the more I eat, the better I feel. In the morning, I feel like total crap, no energy, no alertness, but after breakfast, lunch, and 2 snacks, I start feeling really great. I don't know what to do. Overall, I still feel decent, not too many aches, the belly stretching pains have subsided some, digestive system is working well; just a bit more tired than I had been the past couple weeks.

What to do, what to do? Should I just try to eat even healthier? Should I add a couple more days of exercise? I just don't want to gain too much overall! Thanks ladies for any advice!

i think our bodies will just do what it wants! i havent exercised as much as i would like and lately ive been eating alot more. but before a couple weeks ago i wasnt eating to bad.
i had gained 20 pounds a couple weeks ago so by now i reckon its even more and im the same week as you.

i was 126 pounds at the start so again were roughly same weight, were you quite toned/fit? i think sometimes we have to put on a little more fat if so x

oh and you look lovely in your picture by the way :) ive decided to stop weighing myself ive put the scales away.

I think we just do what makes us feel healthy...that way we know we are doing whats best for the baby. If it makes you feel better...with your weight gain...you look absolutely fantastic in that picture! You look super fit so it's definitely a healthy gain! I wouldn't worry!

I'm just over 18 weeks and I have gained 8 pounds to date. I started off at 114 pounds and am currently 122. I eat a lot of healthy food but I do eat junk food too. I walk 30-40 minutes 5-7 days a week so I think I keep a good balance on things.

Everyone's different and if you're eating healthy and feel good then all is well!

Please don't stress over the weight gain and let your body take control. Eat when you feel you need to eat and continue to do things like exercise, because it is good for you and baby...not because you want to keep weight gain down. I have a friend who just gave birth less than 2 weeks ago and in one week following birth she lost 31 lbs. I'm not saying you won't have to put any work into getting back down after the baby is born but you can lose the weight! Try to trust your body and trust your doctors.

Agree with above poster to put away the scale - the numbers can go up or down depending on how much you drink/sweat/retain water etc! Don't torture yourself with exact numbers girl. Just stick to your balanced lifestyle and know you're growing a life - and to some extent - your body is just going to do exactly as it pleases :) you look gorgeous in your pic!! All will be fine and everything will go back after baby - try not to worry!

I agree with the others. For the most part, I think our bodies know what to do and what it needs to support baby. I'm freaking out a little too, since I'm now 17 weeks and have gained 15lbs. I exercise sometimes twice a day, but my appetite is insane.

It sounds like you're doing everything right..it's just hard to know how our bodies respond to pregnancy. ..I'm a first-timer too. I think you'll be just fine, but if you're overly concerned, I would bring it up at your next OB appt. X

I am a firm believer that your body will do what it wants in pregnancy, and there's no changing it. (Unless you are eating like an absolute pig and gaining 70+ lbs) Since getting pregnant, I have exercised very little and do not eat healthy and at 24 weeks I haven't gained a pound.

Thanks for all the feedback. I see my doctor on Tuesday, so I will speak with her as well. I do eat pretty healthy most the time. I don't like eating a lot of processed and sugary foods. I exercised about 4-5 days a week pre-pregnancy; After I got pregnant, I was sick feeling everyday from nausea, blood sugar dips, and blood pressure drops, so I quit working out until week 16. I did lose 19 lbs from May 2012-November 2012, from stress and anxiety after my miscarriage last year. So I was much lighter than I had been in 5 years when I got pregnant. Hopefully my body is just doing what is needed to grow this baby. Here is a more recent picture from 24 weeks.

Attachments

• 24-2.jpg
    24-2.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 108
Same issue here! I gained 35 already! I started at 130 and am now 165!! Freaking out. However I learned in my last pregnancy that my body will just do whatever it wants ...last time I gained 75 pounds total! It was misery but I lost it all and more in less than 6 months so I have a more carefree attitude this time. Don't worry too much, everything comes off after baby just roll with it for now. If u are hungry, eat :)

Same issue here! I gained 35 already! I started at 130 and am now 165!! Freaking out. However I learned in my last pregnancy that my body will just do whatever it wants ...last time I gained 75 pounds total! It was misery but I lost it all and more in less than 6 months so I have a more carefree attitude this time. Don't worry too much, everything comes off after baby just roll with it for now. If u are hungry, eat :)

Thanks that helps to hear someone with the exact same weight as me. I was hoping to only gain 40 lbs., but I guess it will be a bit higher. As long as it comes off at the end...

This is a very sensitive and frustrating topic for me too. I'm 24 weeks and I've gained 25 pounds. My provider told me this week that if I keep gaining at this rate they are going to send me to a maternal weight and wellness person...great. Supposedly the baby and I are at more risk if I gain more than 50 pounds.

Quite frankly I feel good. I've been working out 5 x a week at the gym and have gained back some of my morning sickness muscle loss. I don't eat perfect...but that's why I work out!! haha. But I am trying to watch my weight more because I'm tired of getting lectured every time I have a prenatal appointment. I feel your pain!

I agree with the other people on here too. Although I wouldn't really know as this is my first as well. I've been kind of worried about this situation as well, as I feel like I've gain a lot but I refuse to weight myself because I know it will only make it worse.

Your last picture looks pretty good, you don't look unhealthy. I actually am kind of embarrassed to post a picture of my bump now because at 14 weeks I swear I look as far along as you. but then again my starting weight was 155...so not sure on that one. I think your doing ok though and wouldn't worry unless you start to feel physically like your not doing well.

Oh, you shouldn't be afraid to post a bump picture! I love the My Bumps thread, it's crazy how different every woman's bump is; And you get positive feedback from the ladies, as opposed to the negative feedback you hear from society. I had a woman today tell me I looked I was 9 months pregnant, "Yea... thanks".

Physically, I have had more issues with low blood pressure (I have ranged from 98/70-115/70), which is usually a sign that I am pretty healthy. I also have had issues with low blood sugar in first trimester and just recently had a scary crash. I always thought I would have issues with overeating, not undereating in pregnancy. We will see what the doctor has to say later...

You look great in your avatar pic! I have gained 25lbs so far at 25wks going from 129 to 154lbs. Like you I don't feel like I eat that much but the weight is just piling on!

I agree with the people that said your body is just doing what it needs too.

I put on 55lbs with my first baby and lost it all within 5 months (plus a little extra for good measure). I think I'm just a gainer during pregnancy. I'm just letting it happen because last time it resulted in a happy healthy baby. :)

So happy for this thread... I don't feel like I eat healthy due to cravings and food aversions, and my aversions are just... to simply everything. Never even know what to eat these days. I feel I gained more than expected and my belly is popping out and for sure I know it's not baby just what my body looks like when I'm heavier.. but thanks to you inspiring ladies out there I won't worry about it and just go with the flow. During this pregnancy my caretaker advised against exercise and any physical activity pretty much due to bleeding so I can't even exercise to make myself feel better. But I was fit and active prior to pregnancy and even ate healthy so I will just trust that I will be able to get that kind of lifestyle back post birth.

BTW, bakeranm99: your pics look GREAT! Your avatar and even the pic you attached. Your bump is gorgeous and you look lovely :hugs:

Oh, just thought of this: I'm willing to bet that a good portion of your weight gain could be due to water retention and not just fat. ..so that's something to think about.

P.S. Your recent pic looks great! You look very healthy:)

Ah you look great, try not to worry. I gained 60lb with my first, but looking back at my pictures, I didn't look big. I wasn't eating like a whopper or anything, and I'd lost it all 6 months postpartum. I think some girls' bodies just seem to grab fat more than others. I'm not eating horrifically now, but I've put on 21lbs and I am only 25 weeks xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->