First timer

jadesarah

Reaction score
So im currently 29+2, and this is my first, She's due 29th June and we can't wait to meet her, however im also so nervous about the whole thing. Giving birth- my pain threshold is not very good and im such a wimp, thinking of water birth and gas and air but just not sure... being able to cope when she is here- I've never changed a nappy nor have i ever fed or winded a baby before.

Just courious about how far first timers normally go... I've heard many are normally late, but then i've heard some be 2 weeks early etc ?

Also we are going on holiday end of May when i'll be 36 weeks, we're going away in uk so no flying but will be a 3 hour drive to destination... is it wise to take my hospital bag with me ?

Feel like im having a 3rd trimester break down :-(

Hi there,

You just have to try to be positive and tell your self that you can do it, yes it is going to be painful but it is a positive pain because at the end of it you have your lovely baby and you just have to take it a contraction at a time etc and think that's one less contraction till you meet your baby. I was similar to you when I had DS1 and I thought I wouldn't cope with the pain etc but I also DID NOT want an epidural and im not a fan of hospitals and terribly phobic of needles but I had him with just gas and air in the end (I had some pethidine but it wasn't effective and plus they gave it me too late as I was fully dilated and shouldn't have had it)!!

I was also not the most maternal person and had like yourself never changed a nappy or fed a baby etc but you would be so surprised how naturally it all comes to and just don't be afraid to ask for help from the midwives!
With DS2 I had a water birth with a few puffs on the gas and air but ended up chucking it away :haha: as it was just getting in the way (don't know how lol)! I would thoroughly recommend a water birth it was fantastic and am hoping to do the same again this time round! :thumbup:

You just have to relax and give in to your body and let it do what it is made to do.....you will do just fine!! :flower:

Oh and I would say it would be a good idea to take your hospital bag and notes with you on holiday if your going to be 36 weeks chances are nothing will happen but it is better to be safe than sorry! :winkwink:

I've heard most people on here saying that with their first they actually when past 40 weeks. I think at 36 weeks you should be ok just make sure it's ok with your midwife/doctor and definitely take your hospital bag with you just in case.

Hiya, I see u are due 2 days after me :)

I went a week over due with my first but I would still take your hospital bag to be on the safe side, better to have it and not need it than the other way round lol.

How your feeling is totally normal, especially as a first time mum..I remember when my DS the midwife in delivery dressed him and when he had his hip scan the next morning they undressed him to his nappy and gave him back to me...I was like 'AAAAGGGHH how do I dress him?!?!' lol.

Take your time and dont be afraid to ask for help, if u know anyone thats due before u or hasd a baby see if you can get some practice in. But im sure once your baby is here your maternal insinct kicks in and before long you will wonder what you were worried about :)

I am still scared now how I'll cope and this is my third, but for different reasons. When my 2 are bickering and arguing I think OMG how will I cope with this with a newborn thrown in!! But we will manage :)

One thing I would recommend for your birth plan is keep an open mind, the best advice I was given was dont be a martyr, if you need an epidural, then have one. Also I would say give the gas chance to work...the first few puffs will probably make you queasy but keep going and that passes, then you will bite anyones hand off if they try and take it from you :rofl: Take it all as it comes and let your body take over.

Good luck xxx

Hi, just wanted to comment as I am in a very similar situation. This is my first child, I'm really worried for the birth as I too have a low pain threshold, but I am open to all avenues so whatever I need on the day in terms of pain relief I will be up for! I've never changed a nappy or really held a baby for longer than half an hour, so it's all new to me. It's not been that I haven't wanted to, it's just that there haven't been a lot of babies around me.
Where are you from?
Xx

We have he same due date yay! Lol but this is my 3rd. And as far as pain I'm a huge baby! Huge baby I tell ya lol with my first I had the epi as soon as I could with my 2nd there was no time but it wasn't anything as I thought it didn't hurt hurt its a completly diff pain and if you stay focused its not to bad with that do what you can don't make a birth plan and say this is what's going to happen no matter what mentally prep yourself for things to change don't beat yourself up if you get an epi! That being said I'm being induce with this one and hopping my induction can start with waters being broke and no pain meds.

My first came at 38 weeks, after a holiday in the uk at 36 weeks, I would recommend taking your hospital bag and car seat (unless you are prepared to buy a new one) as if you do end up giving birth you're not allowed to take baby home in the car without one.

I will be going away again at 36 weeks and will be prepared, it takes the stress and what if's out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->