First trimester weight gain?

poutie

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm 8 weeks pregnant and I've gained about 3 pounds since I found out I was pregnant. I'm wondering what the normal rate of weight gain is. I know it probably depends on height and build, and what my bmi is. I am 5'7 and 108-110 pounds has been my weight since after I had my son 3 years ago. I don't know if any of this matters. :shrug:

I keep seeing that a 3 to 6 pound weight gain is good if you are at a normal weight. At your height your BMI is on the low end I think isn't it, in which case aiming for that 6 pound number might make sense. I have a high BMI so I'm aiming to gain none at all 1st tri. So it is really individualized, what did your midwife say?

I actually didn't think to bring it up at my appointment! :dohh: But I have another appointment on the 18th of this month, I better remember to ask lol. I feel like I'm gaining weight normally, because I heard you should eat about 300 calories more a day when pregnant, and I have been eating a little bit more than I did before I was pregnant. So we'll see!

The 300 cal extra per day recommendation is actually for 2nd and 3rd tris, you don't need any extra calories during the first tri. However you DO need a LOT of extra nutrients so what a lot recommend is for you to cut out anything empty calories and replace it with stuff that is really very high in nutrient density to help supply all your needs. If you are underweight or were under eating before though, I'm sure the extra won't hurt you too much. Just that is the usual guidelines I see.

Oh, thank you patooti! I didn't realize it was for 2nd and 3rd tri. But, like you said, it probably wouldn't hurt to eat a little more. I'm definitely trying to maintain a healthy, balanced diet. And drinking lots of water! Which I tend to have trouble drinking as much as I need to! :dohh:

I've lost nearly a stone since being pregnant due to sickness, it's really knocked me around but I'm getting there slowly

I'm not sure if you're worried that's too much or too little, but at 6 weeks I was up 2lbs, some days 3lbs, and was worried that meant I'd gain a ton while I was pregnant. I weighed today and am up 1.5lbs (from pre-preg weight) 4 weeks later...I think a lot of my weight gain from BFP to 8 wks was water weight/bloating and it went away. I think I truly have gained 1-2lbs, but I've fluctuated a LOT since 8 wks.

Like the others said, anywhere from 3-5lbs is what I've heard to be "normal" in the first tri (though some lose from morning sickness...I haven't had much of that, though).

As soon as the sickness disappears I'm sure I'll be gaining the correct amount of weight! Can't wait till I can start enjoying eatting again! ATM I've completely gone off food, especially chicken it makes me heave just smelling it! I have to be very quick to eat when I fancy something, because as soon as I fancy something, the fancy disappears as quick as it came lol! I've wasted so many fresh foods due to this! I fancied some soup from the cartons the other week, as soon as It was in my fridge I was heaving at the thought of eatting it, I had to chuck it

I have gained 6 pounds ! I was worried it was too much already but doc said its okay, I think it depends on your weight and BMI too

Of course it varies from person to person, but I've been told the average is to gain 1-6lbs during the 1st trimester, give or take. 2nd and 3rd trimester you should be eating more and gain an average of 1-2lbs per week.

I've actually lost weight in my first trimester due to morning sickness not allowing me to eat much, and just eating more healthy overall than I did before being pregnant.

:( I am 12w1d and I have gained 10lbs so far. Pretty sure I will reach 40lbs by the end. :(

Yes being pregnant has gotten me to eat a healthier diet than before. :flower:

I'm your height and weighed in about 118 at 13 weeks (didn't really weigh myself before, but have been 105-115 for years now).
I think the important thing is to NOT think about the weight, but just pay attention to your body. You can definitely keep moving so you don't gain extra weight that'll stick with you post- pregnancy, but it's good to make sure your baby gets the nutrients they need.
My current doc said I should be gaining about 2 pounds per month until I gain a lot at the end and that I should gain 40 pounds by the end of it (expecting twins) my old doc told me I'd gain 50 lbs. by the end. 2 lb x 9 months is 18 pounds. I find it hard to believe I'll be gaining that 22-32 lbs. all at the end of pregnancy, but I'm no doctor...
If you're anything like me you'll be Freaking out over the weight gain/ bloat. Don't. It'll turn into a bump soon enough :)

My pregnancy book said that a weight gain of 4 lbs is normal during 1st tri. I lost 9 lbs ever since I got pregnant due to ms and only gained 2 lbs of it back. I am currently 11 weeks pregnant.

Im currently about 4/5 lbs less than pre pregnancy but i have a high BMI and nausea/morning sickness much worse than last time so hopefully my overall weight gain will be minimal.

Last time I gained about 20lbs in the first trimester, maybe more. My sickness is the type that is only calmed by eating but then comes back as soon as you stop eating, so I ate ALOT! This time around I'm on medication for it so have only gained 7 or 8lbs. Still probably more than recommended but I'm fine with it.

I'm trying to be careful this time around. Last time I gained 10lb in the first trimester and went on to gain 65lb in total! I don't want to gain the same again, especially as I still have 10lb left making my bmi nearly 27. Ideally I will gain 0-2lb in the 1st tri this time x

Im only 9 weeks and I have gained 3 pounds. :) hopefully I can keep it to a minimum cause my BMI is already 27 :/

Ive gained 6 lbs and i am still on week 7, i havent been eating more than usual and my BMI is normal (23) so i really dont know why i gained this much this fast

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->