First ultrasound at 8 weeks, but only measuring 6!

bostonblonde

Reaction score
I am so worried I feel like I'm going to cry. I have avoided this forum for a few weeks since getting my BFP so I wouldn't worry too much, but here I am again.

Well, today was my first prenatal visit, as well as my first ultrasound. I'm 8 weeks by date. But the ultrasound showed the baby is only 6 weeks. I knew right away when I saw the embryo on the monitor that it looked far too small for 8 weeks.

My DH came in with me, and thankfully we saw the heartbeat. It was 111 beats per minute, which is okay for 6 weeks, but NOT good if I was really 8 weeks.

They have scheduled me a follow up ultrasound next week just as an added precaution, to make sure I really am only 6 weeks and that it's still growing.

I don't know why it would be two weeks off. :nope: My cycles are very regular, about 29 days. The only thing strange about the cycle I conceived was I never got a positive ovulation test (tested 7 of my "most fertile" days). Also, I got a BFN on the day my period was due, which is strange because usually they detect something by then.

So I am just hoping I ovulated very late or something?

Has anyone experienced this worry? Does this mean I might lose my baby :(

The fact there was a heartbeat is a good sign :hugs: Did they say if they are happy with the measurements if you are 6 weeks? Personally it sounds like you oulated late, with no +OPK at the usual time and a late BFP. Hope everything is ok, try to stay positive xxx

I have never had this but just wanted to say stay positive, a heartbeat is a brilliant sign. Stay positive, hope everything turns out well :) x

I agree with previous posters! A heartbeat is a great sign! It sounds like you may have ovulated late. When did you get a BFP? Were you testing everyday from the day of your expected missed period until you got your BFP? Also, keep in mind that the eggy takes anywhere from 7-10 days for implantation to occur.

I think it's very likely that you ovulated later. If you had no positive OPK's and a BFN the day you expected your period then everything points to late ovulation. Were you a bit more stressed during your normal ovulation time?

On my first scan at 7 weeks they put me at 6 weeks and she just told me she couldn't check the heart rate, but said it looked like it was beating fast enough. I know she could see exactly how fast, she probably just didn't want me to worry. The next scan I was put back at my original date. My baby just didn't grow as quick to start but then he caught up. Maybe it's the same with yours? :flower:

Hi, try not to worry, as the girls have said, heartbeat is a very good thing so that should give you some reassurance. I have been put back by two weeks also which has thrown me a bit because I had it in my head the size and development of the baby from reading week by week development and now I'm right back at 11 weeks instead of 13 but the sonographer (like yours) said she couldn't tell me 100 percent and so will do that on the 19th. I asked her if it might be that baby has just developed slower and again, she said she wasn't sure........
On the other hand it did take me quite a while to get a positive test result and so late ovulation seems a possibility with dates being put back.
Best of luck for your next scan. x

I would just like to say not to worry as well, with my dates i should of been 9 weeks when had my scan but i was showing as 6 weeks, they got me in a week later and it showed i was 6/7 weeks by then and everything was fine and that my dates we're just out, but i did know when my conception date was, so i kinda new my dates were wrong xxx

It sounds to me like you'd have ovulated late, given the OPK results and the BFN when you were due on.

I know it's very easy to say but TRY not to worry, I have a feeling you're off with your dates and all will be fine!

:hugs:

Hiya, my friend assumed she ovulated smack bang in middle of her cycle and was trying for months, she bought an ovulation test and she actually became fertile 4 days in to her cycle and got preg straight away! you may have the same kind of this but ovulate at the end of your cycle. A heartbeat is such a positive sign, try not to worry (although i know thats hard) x

I have to agree, its hard not to worry but you have good heartbeat and like everyone said you probably ovulated later so it threw everything off, I'm pretty sure they just want a second scan so that they can watch the progress of the bubs, everything will be fine. :flower:

hun on my first scan the same thing happened. By my dates i was 8wks and due on the 16th may but they put me back to 6 wks and due on the 2nd june. Try not to worry, the fact that there was a heartrate is a really good sign.

:hugs: Hang in there! I know the waiting is just terrible! Something similar is happening to me too! The first day of my last period was March 17th, which would make me almost 8 weeks, but i think I ovulated late and I'm only almost 6 weeks.

My HCG levels were VERY low for almost 8 weeks, but perfect for almost 6 weeks pregnant. They are rising perfectly now, but it really scared me and my OB doc for a minute! I asked her about late ovulation and she said that is very much a possibility of what happened.

I tested negative for weeks, even a week or two after my missed period. And finally on April 27th I got my beautiful :bfp:!!

:hugs: The best advice my doctor gave me when I started freaking out: HAVE FAITH!! I repeat it to myself about 20 times daily! :hugs:

Hi

I went for an early scan on Wednesday and thought i was 7 weeks based on my LMP - however pip was measuring at 5 week 3 days - I had a sac, yolk and fetal pole present - and have to go for a follow up scan next week. I felt pretty scared as I am having brown discharge however from what I gather working out you EDD based on LMP is only accurate if you have a 'text book perfect 28 day cycle where you ovulate on day 14 etc - I know I ovulated on day 19/20 as we had IUI so am hoping this is accounting for my dates :shrug: I know it's worrying but you have seen a heartbeat - that's a great sign - keeping my fingers crossed for you but i am sure everything is fine.

Just wanted to say a big thank all of you. You don't understand how much your reassuring words have helped me. I was in tears and shaking with worry all day yesterday, but now I am feeling hopeful and actually starting to feel happy again. Honestly, I can't thank all of you enough! :hugs::hug:

The same thing happened to me today. What was your outcome? I know for sure my cycles are on time yet I should have been 8wks today and they say I'm only measuring 6 weeks. I have another ultrasound in 4 weeks, but my doctors told me not to worry since the heartrate was 129. She said I don't need the ultrasound as long as we hear a heartbeat, but I really would feel better knowing everything measures fine. Plus I get to see my little bean again :) $203 out of pocket for the extra u/s and peace of mind won't be so bad.

They put me 4 whole weeks back, and that's where we still are. Strong hb at both 6 and 8 weeks. I figure baby will come when its ready!

The same thing happened to me-although I dont understand why everyone, docs included- say maybe you ovd late? Going by lmp I should be 8 weeks, but unless I got pregnant on cd1 of my period, theres no way. I didnt ov till almost 19 days after the first day of my period. 6 weeks counting back to that day was bang on. Personally, I think they should throw that lmp bs out the window. Makes no sense seeing as you arent preg those first two weeks in most cases. From now on Im taking everything doctors say with a grain of salt, bc imo if they cant figure this stuff out but I can, Idk they certainly arent professional or what I thought they were.

A heartbeat is superb, and as long as the growth is consistent, Id be elated. :)

HI Just got back from the hospital and had exactly the same thing happen, but no heart beat! Can´t stop crying, they won´t know for another week if I ovulated late or if it died at 6 weeks. I don´t know how I am going to get through this week. I also have pains which is why I went to the hospital, and I´m terrified it is my body getting ready to eject the baby. Feel so miserable,poor OH doesn´t know what to do with himself. ANyone esle not see a heart beat at 6 weeks?

I hear it's unusual to see it that early. Most of the time it's at least 7 weeks, and sometimes not even then.

Hi, Just wondering how you went? i went for what i thought was my 8 week scan yesterday and got told i was only 6 and they couldn't find the heart beat. I have been for a blood test today and my doc should know by those results if i have miscarried or not. Hopefully find out that tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->